General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

valve cover bolt broken in head...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
valve cover bolt broken in head...

Ahh hell.

Title says it all. Did my valve clearance, all went OK, then went to put the cover on. The torque wrench was set at 6 lbs, spec is 7.2. I was on the second pass, when CRACK! one of the bolts breaks off halfway into the head. I'm assuming getting it out is just a matter of drilling the center out a bit, then using an ez-out or something similar?

Right now the gasket is on and sealed with 4 bolts, and I even put some honda-bond sparingly around the area where the busted bolt is supposed to seal. I'm just going to drive it as is, and will just expect a little leakage for a while. Anyone have any suggestions or an easier way to get the stuck portion of the bolt out?
Old 06-06-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: valve cover bolt broken in head...

Yep. Drilling and an extractor are about the only way to do it. It shouldn't be too bad coming out since you didn't grunt 'em down. Although getting the extractor to bite on such a small bolt, plus getting the drill in straight may be an issue. Not to mention the little shavings that may scatter around your head when you do it. Honestly, I would see if you have any leaks first and then if you don't, put it off until you have a reason to pull the head. This way you could use a drill press to make the hole straight and flush the head to ensure you don't have any shavings after you drill it out. Just my .02.
Old 06-06-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

how the hell does that happen? if ur wrench was set at 6 and spec is 7.2??? im putting on a new valve cover next week and i dont want this crap to happen to me!
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light

maybe use a bunch of lock-tite on the end of some sort of bit, let it set then turn it back out? JB weld....something like that. might work
Old 06-06-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

very strange, ive heard of people overtorquing the bolts to stop oil leakage and they didnt snap like that.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

is it a possibility that you were using an inch-pound torque wrench?
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

WilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of light

You do not need to torque the bolts that attach the valve cover onto the head. Just use a regular socket wrench and just get it tight and then do a small 1/4 inch turn if that....
Old 06-06-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

well i know u dont need to torque them because the specs that the manual says they should be at, equal to hand tightening, but not alot. most people wont use a torque wrench cuz the torque is so low that u dont need one. this guy breaking his off is jus giving me another reason not to be picky and to jus do it by hand
Old 06-06-2007

I'll agree with Chris on this one. Do it by hand, and use either a stubby 3/8" or a 1/4" ratchet so you can't use all your mad gorilla strength to cinch them down.

Old 06-06-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

oh.... hang on. You need to be a bit more careful than just drilling that out. The back two bolts go into the head. The front 3 go into the cam caps. None of them are very forgiving. If it snapped off clean, I'd take it to a machine shop and have someone with a skilled hand try and get it out. It may need to be disassembled and burned out with an EDM so you dont screw anything up.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all

the bolt is broken off pretty much flush with the hole opening. I think what may have happpened is that I set the wrench 5lbs too much for that bolt and had it torqued to 13.2 instead of 7.2..

From what I'm hearing, careful would be good in terms of drilling. I think what I'll do is get a very small punch and hit the bolt at an angle to try and back it out a few threads, then sic the vice-grips on it. I know I didn't really gorilla it, and next time I'll not even bother with the t-wrench and do it by feel. Part of the reason it happened I'm sure is me tightening too much just waiting for the wrench to click without thinking "hey... this is tighter than the other bolts..."

if anyone has more suggestions, keep em coming!

thanks all.
Old 06-06-2007

Just be careful not to slip with that punch and gouge the mating surface on the head. Here's a pic of the head with valve cover holes circled. reddawnman, I know you've seen this since you took the VC off in the first place, but for the other folks here, this is what we're dealing with.

Which one snapped?

Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by speedfoos
Just be careful not to slip with that punch and gouge the mating surface on the head. Here's a pic of the head with valve cover holes circled. reddawnman, I know you've seen this since you took the VC off in the first place, but for the other folks here, this is what we're dealing with.

Which one snapped?
Top Right one in the pic, #2 in the tightening sequence.
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

susuking is on a distinguished road

just bring it to a pro and call it a day
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by susuking
just bring it to a pro and call it a day
Where's your sense of adventure, bro

It seems to be running fine, so I'll order the part and get the tiniest punch i can. I talked to 3 dealerships worth of service guys and they all said "ehh, just run it with 4 bolts, and don't drill. use a punch carefully to back it out and you should be fine..."

We shall see what tomorrow brings, eh.