General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Intake Resonator

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bhayes82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Intake Resonator

Has anyone taken the intake resonator apart?

It looks to me like it has two main pieces, bonded by either thin plastic "lips" around the edges that were melted together, or using a black silicone/glue seal. the reason i ask is because i'd like to run a 3" flexible aluminum tube through it. why not just run the tube without the resonator, or buy an intake?

1) i don't want to spend $200 for something that *might* give me 2 extra HP
2) the resonator (as a casing around the pipe) would act as extra insulaton against heat
3) it would look totally stock
4) my idea just sounds cool, dammit! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

anyways, even if the tube thing doesn't work out, i'd still like to take a peek inside of it. besides taking my dremel to it, do you think i could try sticking it in the oven (at 190F for 5min, just like the headlights)?
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

ShadyMilkMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Why dont you just take it out?
Old 04-18-2002
9K Redline Owns U
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
if u take out the intake resonatot it sounds like crap i think. just get the intake. it is worth it.
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

i already DID take it out -- i asked how to take it APART [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-18-2002
9K Redline Owns U

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
oh ok take it apart. i think it is sealed by silicon. so heat it up some and then try to pry it open or cut it open a razor blade. if that doesnt work then just beat the crap out of it. good luck.
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds pretty much the same without the resonator or an actual intake.
Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
taking out the resonator you lose what little low end torque you have.

and ive studdied it immensly, i wanted to take it aprt to figure out how it worked. its melted shut =/
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point

<< taking out the resonator you lose what little low end torque you have.

and ive studdied it immensly, i wanted to take it aprt to figure out how it worked. its melted shut =/
>>

show me your data on torque loss w/o resonator......

edit: and not something measure on an "*** dyno" [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] I personally don't believe your going to lose anything more than maybe 0.5 ft/lbs at peak torque due to the engine bay heat, and the resonator is too restrictive at high engine speed [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
dont hate me avenger.....im just a messenger.... [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

just repeating what ive been told, and what i have noticed in teh car myself. of course, then again, my friend swore that i had INCREASED my power by taking that thing out.....

but anytime i ask my friends that build cars, or anyone online about it, they say it gives a small benefit of increasesd high end HP, at a cost of a bit of low end torque.

now, we have so little low end torque as it is, why take more away? i spend more time under 2000 RPM than ill ever spend above.....

and you have to admit that the sound is without a doubt rice.... if you disagree with me you have never driven your car on the freeway......

and proof? if there is conceptual evidence that is all i need. noone is gonna pay for a dyno test for something so silly.

if you think you can feel a gain, have fun, riceboi [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] more power to ya [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-19-2002
Registered!!

so, to recap:

<< 1) i don't want to spend $200 for something that *might* give me 2 extra HP
2) the resonator (as a casing around the pipe) would act as extra insulaton against heat
3) it would look totally stock
4) my idea just sounds cool, dammit! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
>>

1) i dont either. thats why my car will remain stock from a "performace" standpoint (what performance??)
2) it sure would! =/ ([IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] )
3) it surely would again! =/=/ ([IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] )
4) no, it sounds like rice. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]

i think that EVERYONE should run their cars without the resonator and drive around alot for a week, to see what its like. no, really. on the streets its not so bad assuming you never floor it, but once you do, rice gets caught up in yoru engine real easy![IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

leave it in till you get a $75843750493 intake to get your 2 HP. or leave it stock and drive your civic for what it is. an economy car. a daily driver. a 300,000 mile plus engine car when you take care of it.
Old 04-20-2002
Registered!!

<< dont hate me avenger.....im just a messenger.... [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

just repeating what ive been told, and what i have noticed in teh car myself. of course, then again, my friend swore that i had INCREASED my power by taking that thing out.....

but anytime i ask my friends that build cars, or anyone online about it, they say it gives a small benefit of increasesd high end HP, at a cost of a bit of low end torque.

now, we have so little low end torque as it is, why take more away? i spend more time under 2000 RPM than ill ever spend above.....

and you have to admit that the sound is without a doubt rice.... if you disagree with me you have never driven your car on the freeway......

and proof? if there is conceptual evidence that is all i need. noone is gonna pay for a dyno test for something so silly.

if you think you can feel a gain, have fun, riceboi [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] more power to ya [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
>>

ahem...
this... is a flame:

My post about "proof" was not a flame

you said...

<< and ive studdied it immensly, >>

so I asked....

in my experience i don't think its gonna cause torque loss, but I'm always open to new data....
oh, but you wanted a flame... so here... i posted it once before, but this is for you:

Old 04-20-2002
Registered!!

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

I'm Invinceebole!
Old 04-20-2002
Registered!!

i like to flame people [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-21-2002
Si(R) killer # 1

CoupeStylz is an unknown quantity at this point
This topic has been discussed over and over again. I took out my resonator an noticed a loss of low-end torque. step on the gas in third at 2000rpm and the car does not accellerate at all! Most members agree that there is a substantial loss of torque, for whatever reason.
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

SaiyanMatador is an unknown quantity at this point
Saiyanmatador,in

holy bejesus that was the funniest crrraaaapp ive seen in awhile and wow i laughed my aaaasssssssshole off, hejeej

Saiyanmatador,out

satin saiyan 7thgen civic lx coupe satin silver metallic ILLUSIVE Imports member
Old 04-30-2002
Still in the game...

scatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to behold
I bought AEM CAI for 183.90 from RacingWorks.com and i pulled evrything out of the civic and installed it in about two hours. Its not that hard and it comes with a couple pages of instructions and diagrams..
Old 08-02-2002
Registered!!

supercivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I am trying to take it apart right now. Here's what I know so far. The plastic is melted together, there are seperate chambers. As far as l know, there are only two, the main pipe and outlets into the second end of the pipe that I am attempting to close with 2.5"X5.5" sheets of tape. This should make it a straight pipe if these are the only openings to the secondary chamber. My only worry is that the tape may come loose and get clogged in the pipe. Also, 3" ducting wont fit. There are little holes at the bottom of the resonator that allow air to escape. It will help if you seal those up.
Old 08-04-2002
Registered!!

cool! let us know how it works.
Old 08-05-2002
Registered!!

3dStylz is an unknown quantity at this point
I also agree there is a loss of torque because I did notice a dramatic increase when I added a CAI from having the resonator out. So I think it made it seem there was alot more of a difference since I had the resonator out b4 I added the intake