General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Clearing Lights, Cut Black Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cro2k2civicla is an unknown quantity at this point
Clearing Lights, Cut Black Seal?

I know this is a dead topic on here but I have an idea on clearing my headlights. I am considering if its possible to fit an exacto knife between the two peices I could just cut the peices apart then after completeing the clearing put them back together and heat them to reform the black goo. This would be MUCH cleaner since no messy goo would get on the inside of the lights. After this would be finished I could put a bead of silicone on the outside of the light to completely seal them.... Is this possible? Suggestions?

Im Planning on clearing sat..... Thanks
Old 03-12-2002
BOOST JUNKY

SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sure that it's possible. But what you might need to wprry about is whether or not the BLACK GOO is going to reseal properly or completely for that matter. I suppose you could put clear silicone on the outside of the light but that wont look very nice.

The way I did it, was after we opened up the light and cleared it out...i tried to remove as much of the black stuff as possible and sealed the lights with the clear silicone in the place of the Black goo. You really can't tell the light was messed with in my situation. WIth your idea...it might look emssier than you think. SOmetimes, doing things the seemingly easier way..it turns out to be the messier and uglier way.
Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

Xudus is an unknown quantity at this point
I just slowly pulled mine apart, didn't use a heat gun or nothing. than when I was done just put them back togethor. didnt usanything to reseal it. the black goo resealed itself. I did it over 4months ago and havnt had any problems. It really isnt a big deal. the only pain in the *** is not getting the black goo anywhere and not getting fingerprints on it.
Old 03-12-2002
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I tried to cut it and it doesn't work. the goo is too sticky and the knife will just get all gunky.
Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're clearing headlights on a sedan, you might consider putting the headlight in the oven for 250 degrees for 7 minutes as the headlight on a sedan are a LOT harder to pry open. You can do it with a coupe's headlamp, too.

I don't really see the point of cutting it... it's not a rubbery substance, it's more like tar and it can get VERY messy despite how dry it can become. (It becomes gummy at this point and if it's not heated, this is what you'll be dealing with - GUM.) You don't necessarily need to remove it after opening the headlight. Just make sure it doesn't get on the chrome insert. If it does, use WD-40 to get it off, and enjoy clearing your headlights. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] Be VERY generous putting the new silicone back on.
Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

Intruder is an unknown quantity at this point
I cut mine with an exacto knife as I worked around the edge, didn't heat it or anything, just worked it out slowly. I didn't reseal with anything as the factory seal just resealed itself. Have washed the car several times since and washed the engine compartment, no leakage.
Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

Subrage is an unknown quantity at this point
i just ran a screwdriver along the sides it cut the seal and pulled it apart, once i was done i just went around with clear silicone and re-put it together. did it yesterday
Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

neocivicracer is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah that will work i would use a screwdriver instead of exacto knife and no sedan lights are not harder they are easier and less messy they have grey gue that is less sticky, also if your newbies would do a search about this topic you would have already known all this stuff instead of making a new post wasting space on the site there are 2 different versions to our headlights on the 7th gen i have done them both.
damn newbies quit wastin space
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

swkfilms is an unknown quantity at this point
whats the easiest way to take apart the sedan lights? they have the grey glue and i think its A LOT harder to get those apart. i like the oven idea, anyone else have any other methods? thanks
marty
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

FroggerDude is an unknown quantity at this point
i used a screw driver to pry it apart. but at first i was stupid and got one side but left teh other "unattended" sorta and it glued back itself. so i had to stick like a screwdrivers at a couple corners to keep it open. i didn't heat it up or anything. had a friend hold the black back part while i held the clear part to pull it apart.
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

neocivicracer is an unknown quantity at this point
use a screwdriver and hair dryer
Old 06-22-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
really, just re-seal it with clear silicone - the black tar stuff is EXTREMELY messy
Old 06-23-2002
Registered!!

Speedracer720 is an unknown quantity at this point
on my sedan it was almost impossible to pull off that goo...i needed my friernd to help me ..i tried the blowdrier but it didnt seem to work to well so i just pried apart and resealed with silicone..USE ALOT OF SILICONE! i didnt use enuff and had to redo mine..oh well