General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Is this a SCAM???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
babyontheway is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is this a SCAM???

Hey boys and girls,

can someone tell me if this is a scam or does it really work?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/PERFORMANCE-CHIP-...QQcmdZViewItem

cheers

Last edited by babyontheway; 05-30-2008 at 08:02 AM. Reason: forgot link
Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

popee will become famous soon enough
Re: Is this a SCAM???

it doesnt work.. dont get fool by something stupid like that its jus a resistor..
go to any local shop that sell resistor and find out for yourself if you really want..

IMO>> thats just stupid whoever actually buys it

Last edited by popee; 05-30-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

you will be quite surprised to find many people actually buy it...
same thing for tornade intake stuff and many others.
Old 05-30-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ebay Auction
ALL OF THE PARTS YOU NEED WILL BE GIVEN FOR THIS INSTALLATION. ALL YOU NEED IS TO BUY SOME ELECTRICAL TAPE TO CLOSE UP THE SENSOR.
Anyone who uses tape in an electrical install clearly doesn't know what they're doing.

SO STOP WASTING YOUR MONEY AND ORDER THIS TODAY!!
Hypocritical.

It is impossible to damage your engine with this mod... In Fact this mod will actually work with your car the way it is designed.
Apparently my car was designed to work with this 10 cent resistor, it just wasn't in the budget during production.

Use premium fuel for best results
This resistor knows nothing about my timing, nor air/fuel ratio required by my engine. And even if I change, my engine's sensors are going to try and modify their behaviour to accommodate the change and will actually work less efficiently because of the change.
Old 05-30-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

All these chips do is fool the ECU into getting a faulty TPS reading. It feels like you're getting more power, because the computer's acting like you're pushing the gas farther than you really are. Which, in our car, makes the A/F ratio tend to richen up. Kiss your mileage goodbye.
Old 05-30-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

all it does is WASTE gas. it tricks the ecu into thinking its 30 degrees outside all the time, so you get a ton of extra fuel dumped in all the time. could also cause carbon deposits in the engine to build up which damages the internals.
Old 05-30-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by DeX
Anyone who uses tape in an electrical install clearly doesn't know what they're doing.

Oh come on... lots of people use electrical tape who do their own electrical projects... I think you mean no products you buy premanufactured come with electrical tape.
Old 05-30-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Oh come on... lots of people use electrical tape who do their own electrical projects... I think you mean no products you buy premanufactured come with electrical tape.
I have to dispute this, any wired joins should be covered with heat shrink, not tape. The glue will eventually come off and the tape will be useless.
Old 05-30-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i have tape on TONS of connections and none has fallen off within the last 5 yrs. but yeah if you get the cheap brand instead of 3M temflex, youre gonna have problems. the 3m stuff is very sticky and as long as you know how to install it, nothing comes undone.
Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

FROSTY90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
i have tape on TONS of connections and none has fallen off within the last 5 yrs. but yeah if you get the cheap brand instead of 3M temflex, youre gonna have problems. the 3m stuff is very sticky and as long as you know how to install it, nothing comes undone.
I AGREE. that and don't use it when it's 10 degrees out either. all my stereo installs i've used wire conecters and covered them with 3m black tape with no problems.
Old 05-30-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Still, though, shrink wrap is much more secure and professional-looking.
Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

babyontheway is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Is this a SCAM???

Ok, i got the picture -i always thought these things were a scam and you guys proved me right. It is impossible for a small resistor to control the ecu like a real mod does.

In any case, i liked the way the converstion diverted, from cheap ebay scams to electrical tape - Ahh the Honda driver's minds....priceless!

Thks a million guys and cheers - God Bless
Old 05-30-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

thread title of the month!
Old 05-30-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

I like his username!
Old 05-30-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

i wanted to see this sooner, so i could say:

'Better pull that finger out..Scratching your brain may damage your thinking. lol

j/k
Old 05-30-2008
Jza
Registered!!

Jza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the rough

You have no idea what you're talking about. CSA or UL certified tape won't just 'fall off'.

Doesn't need to be 3M, although I'm sure that's really good stuff if you're willing to pay the price.