General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

idle surge

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
laack is an unknown quantity at this point
idle surge

title simply states the problem. I previously thought that it was a leak that i had in the exhaust. I fixed that, surge still there. Then thought it had to do with my failing alternator. replaced that this weekend and the surge is still there.

It happens when ever it feels like doing it, its not consistent and triggers no check engine light. the only thing that i can say that is associated with it is electrical load. its most pronounced at night after i drive with my lights, heat and radio on. as i turn my heat and lights off while pulling into a parking spot (coasting in neutral w/ engine idling) the surge will begin immediately after killing the lights and/or heat.

It will occasionally surge when i'm turning on the off ramp and coasting in neutral. I can make it stop by turning the heater on a higher setting and adding the rear defroster (increasing electrical load)

Any ideas?

94 civic dx
manual trans
208xxx

Last edited by laack; 12-22-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-22-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: idle surge

Thats so weird, check your ground wires to start. Especially the ones going to your alternator and your battery, as well as engine and tranny grounds.
Old 12-22-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Thats so weird, check your ground wires to start. Especially the ones going to your alternator and your battery, as well as engine and tranny grounds.

engine/transmission grounds checked... where is the alternator ground?

Last edited by laack; 12-23-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-23-2009
Registered!!

I'm going to clean out the iacv today. is this a waste of time trying to fix the idle issue? its probably well over due anyway so i'm going to clean it regardless, but is there something else i can do first to fix the idle surge.

iacv and throttle body cleaned. they werent as dirty as i expected for 208xxx. Surge is still there though. I also checked the vacuum lines, none appear to be cracked. I want to just replace 1 at a time and drive for a day or to until i either stumble on the one that fixes the problem, or again find nothing. which one should i start with? should i just close my eyes and pull a hose off?

1 detail i forgot to mention: i dont recall it ever happening when the engine is cold.

Last edited by laack; 12-23-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2010
Registered!!

Silver02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

This started happening to me about a month before my CEL came on... It was the O2 sensor. I changed that and the problem went away.
Old 01-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Yea it kinda does sound like an O2 sensor.. if you have a chiltons boot and a volt meter you can check to see if they are good..