General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

DIY: Push Button Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
DIY: Push Button Ignition

This is a re-post since the link to the original died for some reason.

<< Here goes. The setup I use is like this.... I have toggle switches for my igntion wires and a push button for the starter....

Here is the DIY for it...

You have 4 wires that you are going to deal with....

This is what you will need....
(4) Toggle Switches SPST (Single Pole Single Throw)
(1) Push Button --- this will be used to roll over the starter.
(4) 50 Amp Bosh Relay's ---- these are so that you do not burn up your switches...
(1) DEI Part Number 555u ---- this is to bypass the RS4 immoblizer system.

--==DIY Push Button Ignition==--

First, you need to remove the shroud around the steering wheel.. This is done by removing the (3) screws on the bottom side of the shroud. Then it will pull apart into (2) pieces.

Next you have 2 options...
1. Run a 4-8 gauge wire from the (+) side of you batter into the car. . I did this one since I did not want to cut any wires.
2. Cut the white wire (this is about a 10-12 gage wire)

Take one of the 2 options and run it to where everyou you are gonna put your switches.

***Note*** ***1***
You do not need to bypass if you are not planning on remote start or if you do not plan on removing the steering wheel lock, because if you do not remove the steering wheel lock then you will have to leave you key in the ignition, and disconnect the ignition harness from the ignition switch.

DEI Immoblizer bypass wiring ---- Connect the antenna ring around the ignition switch cylinder
Connect the red wire to the constant 12v.
Connect the blue wire to a switch and the other end of the switch should goto the ground.

Now you need to connect all of the (#87 on the relays) to your constant 12 volts.
Next you need to connect all of the (#85 on the relays) to a good ground.
Now #86 (on the relays) needs to goto a seperate switch including the push button switch.
#30 (on the relays) needs to goto the following wires.

****NOTE ALL OF THE IGNITION WIRES are BIGGER than the rest of the wires on the Steering Colum. You can identify them by this-- they are right under the igntion switch....

Use Scotch Connectors to tap into these wires. Do not cut them, this way you can use your key too...

Relay (1) (Ignition 1) This will be the black with a yellow stripe wire.
Relay (2) (Accessory 1) This will be the black with red stripe wire.
Relay (3) (Accessory 2) This will be the white with red stripe wire.
Relay (4) (Starter) This will be the black with a white stripe wire.

Connect the oppisite ends of the switches to your constant 12 volts.

These need to be turned on in this order for you car to run correctly

Toggle Switch (1) ----------&gt;DEI Immoblizer Bypass ***1*** (you may or may not use this depending on your situation)
Toggle Switch (2) ----------&gt;Relay (1)
Toggle Switch (3) -----------&gt;Relay (2)
Toggle Switch (4) -----------&gt;Relay (3)
Push Button Switch (1) ----&gt; Relay (4) (you can use this by itself if you only want to push a button to start the car but do not want the switches)
>>

Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

CivicVTec is an unknown quantity at this point
thx man...did u take some pics?
Old 03-19-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I'll mention again that this is not my DIY. This is a re-post because the link to the original thread died for some reason? I would have liked pics as well. Oh well. Maybe I should DIY this in the future and post some pics?
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

VTECnique is an unknown quantity at this point
this was a big help...but i have 1 more question:

my switch is 2 prong;

I have 1 relay with an 85, 86, 30, 87, and an 87a connector(s);

it also came with thick wires (red, yellow, white, black) and 2 thinner black wires (one to the switch, one to the relay);

i got a basic of where everything goes, but some colors u have are different to what i have. It wouldn't be a prob if the instructions weren't in JAPANESE! So once again, i ask the wiring gurus for assistance.
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

locozoko is an unknown quantity at this point
u have the "euro type-r" S2000 Button Switch right? ya i got it too and since i dont read Japanese ill just pay someone to do the installation for me. i think the 60 or $70 is well worth it rather than me f*cking up my car. hehehe. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-20-2002
LJ
Fernando The Donkey Lover

LJ is an unknown quantity at this point
now, how do u do it so that you still have to do the key, i didn't quiete understand that part
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

locozoko is an unknown quantity at this point
well you still need the key.. depends how u wire it up, you can bypass it so you do the following (with what i have):
1. put the key in and turn it to the first position (on), and you can ONLY start the engine by pressing in the start button
OR
2. put the key in and put it on ON position, and either press the start button or turn the key all the way (crank it) like normal to start

im sure there are various different methods you can do with it, but im not an expert on it hehe. hope this helped
Old 04-27-2002
Registered!!

crazybluehonda is an unknown quantity at this point
but is there a way not to use key? im going to mold but colum completly shut. i have already ditched the steering wheel lock . but is there a way to have button instead of key. or will the stock alarm work? im guessing not becasue no key right. well let me know
Old 05-23-2002
Registered!!

KazzuM is an unknown quantity at this point
you know where our trunk release is where that little keyhole is for the valet thing, well is there a way to put the ignition there so that the key has to be in then push button where the emergency light switch is. i really want this to be done to my car but i dont want to spend thousand of dollars to do it.

thanks
Old 05-23-2002
Registered!!

you know where our trunk release is where that little keyhole is for the valet thing, well is there a way to put the ignition there so that the key has to be in then push button where the emergency light switch is. i really want this to be done to my car but i dont want to spend thousand of dollars to do it.

huh?
Old 05-23-2002
Registered!!

armageddon is an unknown quantity at this point
Grey, you da man.[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-23-2002
The Fallen Angel . . .

