General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

True Noob Q: Are All EX's VTEC's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ksteak is an unknown quantity at this point
True Noob Q: Are All EX's VTEC's?

Hey... I have a 97 Civic EX that I just recently got and it's my first Honda. How would I know if my 1.6L engine is a VTEC or not? It does *not* say VTEC on the motor, but the guy at the car parts store said that it has some solenoid that shows it's a VTEC (??)

Do all EX's have the VTEC engine? If not, how can I know if mine is or is not?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2008
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough
Re: True Noob Q: Are All EX's VTEC's?

Check your owners manual
Old 10-15-2008
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough

either look up the engine number stamped on the block or check the back left side of the head for a vtec solenoid
Old 10-15-2008
Registered!!

xanerotti is an unknown quantity at this point

www.procivic.com is the easiest way to find out if you have vtec or not, just enter your car specs in their "garage." I'm 99% sure that all EX models after 96 are built with the vtec feature, because i have a 96 ex sedan with vtec. Also listen to your engine around 4500 RPM, vtec kicks in around there on mine, you can hear your engine push harder.
Old 10-15-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

no one wants to mention the fun way? take it out to the highway, and rev the engine until it reaches that magic mark! :P
Old 10-15-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold

Are all EX civics VTEC yes. Is it a VTEC engine? NO! It means it has a VTEC head. How do you verify that it is a VTEC head? on the left side of the head there is a VTEC sylinoid. Can you use DX/LX parts under the hood of an EX? For modt purposes yes. Everything is the same excpet the exhaust manifold and the location the exhaust bolts to the manifold.

Last edited by ajhdragon; 10-15-2008 at 03:06 PM.