General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Thermal Dynamics...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELTsanwich is an unknown quantity at this point
Thermal Dynamics...

heres my attempt to be informative and cool ok?

i've heard in the past that gasoline engines arnt very eficient at all. there was a article in like honda tuning or some other mag considering this. now the article said that a normal gasoline engine running completly stock will only be able to lay down 10% of its power. most energy lost in the form of heat and friction.

now....

synthetic oils and lubes have helped greatly with the friction part. we cant get around the heat, its where the power loss is. we have ways to keep our engines cool. and intercoolers to make turbos run colder air. colder air...if anybody didnt know... is more compresable and has more bang for the buck then hot air. thats where a cold air intake gets most of its power.

my statistics as far as my knowlege:

for ever 10-13 degree in drop of intake temp results in a 1 hp gain in naturally asspirated engines. turbos have greater gains, depends greatly on the set up.

so my sugestion is refrigrators on our intakes! only by maytag though...we gotta go for reliablity....were driving hondas what else did we buy these for!?
Old 03-30-2002
Registered!!

greg2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've thought about that before to. Having the air pass through some sort of cooling device. I actually a long time ago saw on TV some scientist guy who made an engine primarily out of porcelain. Something about porcelain and heat and porcelain being a poor conductor.
Old 03-31-2002
Tomotor

xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
i'll make my engine all out of paper.. ORIGAMI BABY!
Old 03-31-2002
Registered!!

bhayes82 is an unknown quantity at this point
cut a hole in the firewall and run the AC ductwork to your intake! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

internal combustion engines running on gasoline suck. why is the automotive industry the slowest at adopting (or developing) new technology?
Old 03-31-2002
Registered!!

Narflar is an unknown quantity at this point

<< internal combustion engines running on gasoline suck. why is the automotive industry the slowest at adopting (or developing) new technology? >>

Because the Oil companies would loose money. Don't you know the Oil companies control everything? There have been hundreds of inovations to make more efficiant engiens but every time a patent comes up you only hear about it, you never see it. Why, you ask? Because the Oil companies pay off congress and car manufactures to not produce efficiant products. It's ridiculous
Old 03-31-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Yup.. that and the unavailbilty of alternative fuels at this time... Hydrogen is not cheap to produce it requires ALOT of electricity..so cost wise it's not a great option right now. Propane is a fairly good solution, However price and inneficiency are a factor as well, but pollution wise it's great...More efficient gasoline engines and Hybrid cars.. gees there's none of those on the market..lol.. Honda Insight, and Toyota somethign or other.. also Our civics are very efficient low polution engines.. Things are going in the right direction...Just not fast enough....

Cheers
Mohawk