Vizyun is an unknown quantity at this point

<< you know where our trunk release is where that little keyhole is for the valet thing, well is there a way to put the ignition there so that the key has to be in then push button where the emergency light switch is. i really want this to be done to my car but i dont want to spend thousand of dollars to do it.

huh?
>>

He's referring to the spot on the floor to the left of the driver's seat where the trunk and gas-cap release are. There is a key-hole there that disables the trunk release (that way, if you give someone the valet key, they can't get into your trunk). He said there is a way to have the ignition lock from the steering column relocated there so that you can put the key in, push the start button and be on your way. Sounds like a good idea, actually.
Old 05-24-2002
Registered!!

OOOOOOHHHHHH... i see now...
Old 08-21-2002
2k1
Registered!!

2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
does this work for the 5 prongs...it's a actual S-2000 button
Old 09-06-2002
Registered!!

Deejai35 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know its been a while since this post originated, but I have a question. Do you need a relay for the starter button itself? I know that many of the DIY that I have seen use it, but I ran across one that was done in a civic and they didn't use it. Will the current burn out the starter button if I splice into the power outlet for a power source?
Old 01-28-2003
Registered!!

kustum2k1LX is an unknown quantity at this point
i believe he is trying to say, he wants his "key ignition" in the floor board where the Valet lock is. Swap out that lock for the ignition there. and put the push button start in the position of the hazzard light button.

but where do you put the hazzard button, and why dont you put the push button where the key start used to be, when someone walks up to your car and goes to steal it, when it is wired up for no key needed, then you just got your car stolen, then what will the insurance say. anyways i think thats what he was talking about.
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
you can fire all your accessories at once, you dont need all those extra switches, what is yrou civic a jetplane? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

as to the key, DEI 555U is the part name. now its not only remote start, but you can hook it up to your alarm!

so this is technically DIY pushbutton start, but its also the first half of DIY remote start, which has cost me $15 in parts so far, and all I am missing is the 555U [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-19-2003
Registered!!

ben_spawn is an unknown quantity at this point
I kinda saw different types of setup for the push button start ignition. Well I like this one coz of the multiple flip switches that sorta makes it look like an airplane hehe =)

But anyways, I just wanted to check if the wire colors are correct though. Most of the other setups that I've seen states that the red/black wire is the starter wire.

well i read up about how relays work and stuffs, and I kinda figured out the circuit. Basically I was thinking of using this method where I insert the key into the keyswitch and leave it on ignition. I tap into the accessory 1, accessory 2 and starter wires and hook up toggle switches and relays and push button start what nots to it. I'm guessing this way, I'm still having my alarm features activated and the key as an added security of not having someone jack my car and just start it with a push button =)
Old 04-20-2003
Registered!!

ben_spawn is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm i've been doing this research for hours now. I kinda saw something wrong here. if one end of the switch is going to relay...u dint mention where the other end of the switch is going to.

I looked at the circuit and read up on a couple of other different configurations. #85 and #86 are coils, in order for the circuit to run, a current has to flow from #30 and #87, and it will only exist when #85 and #86 is connected to a power source. #85 is grounded but #86 is only connected to a switch.
Hope anyone who's going to work on this take note of this.

Another thing I'm curious about and yet to figure out is whether there would be a cut off to some of the car's electrical circuit when you start the car in this push button setup. On the note that a car would have a temporary disabled function of the radio and some electrical circuits to reduce power load during the process of cranking up the engine.

If anyone has any insights, please fill me in. Thank you.
Old 06-23-2003
Registered!!

trashguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Really 50 amp realys, isnt that a lot?
Old 06-23-2003
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Ya know, I did mine without a relay...I hope my car doesn't explode...
Old 06-23-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
sorry, but i think that push-button ignitions are gay
Old 06-23-2003
Registered!!

Race cars have push buttons and toggles....

Telly do you have any pics... Im interested in doing this... i would assume a 10 AMP relay would be fine... Id hate to see 50 Amps of power even make it to the relay with a 10 Guage wire lol.
Old 06-24-2003
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
I only have a pic of the finished product:

The button assembly comes with kinda sparse instructions. Essentially you have to just tap one wire into power (when key is in on position) and one into the ignition wire. Nice and simple, just takes ***** to cut into those wires. All I did was strip the plastic wire cover, didn't have to actually cut wire. Again didn't use relays.
Old 06-25-2003
Registered!!

Thats sick I think im goign to have to make a Jet Plane kit haha with cool power togles too
Old 06-25-2003
b y r o n : t i b u r o n

b y r o n is an unknown quantity at this point
that's is dope!! i wanna try this
Old 06-29-2003
Registered!!

texasric3r is an unknown quantity at this point
I just finished doing this and doing the fuel cutoff switch. I changed a few things on this one like using only 3 relays and everything is working fine. I also combined the accessories to all come on with one switch.
Old 07-18-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boosted is an unknown quantity at this point
Just to let everyone know, this is my DIY..... I spent about 4 hours on this, I am sorry that I did not take any pics!!!! If you like, I could post pics of the finshed product.

TKS
Brad
Old 10-21-2003
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, so I was reading about the push button ignition. It said I can put it in my cigarete lguhter place. So.. on my 2002 ex the cig lighter has i little cover over it. Now how sweet would that be if I could put the cover on and off to turn it on. LOL it would be like a rocket. *flip open, push button!*
Old 03-13-2004
Registered!!

2k4si is an unknown quantity at this point
what about those ones that you can buy do you think it is worth it to get one of those and theyll probably tell you everything to do wouldnt they?

Quick Reply: DIY: Push Button Ignition