General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

resonator box

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gsniper666 has a spectacular aura aboutgsniper666 has a spectacular aura aboutgsniper666 has a spectacular aura about
resonator box

what does it do.... what happens if its been taken off?
Old 12-09-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
This has been answered a number of times. The engine will be louder, and you may gain about .01 HP. As long as the air filter is still there, don't worry about it. Or, get an intake.
Old 12-09-2006
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
if you take it off... it will give you more room in the engine bay... maybe make a lil more noise... thats about it though...

as for what it does... it basicly just forces the air to "flow/vibrate/something" a certain way before it hits the engine for maximum whatever... ... ... some guy in a lab at honda made a bunch of money off of this idea..... .....

im not saying it is a worthless plastic box... for daily driving a stock intake is the best intake... and thats what its made for...
other intakes dont use a resonator and cars dont blow up... so... yeah.....
Old 12-10-2006
Registered!!

gsniper666 has a spectacular aura aboutgsniper666 has a spectacular aura aboutgsniper666 has a spectacular aura about
anyone actually know what it does???
Old 12-11-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Occupies way too much space in the engine bay???
Old 12-11-2006
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gsniper666
anyone actually know what it does???
It doesn't really DO anything. Like a water pipe, what does it do? It just sits there and lets water flow thru it. Same idea as the resonator. It just sits there and the air flows thru it. It is intended to provide a constant supply of air to the engine (which is why most intakes lose low end power). It has baffles that help reduce engine noise and direct the flow of the air to the filter box. If you remove the resonator it won't change much. Just please make sure you keep your filter in place and clean if you do this.
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

ES2Slow4Me is an unknown quantity at this point
I took mine off just to take measurements for running my own CAI. I like all the extra room. The sound is questionable. It's deeper, but it doesn't sound good to me. I Left it off just because I'm not a fan of useless chunks of plastic taking up room in my engine bay. The damn resonator is as big as the motor

I noticed a bit of a loss in my low end performance. All it's done was make people think I'm quicker than stock. You gain about as much from "unrestricting" the air as you do from removing the weight of the thing. I've got no problem with people that do it, as long as it's understood that there is nothing to be gained except easier access to your engine bay.

The resonator actually quieted some other annoying sounds that I am working to identify, because it was big, thick, and heavy sitting on top, muffling the overall engine noise. Do it, but for the right reason. There's nothing cool about having an odd-pitched deep tone.

Hopefully I can get my CAI put together relatively quick and easy. I'll post up a DIY with pics (if we don't have one already), for those interested. But yeah...i'm neutral on the issue. Do it if you want, but how does it benefit you?
Old 12-17-2006
Technical Assistant

ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute
I liked the sound between 2-5k. after that you dont really hear much of a difference. it doesnt make noise unless you get on the throttle about 1/3 of the way. I got tired of the sound because it didnt sound very good. Getting an intake soon. My friend has an ebay intake on his 96 accord V6 and it makes the car sound like the G35 its really something.