General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

2002 Honda Civic - ignition switch hard to turn

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OldCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 2002 Honda Civic - ignition switch hard to turn

The ignition switch on my 2002 Honda Civic is hard to turn from the OFF --> On --> Start position. Shaking the streering wheel does not seem to be a factor. Turning the ignition switch from ON --> OFF after driving the car is normal, no resistance or extra force is required. So far no electrical problems, other than the SRS light came on about a week, not sure if it is related or not. It sounds like the key cylinder is going bad I guess. Has anyone heard of or experienced this?
Old 06-13-2009
Registered!!

cosmicmeltdown is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2002 Honda Civic - ignition switch hard to turn

jiggle, jiggle... thats my suggestion unless it is so bad that you can't ever turn it over. in that case you need to replace the the tumbler (ignition switch). my 99 si has trouble turning over when it is really cold out (less then 32 degrees). i usually have to sit there for a few minutes jiggling the key and turning the steering wheel until it hits the sweet spot. the SRS light i believe has something to do with air bags. does it stay on all the time? if so i would go talk to a honda mechanic. my SRS comes on when the ignition is on for 15 seconds or something like that and then turns off automatically. good luck man!
Old 06-14-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

spray some compressed air, maybe there is some junk inside. then spray silicone lube and try again. usually they just get stuck and need lube.
Old 06-14-2009
Registered!!

OldCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: 2002 Honda Civic - ignition switch hard to turn

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you know if there is any mechanical linkage going from the shifter (console / automatic) to the ignition switch tumbler? I believe its electrical switches to keep the vehicle from starting when not in PARK but I am not sure. If it is electrical then we are back to possible replacing the tumbler.

I agree, the SRS (air bag light) will have to be looked at by the dealer.

I will try the compressed air then apply a small amount of dry graphite powder or spray with a small white lithium grease.
Old 06-14-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah the shifter lockout is electrical. use silicone spray, i have used graphite and pb blast and it just made a mess. and then your key will constantly be covered in gunk when you take it out. silicone spray dries and only the lube stays on the parts. no liquid or powder to get everywhere.