General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

SuperCharger/Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toad is an unknown quantity at this point
SuperCharger/Turbo

Okay, I did some searching on the forum and the general internet and couldn't find my answer...
I saw a car with BOTH a supercharger AND a t3/t4 turbotronics single turbo.
Now, its brought to my attention that it is IMPOSSIBLE to have both a supercharger and a turbocharger in a car.
My question is, can you have both? why or why not?

I'm asking this question because in the future...( I'm guessing in about 7 years after i finish college and have a stable job) ...I want to purchase a 99-01 Honda Prelude. My goal is to create a bad *** 4 cylinder import that can beat a stock v12 viper (or is it v10?) Anyway... 1 choice is a supercharger + NOS + other mods... another was turbo (or twin turbo, yes IT IS possible i've SEEN IT) + NOS + other mods.... now the turbos are the only chance ill have of reaching 500hp BUT if I can some how hook up a supercharger with a t3/t4 turbo and a nice shot of NOS...then i might have a good chance of pulling this off..
ANY COMMENTS WILL BE USEFUL!!!!

-Toad

Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

mikalem is on a distinguished road
I guess technically it COULD be done (good luck doing it though) because the turbo runs off of the exhaust fumes where the supercharger would get it's power straight from the crank of the engine...... good luck getting all of that to fit in one of honda's tiny engine bays though! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

nochopstix is an unknown quantity at this point
have fun blowing your engine
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

SuziQ is an unknown quantity at this point
get the entire engine made of titanium and you'll be
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

black2k1vtec is an unknown quantity at this point
you got a long expensive way to go to get a fat heavy lude into the low 12's.

Buy a 92 hatch, a B18C1 mildly built and a turbo kit, youll be there in less than half the price, plus you will look better too!
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
.......ok toad, there are more cars than you think running a supercharger + turbo set-up....the ideal behind this kind of set-up is that the supercharger kicks in at a very low rpm giving you great low end power and helps spool the turbo a lot faster.....once the turbo reaches desired boost levels the Scharger shuts off and the turbo takes over....it's a complicated system that's obviously all programmed to work that way......nothing will happen to your engine as long as you do the proper internal work and of course, proper fuel management and spark......another, much less expensive way to get simular results is to use NOS to give a low end punch and spool the turbo faster.......no matter what form of forced induction you choose, you will have to prep your engine and engine management systems accordingly........if you want something that can keep up to a viper (v10)....you don't have to get so exotic in your buildup....the secret is really weight, buy the lightest civic you can, a 5th gen cx, which weighs in at around 2000lbs.....drop in the H22a from a 97+ prelude and your already in the 13's.......put the civic on a diet....add a good intercooled turbocharger running around 10-12psi of boost and you will hit 12's....go find a viper....
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

Duckor is an unknown quantity at this point
supercharger would run in place of the turbo lag since turbos are usualy more powerful than SC's.
but i've never seen this setup done before..
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

AFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point
1973: a supercharger can never shut off in favor of a turbo if you are running both. the supercharger is run by a belt connected to the crankshaft, and there is no way to get all those mechanics to simply stop turning. there is a point, once the turbo spools, that both are providing boost, but the super can never shut off.
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

uicmedruss is an unknown quantity at this point
can you say...well beyond my pool of knowledge? hmmmmmmmm... yeah
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

toastyghosty is an unknown quantity at this point
as itterated by quite a few ... it is possible..and there are quite a numerous amount of cars out there running twincharger setups...

if you flip back to one of your old issues of SCC, i think it's one of those meanest street machines issue or something there's some dude in a very DIY'd up mr2...running a both a super/turbocharger although it's so makeshift that even SCC editors were dissing the dude hahah but it worked.

there are of course better examples of professional installs etc that run extremely well however...but i figure you could just look that up in your collection of SCC. =o)

edit
hahha wait a minute just realized your "TOAD" not "TURTLE" hahah okay i have no clue if you read SCC hahah
Old 04-12-2002
HP
Registered!!

HP is an unknown quantity at this point
Well anything is possible I guess you can have a pressure operated clutch on the supercharger so it shuts off when the turbo is spooled up. For example the Rotrex supercharger doesn't restrict airflow when it's not spinning. If it's an advantage of doing this I don't know but technically it IS possible.
Old 04-13-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
what's the point of making a drag car like the ones everybody wants? i'd rather waste my money on a full-blown luxury sedan or a super sports car.
Old 04-13-2002
Registered!!

Mitch is an unknown quantity at this point

<< 1973: a supercharger can never shut off in favor of a turbo if you are running both. the supercharger is run by a belt connected to the crankshaft, and there is no way to get all those mechanics to simply stop turning. there is a point, once the turbo spools, that both are providing boost, but the super can never shut off. >>

Whatever!!! Dude have you ever heard of a electro-magnetic clutch. How do you think an A/C compressor cycles on and off? duh?
Old 03-03-2004
Registered!!

CelCUs is an unknown quantity at this point
***Brings post back from the dead ****

Anyone know where I can get pics of a twincharger set up or info on one? Just curious to see it . . .
Old 03-03-2004
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
your going to college now and 7 years you want to build on what will be a piece of crap?

technology would be cheaper and faster 7 years from now.

MOst 4 cyls will be just as bad *** as a v10 of today.
Old 03-03-2004
Registered!!

CelCUs is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah . . . ummmm . . . he posted that damn near 2 years ago. I was on my350z.com looking up stuff on superchargers and then did a search on this site and that thread came up. I'm just curious to see the twincharger set up.

I wouldn't expect him to respond anytime soon.
Old 03-03-2004
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
i am waiting a few year too