General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

civic wont crank... HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
biznizz is an unknown quantity at this point
civic wont crank... HELP!!!!!

hey guys
im having a problem with my 1993 honda civic 4 dr, the starter wont crank, when i turn it to ignition all the car does is click rapidly and when i try to start it doesnt do anything, no cranking at all. I checked the3 battery and its fine has tons of power, any idea whats going on?? by the way when it clicks rapidly i can hear the fuel pump clicking on a nd off as well. please help me my car is a t the side of a road
Old 01-14-2009
Registered!!

Street Kings will become famous soon enoughStreet Kings will become famous soon enough
Re: civic wont crank... HELP!!!!!

That happened to me once. I think u may have left ur Headlights on for a long time without realizing it. Do this: Open the top Battery Caps where the holes are located and fill them in with water. Unplug the battery and use sand paper to clean the terminals and put them back on then give it a try!
Old 01-15-2009
Registered!!

biznizz is an unknown quantity at this point

i metered the battery and its healthy and its only 2 months old. I have never heard my car click the way it was today. any other clues to the problem?
Old 01-15-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

when ur car makes a clicking noise its ur battery. im sure of it. get to an autozone and have then check/recharge ur battery. this even possible even with a 2 month old battery.

it also could be ur starter motor, but usually they dont make any noise at all.

Originally Posted by Street Kings
That happened to me once. I think u may have left ur Headlights on for a long time without realizing it. Do this: Open the top Battery Caps where the holes are located and fill them in with water. Unplug the battery and use sand paper to clean the terminals and put them back on then give it a try!
always wanna use distilled water. keep that in mind
Old 01-15-2009
cim
Registered!!

cim is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you done a load test on the battery? Most of the time, this is an issue with a weak battery.

If you're sure the battery is working, then you want to check out the starter. Have someone operate the key in the ignition switch and listen near the starter while attempting to crank. Do you hear anything? Disconnect the black/white wire from the S terminal on the starter. When the transmission in neutral and the parking brakes on, jumper the S terminal to the positive terminal of the battery. If there's no cranking, then you need to look at fixing or replacing the starter.
Old 01-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Smack the starter with a hammer haha maybe the starter is no good
Old 01-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Smack the starter with a hammer
that just made my morning, too funny. sounds like something I would do to my MG-B hit with the hammer
Old 01-15-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

^^ seriously the hammer trick works. my buddies 240 needed at least 2 people to start it. one with a stick and a hammer to hit the starter, and the other to crank it. sometimes he would call me up and be like dude... i forgot my hammer i need help. so funny. lol
Old 01-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Well if he smacks it with a hammer and it starts.. new starter, if not back to the battery
Old 01-15-2009
Registered!!

aspech is an unknown quantity at this point

try jumping it...?

clicking is 100% the battery.
Old 01-15-2009
Registered!!

Street Kings will become famous soon enoughStreet Kings will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
always wanna use distilled water. keep that in mind
yes u r absolutely correct