General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Do i have LSD or open diff in transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boostnm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do i have LSD or open diff in transmission?

Ok the car has a jdm b18c. Im having a nightmare trying to figure out what half shaft i have, what transmission, axle the whole nine. I bought 2 half shafts from acura's and each one leaked. When i put the half shaft back in that came with the car, no more leaks. So im just going to rebuild the axle in the car. I ordered left inner boots for a 95 acura integra gsr. The boot is so tight i cant get it on the axle. Now im wondering if the car maybe has civic si axles. The part numbers are different for boots and axles. This car is driving me nuts now. Ive been working on the axle and messing with it for 3 days now. The half shafts off the integra would not line up good with the 3 bolt holes that hold it in. The top bolt hole lined up but had a gap of about 1/2" away from the half shaft. So when you would tighten it down, it would cause the halfshaft to move just enough to cause oil to leak through the seal.

Anyways i am babbling on. Now im waiting on another boot kit. The weird thing now is when i lift the vehicle and drive it on the lift, the drivers side halfshaft spins, and the passenger side sits still. Doesnt spin at all. Is this normal. Supposedly the transmission is jdm also. I always thought the passenger side is supposed to spin. Also if i hold the halfshaft with my left hand and spin the passenger wheel by hand, i can keep the half shaft from spinning. When i let go it spins with the passenger wheel. Is this normal or what? I had it on the lift driving to make sure no more leaks from half shaft seal and thats when my dad tells me the half shaft is spinning but the passenger wheel is sitting still. Please help, im new to all this engine tranny swapping and hondas in general. Im beginning to regret buying something that has been swapped.
Old 01-26-2010
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
Re: Do i have LSD or open diff in transmission?

put the car in the air, spin one wheel in either direction by hand, if the other wheel spins the opposite direction, you have an open diff. If it spins the same direction you have an LSD.
Old 01-26-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by skipbarber
put the car in the air, spin one wheel in either direction by hand, if the other wheel spins the opposite direction, you have an open diff. If it spins the same direction you have an LSD.

Ok well while on the lift, should the passenger side wheel spin? I didnt have the wheel or axle on the drivers side, just the half shaft in the transmission. Wanted to make sure it didnt leak before i put everything back. When i had it up, only the half shaft was spinning. The passenger side wheel was still the whole time while i was driving it on the lift. Is this normal? Could the passenger side axle be in to far in the transmission causing it to bind? I wouldnt think so but who knows. All i know is the half shaft was spinning while i was accelerating, but not the passenger side. I thought the passenger side is the one that spins.
Old 01-27-2010
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

sounds like an open diff. it doesnt work based on left or right. an open diff spins the wheel with less resistance. In this case the half shaft was easier to spin than the fully assembled side.
Old 01-27-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for your help. I have another problem now though. I will post another thread if you can help me out.