General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

push button start w/ key

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
raoh is an unknown quantity at this point
push button start w/ key

i've seen postings about people wanting a push button start w/o a key,
but how hard would it be to install a push button start w/ the key similar to the s2000???

i know it'd be pretty pointless, but i think it could be a cool DIY. I just don't know what is need to start the car.
Old 03-18-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Great! The push button DIY is gone! It used to be here: Push Button Start If I find it on my hard drive I'll post it again.
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

KevinFWB is an unknown quantity at this point
Push button can be accomplished without the key as well. Although you will need a DEI Part #555U to bypass the immobilzer ($25) and you will have to give up a spare key just like a remote start alarm. I used my valet key. If you are interested in how to do this then reply to this thread. I don't particularly want to type it out for now apparent reason. I just involves the 555U a spare key and some relays. Total cost about $40 or less.
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

slikor is an unknown quantity at this point
why not just tap into the line from the key-socket that powers the starter motor and tie that to the button. so you would put the key in the 'on' position and pushing the button would do what turning the key to 'start' does normally. thats how i'd do it if i put a push starter in.
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

That is completely true. But on the other hand, why put the key in and turn it to the "ON" position and not just turn it the extra little space to start it? Just so you can push a button to start it? "IF" I were to install a push button start I would have the push button do the whole procedure. Start and run without the key in the ignition. I can be done and its fairly simple. You just need the 555U to bypass the immobilizer and a few relays to keep the car running. It can be done with just a button alone!!
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

slikor is an unknown quantity at this point
i hear ya...and it obviously depends on your personal opinion, but i would only have a push-button starter for the fun of pushing it to make the engine start hehe
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
how are you going to keep the car running with only a push spst mometary push button?

You have two ignition leads, one accessory lead, and a starter lead. In addition to adding to the complexity and voiding your warranty, you are bypassing a really cool security feature on your car. Without your correct key, the car cannot be started. This alone protects your car from falling into the wrong hands. I realize it won't protect your valuables. But all I gotta do now is break your window, hop in your car and push one button to drive away...
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

As I noted in my previous thread, I said you would have to give up a spare key and use DEI Part #555U in order to (temoprarily) bypass the ignition imobilizer. I does not , it merely uses a spare key (usually the valet key) and duplicates the signal only when necessary. No different than installing a rembypass it altogetherote start alarm. As far as your question to how do you make it work with only 1 button when you have a starter and 2 accessory wires. 1 is ignition (heater and A/C) and 2. Is Accessory (Radio/Etc..). Most people would only do the heater/AC however both can be done. You use a series of relays. You use a single relay wired normally for the actual starter and you use a latching relay for the ignition wires that are reset by the brake for an automatic transmission and the clutch for a manual transmission. You can't put it in gear on an automatic without pressing the brake nor can you put it in gear on a manual without pushing in the clutch. So if you step on the brake/clutch your engine shuts off and all relays reset. The 555U looks just like an alarm brain or a window module brain. Its a little black box with a wiring harness. You actually have to take it apart on mount the spare key inside of it. You hide it somewhere in your dash, under the console, behind the glove compartment etc... Nobody knows its there and most people won't know what it is even if they do happen to find it. Then you still have to deal with the locked steering column and even if they do brake into your car, how are they gonna know what that button does or even where it is. So lets say, someone does brake into your car and happens to push that switch and the car starts. Now what, they can't unlock the steering column and they can't put it in gear...on the automatic it won't physically go into gear without a key in the igniton. As soon as you hit the brake or push in the clutch the button is disable until reset by the key. Could it possible be stolen, sure, but just a easily if they were to hotwire it. I can draw it out if you really want to see how it works, unless you were just wanting and explantion or to disagree. And if you just want to put the key in the ignition and turn it to "ON" and then push a button, yah that will work too, but whats the point if you have to turn the key 2 clicks anyway.. why not just the 3rd click. Cheers.. Kevin
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

And just for clarification, I do not have a push button start in my car. I have a Viper 550ESP with remote start. Not do I have a desire to put push button in my car. Some people were asking how it could be done, so I was telling them. I'm not going to mention where I have my Valet key hidden and even if you traced the wires back it would take you an hour or so to get to it. I have it hidden quite well!!!
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

thanks for the info guys.
you'll have to let me know when you get that push button diy up again.

until then, does anybody know what the rating of the button needs to be?
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

It really doesn't matter. Any button that you want to use.. just use a relay!!!
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
Thanks Kevin,

I was not inquiring how to do the transponder bypass for a remote start. I am pretty familiar with that. I was questioning the reasoning of simply not using the key anymore as some in the thread had susggested.

