General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

My valve cover project- stay tuned

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007
My cats breath smells like cat food.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My valve cover project- stay tuned

Well Triz if you do try and use garnet paper I would suggest testing it out on a small spot out of clear view.
I'm sure you thought of that already, just would hate to see you mess it up.
Old 07-12-2007
Registered!!

estebomb_ftw will become famous soon enough

subscribed.
Old 07-12-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Hmmm...

When I wake up, I will have a full day off- swoop by honda for the door cable I managed to break, some places with the VC to see what the people who get paid to work at shops pros are supposed to work at have to say, install, ice cream, valve cover.
Old 07-12-2007
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough

Damn man you've had it rough. Just read the whole thread and that old guy/cormeal **** really grossed me out. I mean damn, wash yo feet. I don't care how old or immobilized you are, wash them or at least have the common decency to guide him to the hose and spray em down....cornmeal will never be the same, burhhhh.

great job on the VC ill have to look around for some of that aircraft paint remover.

and did anyone else notice that in the pic of the stripper it says "aircraft remover" but thats it, not "aircraft paint remover". so im like, does the airplane disappear after you put it on.
Old 07-12-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^^^ I know... Doesnt work on helicopters either. *snap*

Plan for today:
Honda parts
DEQ
Garnet paper or alternative
Door
VC

Last edited by TRIZ; 07-12-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the dilly Triz? Is that thing done yet?
Old 07-14-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

yeah i wanna know 2
Old 07-14-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

maybe he dropped it too??
Old 07-14-2007
Registered!!

foreman400x is an unknown quantity at this point

man that thing looks amazing..sorry bout the shitty day with the guys feet
Old 07-15-2007

Originally Posted by DsevenEm2
maybe he dropped it too??
Again.

BOOOOO!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2007
Premium Member

^^ hahaha

Well heres the deal... I was going to polish it and roll with that for a while. But little did he know aluminum isnt 'stable' with plain air.... and I dont want to pay someone to "Chrome" it.

I dont want to paint it... kuz I mean honestly... thats been done too much lately.

I wanted to anodize it, but still will have the problem between the final polish and when it gets anodized. *sigh*

Soooo... I thought, what if I wrap it in carbon fiber. Blahhh

I dont know. I kinda wanna make it gold now- but I've heard bad things about that paint. So Hmm... what to do.

I picked up some polish to take out the scratches. I dont think its going to work, but the guy swore by it. We'll see. I need to use Vaseline to seal the metal from the air so it doesn’t oxidize before I finish polishing the whole thing. Very frustrating.

Suggestions on something new and kick ***??
Old 07-18-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

spray paint P-Town Oregon on the top and ship it to japan... go on honda tech in the appearance and cosmetics or w.e section and they have a valve cover thread and there stonnnss of different ideas to pull. and suggestions..
Old 07-18-2007

MURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond repute

What about a heat resistant clear coat?
IDK maybee just paint it.
Or ruberrize it they sell that stuff in cans its pretty cool looking in black.
Old 07-18-2007
Premium Member

Rubberize it?

for the orig idea, thats what i'm looking for- people thinking outside of the box... dont get cocky and tell me to flake it the barbie logo.
Old 07-18-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

i like a chromed one! but get some flaky to it?!
Old 07-19-2007

Pink flake with the Barbie logo.

What about engraving?
Old 07-19-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

looks really nice but wouldnt it just get dull again after a while. everything i polish here goes back to being the way it was after a month or so.
Old 07-19-2007
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

stucco it!
Old 07-19-2007
This is Myspace

stucco lmao +1 for u.... hey wat does rubberize mean...is it that obvious and it means just layering ur vc with rubber lol ....i doubt im just saying i duno wat that means..

put a swastika on the top.
Old 07-19-2007
Premium Member

Originally Posted by gearbox
looks really nice but wouldnt it just get dull again after a while. everything i polish here goes back to being the way it was after a month or so.
Culprit - Oxidation (air reacting with the metal)
Remedy - seal it.

This is the problem I have... I'm not sure if I can just clear coat it or what, from the conversations I've had with shop guys that do this kind of stuff, I cant. I dont have a vaccum box or anything I can work on it in, which would be dope, but air is going to get at it no matter what. It will oxidize in the amount of time it takes to polish it going from left to right. Such a pain in the ***. Like I said, the guy suggested covering the polished sections in vasaline while I work on the next, then wash it all off and then hit it with the anodizing crap. Limited choice on colors to anodize it. Red looks kinda funky I think, and would kind of clash with the already red paint job.

any other ideas - Suggestions
Old 07-19-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, I've been telling you all along!

Chrome in a can!
http://alsacorp.com/products/killerc...e_prodinfo.htm
Buy:
http://www.alsacorp.com/Merchant2/me...ode=KC-KCH-Kit

The only set back is the fact that you've stripped it of the paint, so if you do the chrome paint, you would have to shoot
primer,
black,
clear,
chrome.

To get it to look the way that you want.
Old 07-19-2007

Rhino line it.
Old 07-19-2007
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

rhino line is not a bad idea....it would be scuff resistant and mud proof!
Old 08-02-2007
Premium Member

I'm leaning towards getting it chromed at the moment. any ideas how much it would cost??- i've never chromed anything before.
Old 08-02-2007

Originally Posted by TRIZ
I'm leaning towards getting it chromed at the moment. any ideas how much it would cost??- i've never chromed anything before.
Black chrome would look wicked
Old 08-02-2007
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

dude hurry up and finish the damn thing triz. hah
Old 08-12-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'll suggest this one more time....
HERE'S a VIDEO!:
This is what it would look like if you took it in to a pro-paint shop:
http://alsacorp.com/products/mirrach...rome.htm#video

This is with a friggin can!:
http://alsacorp.com/products/killerc...e_prodinfo.htm
video is in middle of page.

Here's the link for the killer chrome kit!
This is what I wanna get.....
http://www.alsacorp.com/Merchant2/me...ode=KC-KCH-Kit

It's 99 bucks for the black, clear, chrome, cloths, cd instructions. Damn I wish I was working on my engine bay right now, because this is the first thing I would get.
Old 08-13-2007
Premium Member

Yeah, so I polished a section, masked it off, polished it again, masked it half off and cleared that section, then removed all the masking. Its not about a week later and it looks like the section that was cleared right after polishing is still shinging, and everything else is dull. Thats one option.

Or I could do the whole can thing. Its cool, but I'm not as jazzed about the whole idea. Hmm.

Now... Being I've seen a number of chrome valve covers lately.. what can I do to make it pop out. I'm thinking more along the lines of a gold plated valve cover. Check it:
Old 08-13-2007
This is Myspace

that looks really nice but really expensive too. somebody suggested black chrome too.
Old 08-13-2007
Registered!!

PitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nice

if my engine bay looked like ^^^ I'd be afraid to start the damn thing...I've seen cooking untensils with more dirt on them then that...

Quick Reply: My valve cover project- stay tuned