General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

How can I make a civic ex transmission ratio closer???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lewolved is an unknown quantity at this point
How can I make a civic ex transmission ratio closer???

CAn you make a d17a2 stock transmission ratios more closer by maybe putting another hondas transmission parts (For example some 94 Sİ 's put crx 3rd and 4th and those gears become closer making the car achieve 110miles much quicker) or will you have to go and buy a close ratio gear box of some brand...???
I can not seem to find any info of gear box modification of 01-05 civic ex's....
Old 12-19-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
You'd have to find gears that fit the splines on the shafts. It'd be a hell of a lot easier to just get shorter tires.
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
You'd have to find gears that fit the splines on the shafts. It'd be a hell of a lot easier to just get shorter tires.
Well my question is where to find those gears that would fit the splines on the shafts...For example 89 crx's have really close ratios but those wont fit to my ex and I also want to ask that does all d series gears fit eachother I mean that are they exchangable if so which d series gears would be wise to exchange???
Old 12-19-2006
Diamond Member

Boggie1688 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think anyone on here has done this before. Your going to need to get on online search up some companies and start making your own phone calls. This is what happens when you do something no one else has done yet. Reserach yourself...call around...
Old 12-19-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lewolved
Well my question is where to find those gears that would fit the splines on the shafts...For example 89 crx's have really close ratios but those wont fit to my ex and I also want to ask that does all d series gears fit eachother I mean that are they exchangable if so which d series gears would be wise to exchange???
First of all, you're after 2 contradicting goals. You want to go fast, and you want to do it with close ratio gears.
Close ratio gears for acceleration purposes will make the car accelerate faster, at the expense of top end speed. The gearing in the car isnt all that bad to being with, a shorter 3rd would help, but then it would make 4th feel exceedingly long, and its a 5 speed, not a 6, which has 2-3-4 close together, you don't have the extra gear. You'll also be shifting gears constantly, which, if you ask anyone who drag races, wastes time. Your bigger problem is youre going to run out of motor anyways. The car's limit is not the gears, its the horsepower, the drag stops the car before you top out 4th.
So its really pointless to bother with it, because the car doesnt have enough power to do more than 115 or so, with shorter gears, you'll just run out of power quicker.
If you want to go faster, the easier way to do it is the obvious one.... ADD POWER.

You're wasting your time, but you're going to have to just get every gear you can think of and try it. With the transmission being cable actuated rather than rod, all the forks are different along with the rest of the guts, its likely that you wont be able to swap old parts, only the 7th gen tranny gears are going to fit.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 12-19-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2006
Diamond Member

Boggie1688 is an unknown quantity at this point
Crushed!
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

AequitasVeritas is an unknown quantity at this point
wow....totally shot my idea to hell.

i freaking hate 3rd in my 04. its like 1-2 is great, nice tourque.
then 3rd blows.

oh well, thats why i have NOS, just for that damn 3rd gear
Old 12-19-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
First of all, you're after 2 contradicting goals. You want to go fast, and you want to do it with close ratio gears.
Close ratio gears for acceleration purposes will make the car accelerate faster, at the expense of top end speed. The gearing in the car isnt all that bad to being with, a shorter 3rd would help, but then it would make 4th feel exceedingly long, and its a 5 speed, not a 6, which has 2-3-4 close together, you don't have the extra gear. You'll also be shifting gears constantly, which, if you ask anyone who drag races, wastes time. Your bigger problem is youre going to run out of motor anyways. The car's limit is not the gears, its the horsepower, the drag stops the car before you top out 4th.
So its really pointless to bother with it, because the car doesnt have enough power to do more than 115 or so, with shorter gears, you'll just run out of power quicker.
If you want to go faster, the easier way to do it is the obvious one.... ADD POWER.

You're wasting your time, but you're going to have to just get every gear you can think of and try it. With the transmission being cable actuated rather than rod, all the forks are different along with the rest of the guts, its likely that you wont be able to swap old parts, only the 7th gen tranny gears are going to fit.

makes sense to me. i'd give up now. good info, too.
Old 12-20-2006
Registered!!

Well really thanx for the info you have given but I really dont care about top speed end I just want to push the cars limit NA in 0-400m thats why I need close ratios and dont think that I will find one....Thanx anyways for helping me out Any more comments on this maybe someone else have diffrent ideas...?

Last edited by lewolved; 12-20-2006 at 04:02 AM.
Old 12-20-2006
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Go custom. Or do a motor swap to whatever engine you want (but it'll be crazy madd bucks). Cheaply, if you wanna get going quicker- think turbo, k20, nitrous, or swapping out engine internals if you wanna stay with the D17- people have gotten more HP out of then you'd think- 350hp was the latest.
Old 12-20-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Go custom. Or do a motor swap to whatever engine you want (but it'll be crazy madd bucks). Cheaply, if you wanna get going quicker- think turbo, k20, nitrous, or swapping out engine internals if you wanna stay with the D17- people have gotten more HP out of then you'd think- 350hp was the latest.
Well those are options but I still want to see how fast can a d17a2 engine can go 0-400 naturally asprated and if so I will need a closer ratio and about the custom gear boxes can you recommend some brands...
Old 12-20-2006
Registered!!

lindermant will become famous soon enoughlindermant will become famous soon enough
Not sure where you're located, but here's a link to a shop in Northern VA. Their web page has changed recently, but I recall looking at it early this summer and they mentioned they can rebuild your tranny with any gear ratio you want... can't hurt to contact them and see what they have to say about your idea:

http://www.inlinepro.com/services/transmission.html
Old 12-20-2006
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
Well, you can shorten final drive ratio, that will make car accelerate faster. Custom drive can be made to custom order. You'll need to look into that first.
Old 12-20-2006
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by lindermant
Not sure where you're located, but here's a link to a shop in Northern VA. Their web page has changed recently, but I recall looking at it early this summer and they mentioned they can rebuild your tranny with any gear ratio you want... can't hurt to contact them and see what they have to say about your idea:

http://www.inlinepro.com/services/transmission.html

ROFL! that place is a joke. havent heard anything good come from them. friend got his MT replaced and installed there and they still ****ed it up. only place i recommend gettin any aftermarket done, that i know of, is at b and t motorsports(bandtmotorsports.com).