I guess this whole thread has mutated into two separate thoughts. One, to have a push button starter like in the S2000 and two, the ability to have a remote start system with a transponder protected car.

I can appreciate having a starting system like the S2000. You can hide the switch, move it to the left of the steering wheel, etc.

As for removing the key altogether or rendering it useless, I wonder about why this would be a good idea. You loose a safety/theft feature and if done improperly you could really mess up your car.

But if your civic was an automatic, I can really appreciate the remote start feature. I have that on my truck and it is really nice on a cold morning or hot afternoon.
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

Hehe.. I think that it was me that asked why would you not just use the key. Anyway, using the #555U trasponder bypass in no way messes with your factory bypass. It just has a wire loom that goes around your ignition cylinder that duplicates the signal. It works just as it normally does when the transponder bypass is not activated. I have remote start in my 2k2 Civic and was worried about messing with the factory immobilizer. Once I got the DEI 555U I was relieved to see how it works. Using the switch doesn't make sense to me, but it seems to be a common topic so I was just shedding some light on how it could be done. I installed remote start into my manual Civic using magnetic switches around the shift gate to prevent it from starting in gear. I also wired safety switches to the clutch, brake, and hand brake... if the hand brake is not up.. no start. If you touch the brake/clutch it shuts off as well. It can be, but I wouldn't recommened to an unexperienced installer.
Old 03-18-2002
DIY King

Here it is as promised:

Here goes. The setup I use is like this.... I have toggle switches for my igntion wires and a push button for the starter....

Here is the DIY for it...

You have 4 wires that you are going to deal with....

This is what you will need....
(4) Toggle Switches SPST (Single Pole Single Throw)
(1) Push Button --- this will be used to roll over the starter.
(4) 50 Amp Bosh Relay's ---- these are so that you do not burn up your switches...
(1) DEI Part Number 555u ---- this is to bypass the RS4 immoblizer system.

--==DIY Push Button Ignition==--

First, you need to remove the shroud around the steering wheel.. This is done by removing the (3) screws on the bottom side of the shroud. Then it will pull apart into (2) pieces.

Next you have 2 options...
1. Run a 4-8 gauge wire from the (+) side of you batter into the car. . I did this one since I did not want to cut any wires.
2. Cut the white wire (this is about a 10-12 gage wire)

Take one of the 2 options and run it to where everyou you are gonna put your switches.

***Note*** ***1***
You do not need to bypass if you are not planning on remote start or if you do not plan on removing the steering wheel lock, because if you do not remove the steering wheel lock then you will have to leave you key in the ignition, and disconnect the ignition harness from the ignition switch.

DEI Immoblizer bypass wiring ---- Connect the antenna ring around the ignition switch cylinder
Connect the red wire to the constant 12v.
Connect the blue wire to a switch and the other end of the switch should goto the ground.

Now you need to connect all of the (#87 on the relays) to your constant 12 volts.
Next you need to connect all of the (#85 on the relays) to a good ground.
Now #86 (on the relays) needs to goto a seperate switch including the push button switch.
#30 (on the relays) needs to goto the following wires.

****NOTE ALL OF THE IGNITION WIRES are BIGGER than the rest of the wires on the Steering Colum. You can identify them by this-- they are right under the igntion switch....

Use Scotch Connectors to tap into these wires. Do not cut them, this way you can use your key too...

Relay (1) (Ignition 1) This will be the black with a yellow stripe wire.
Relay (2) (Accessory 1) This will be the black with red stripe wire.
Relay (3) (Accessory 2) This will be the white with red stripe wire.
Relay (4) (Starter) This will be the black with a white stripe wire.

Connect the oppisite ends of the switches to your constant 12 volts.

These need to be turned on in this order for you car to run correctly

Toggle Switch (1) ---------->DEI Immoblizer Bypass ***1*** (you may or may not use this depending on your situation)
Toggle Switch (2) ---------->Relay (1)
Toggle Switch (3) ----------->Relay (2)
Toggle Switch (4) ----------->Relay (3)
Push Button Switch (1) ----> Relay (4) (you can use this by itself if you only want to push a button to start the car but do not want the switches)
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

Hey Grey, you use 4 seperate toggle switches? Did you do this by choice or lack of another method? You can do it with only 1 toggle switch or none, depending how much time you want to put into it.
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

Thanks guys, I'll get started on that right away.
Old 03-18-2002
DIY King

<< Hey Grey, you use 4 seperate toggle switches? Did you do this by choice or lack of another method? You can do it with only 1 toggle switch or none, depending how much time you want to put into it. >>

Oh sorry, forgot to mention that this is not my DIY. This was posted by someone else long ago and I just happened to save it. I don't know anything about this mod.