General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Tips & Tricks..for more power

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sledneck is an unknown quantity at this point
Tips & Tricks..for more power

I race a 91 civic hatch 1.5 5 speed at a local circle track on Friday nights.
The car is striped, open exhaust exiting under the passenger door and has a cage. It has to be 100% stock to pass tech..or very hard to detect..lol. But im wondering if there are any tips or trick to make it run better/faster i get a new motor mid season.. so i just want it to run like a wild ape till then. We run 3/4 throttle to wide open 2nd & 3rd gear. Can run like a bag of **** at idle

anything like. Hotter spark plugs, drilling something in the throttle body, hard wiring the fuel pump for more voltage. That kinda low budget stuff or mechanical like advancing cam timing

Last edited by Sledneck; 03-18-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Tips & Tricks..for more power

What would more voltage to the fuel pump do?
Old 03-18-2009
Registered!!

joe6680 will become famous soon enoughjoe6680 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
What would more voltage to the fuel pump do?
Only thing I could rationalize is that would allow it to spin faster and add more fuel to the mix, but would be pointless without the ability to add more air, larger cc injectors, and a slew of other mods. I think he's looking to remain looking stock and if everything is done internally it's fairly hard to detect. I could be way off though.
Old 03-18-2009
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Get out and push.

What does inspection entail? Could you throw a cam in or do they pull the valve cover off to check for that kind of stuff?
Old 03-18-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah an upgrade cam would be very hard to check for, something geared towards higher rpm.
Old 03-18-2009
Registered!!

First tech is a visual inspection. Then top 3 or 5 winning cars go a more in depth tech. Bore & stroke.. check camber A bunch of **** like that.
And the fuel pump thing is just a example of what im looking for.

But i can tell you raising the rev limiter by 200-500 rpm would be great. we tired eBay chips in the computer...but that didn't work.

Ive considered aftermarket cams before. but don't really want to throw down that money for my car.
what about changing the timing on the current cam?

Last edited by Sledneck; 03-18-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2009
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

cam is 300 bucks.
Old 03-18-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you can get a cam gear and tune it for hi rpm driving to squeeze a few extra hp out (retard it a few degrees)
Old 03-19-2009
Registered!!

adjustable cam gears are illegal. but couldn't you jump the belt on the gear one tooth?
Old 03-20-2009
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

Are you allowed to port and polish your head, port match, etc?
Old 03-20-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

blue print it to the max stock specs I got a buddy that did that in a shifter cart and got an extra 20 hp and he has done that with his civic and every autox people come up and ask if he's turbo running crazy cams and high comp pistons but he's stock. He's really **** about it he went to like 20 honda dealers with a gram scale and measured all the rods they had till he found one's that were pushing the lightest and the closest weight together. the man balanced everything down to the gram. that car acts like a damm monster and the scary thing is that it's stock.