General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Why is the OEM clutch not stiff??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Why is the OEM clutch not stiff??

Here's what I was wondering. I have an 04 civic, and I'm pretty sure all 7thgens are the same. I was wondering why isn't the clutch stiff like other cars??? (I mean I do like it because it never really gets your foot hurting, because its easy to push in and release).

I ask this, because I drove my bro's 1995 Corolla for the first time today. I found the clutch to be stiff when compared to our 7thgens. What makes a clutch stiff versus a loose one??

I've also driven my bro's 2001 Integra and its stiff as well.
Old 10-05-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EM2 Shinobi is an unknown quantity at this point
you have a few things to consider,
1 our clutch is hydrallicly actuated, some older cars are not this way,

my 94 nissan sentra (RIP) was acutated by cable and it was hard as F**k to push in, and my cable even broke once (sucked alot) but it broke only a few blocks from my house.

stock clutches are usually designed to be fairly soft and easy to push in for the consumer, when you upgrade to a aftermarket clutch, a clutch that has more clamp load the peddle effort it takes to push it in will increase.

and then there is the worn out clutch like mine, its nice and stiff because it toasted, it no longer engages smoothly, its pretty much like a drop similar to a twin plate clutch.

then there can be problems with clutch master cylinder that can change the feel of the clutch, my buddy's 02 rsx s had a weird problem with the clutch master cylinder wich made it reall choppy when u pushed it in, it felt like it was about to break. replaced that, problem solved.

hope this helps a bit
Old 10-05-2006
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
try pushing on BMW clutches.....that's a work out...compared to ours.
Old 10-05-2006
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
^^ lol very true even their powersteering is insane, you need to be arnold to turn the steering wheel. j/k.
Old 10-05-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Pressure plate spring rate.
No need for tons of pressure with no power. Makes it easy to sit in traffic with.
Old 10-07-2006

Originally Posted by Devani
try pushing on BMW clutches.....that's a work out...compared to ours.
I've pushed the clutch on a BMW before.
Old 10-07-2006

Originally Posted by EM2 Shinobi
you have a few things to consider,
1 our clutch is hydrallicly actuated, some older cars are not this way,

my 94 nissan sentra (RIP) was acutated by cable and it was hard as F**k to push in, and my cable even broke once (sucked alot) but it broke only a few blocks from my house.

stock clutches are usually designed to be fairly soft and easy to push in for the consumer, when you upgrade to a aftermarket clutch, a clutch that has more clamp load the peddle effort it takes to push it in will increase.

and then there is the worn out clutch like mine, its nice and stiff because it toasted, it no longer engages smoothly, its pretty much like a drop similar to a twin plate clutch.

then there can be problems with clutch master cylinder that can change the feel of the clutch, my buddy's 02 rsx s had a weird problem with the clutch master cylinder wich made it reall choppy when u pushed it in, it felt like it was about to break. replaced that, problem solved.

hope this helps a bit
thanks.

So your saying when your clutch is wearing out, the pedal gets harder to push in??? This is my first car with a manual tranny, so I don't know.
Old 10-07-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Originally Posted by phuviano
I've pushed the clutch on a BMW before.
that sounds a little wrong... haha
Old 10-07-2006
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
this is a civic we are talkin about and im sure honda was kinda thinking of the old people that drive these cars. considering its not anything sporty thats one of the reason right there. i sure as hell wouldnt worry bout the stiffness of the clutch when that can b easily fixed with a stage 2 clutch.
Old 10-07-2006

Originally Posted by crazyasian
this is a civic we are talkin about and im sure honda was kinda thinking of the old people that drive these cars. considering its not anything sporty thats one of the reason right there. i sure as hell wouldnt worry bout the stiffness of the clutch when that can b easily fixed with a stage 2 clutch.
I'm not worried about the stiffness of the clutch. I was just wondering why its hard on some cars, and why its softer on others. I already got my answer already though.