General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

The answer to all of the what intake questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ajhdragon
To further the argument that intakes are not worth it ask gearbox. He has had just about every intake for the d17 known to man. And has also dyno tested all of them. His best gains were with the K&N intake system, like a whopping 2whp. So with the $280 for an intake cost, you could just save another few weeks and get a nitrious setup for $600. Or a decent used kit for around $450.
I am very surprised Gearbox hasn't posted in this thread and yes I agree intakes are just for looks and sound on our cars
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Nakattk is an unknown quantity at this point
ok if you notice I put you may gain a bit (meaning small amount) in the upper rev range. Which is something that I notice with mine. I didn't do like most others and say you get a big power boost. And the only reason I said it is worth it is because this Q has been asked soooooo many times, and from what I have noticed no matter what any one tells a noob, they end up saying they are gonna get it any way. So I say yes because just like when anyone wants something that they can get no matter what anyone says they are gonna get it.

1. Yes intake kits are worth it. Granted you may lose a bit of lower rev range power, but you will gain a bit of higher rev range power. Also it's worth it just for the nice hissing sound under you hood, which gives the impression that you have something that you don't. So please stop asking if it is worth it, because once you get it in your head to maybe get one, then the decision is already over you will have to have it. Also Intakes may improve gas milage ,but they might also lower gas milage it all depends on the application. So many different members report large gains in milage while others report losses, and the only scientific tests have been made by the companies ,that make the intakes. So belive what you want to belive. Milage gains though like power gains will be slight if any.

I thought Gearbox had a Weapon R intake?

The point of #1. If someone told you a turbo wasn't worth it and 100 people back it, but you wanted one. Tell me you wouldn't get it.

Last edited by Nakattk; 07-28-2006 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-28-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
k, well i would rephrased it to something along the lines of
Is it worth it?
Depends on if you want to spend $180 for a very minimal power boost, but very big sound difference. If you do get any sort ofpower increase, it will only be apparent in your head, not on a dyno. It will definately decrease your power in the lower part of your power band (Lower rpms). Basically the best way I can describe what an intake does is it makes your car sound like it wants to be fast, but it's the locomotive that couldn't. It makes your car sound really fast but at the end of the day it isn't.

or something along that sort.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

And I agree it's mainly for the looks and sound which is why the main part of number one is way is below. The only reason I put anything about power at all was because it's asked so much. And I didn't even say there was a big if any power gain.

hissing sound under you hood, which gives the impression that you have something that you don't. So please stop asking if it is worth it, because once you get it in your head to maybe get one, then the decision is already over you will have to have it. Also Intakes may improve gas milage ,but they might also lower gas milage it all depends on the application. So many different members report large gains in milage while others report losses, and the only scientific tests have been made by the companies ,that make the intakes. So belive what you want to belive. Milage gains though like power gains will be slight if any.

Ok will everyone be happy if I take the mention of any power out of Number one even though there is little mention?

Last edited by Nakattk; 07-28-2006 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Hayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Nakattk

I thought Gearbox had a Weapon R intake?
He's had just about every intake you can think of.... you should read his post he knows his stuff

and even with this thread noobs will still ask about intakes and still think it'll give them power.... the main problem with noobs is they can't seem to find the search button they just log on and start posting threads....

Last edited by Hayz; 07-28-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

I mean the one he has now. I thought it was a Weapon R and I do read his posts. His helping people is the reason I joined this site, and the reason I try sometimes to help other noobs with Q's.

Ok will everyone be happy if I take the mention of any power out of Number one even though there is little mention?

OK, Number one has been changed for the massive problems everyone has with it. Is it a little better now?

Last edited by Nakattk; 07-28-2006 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-28-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
ok, look at it this way, as far as lowers gas mileage.
since you loose power in the lower end of the gear means that in order to accelerate as you did before, you will need to give it more gas... this is mainly because the intake is providing so much air as such a low speed, which is bad for low rpms. Now if you compare the gas usage at let's say 5000rpms, then yes, the intake might make a little difference. However, with a stock intake, you might not even need to reach 5000 rpms to accelerate the way you want, you might only need to goto 4000rpm. This is because the stock intake provides the air speed the engine needs at the lower rpms. Do you understand what I mean?
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

Granted the reason I put this sentence at the bottom of #1.

"Mileage gains though like power gains will be slight if any"

I can't personally say there is a mileage loss because I haven't expereinced a loss. Hence the reason to each is own.
Old 07-28-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

do you work for a car dealership or something? cuz all this stuff you say is technically there, but it's in the fine print.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

I think it's ok now. I also added that this is my opinon. I was just trying to help out a bit. forgive me.

Nope I sell apperal. And I hate my job. But I like working on my car, and trying to help people.

Ok honestly the only real problem anyone has had with it is the power and milage part. Which the original statments only mentions slight to no gains. And everyone has freaked out about it. I mean dam* I've seen people type dumber answers to Q's then this and no one says a thing. If you look back at it I think there are no probles now.

Hell the "Official I hate my Honda Civic" thread didn't get this much flak.

Last edited by Nakattk; 07-28-2006 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-28-2006
In love with Diana...te amo

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
just add a turbonator to your intake, 35+hp
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

I didn't think that thing really worked.

Does it?

Last edited by Nakattk; 07-28-2006 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-28-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

he was kidding, same thing as the intake itself.worthless. makes a purty noise though.
Old 07-28-2006
Registered!!

I thought he was, but you never know. I wish there was something that simple that could do that.
Old 07-28-2006

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
ebay performance chip? is teh hawtness
Old 07-28-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

not on these engines, besides f\a and n2o, honda put the best intake and exhaust imo from the factory, imo. you might get very slight gains from exhaust\intake\header, but you loose power in the lower rpms...

Originally Posted by boricua_civic
ebay performance chip? is teh hawtness
hey, that performance resistor has a red stripe on it, not only is that an excuse for me to go drink (hooray beer!) but it also a god damned proven fact that it will make my car have 20 more hp with just an easy 5 min. install!!!
:barf:

Last edited by booba5185; 07-28-2006 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-29-2006
i love my morreale

eddiechaps is a glorious beacon of lighteddiechaps is a glorious beacon of lighteddiechaps is a glorious beacon of lighteddiechaps is a glorious beacon of lighteddiechaps is a glorious beacon of lighteddiechaps is a glorious beacon of light
intkae just replaces that big plastic airbox..nothing else really happens cept a growling noise.
Old 07-29-2006
Registered!!

Hysteria4u is an unknown quantity at this point
K&n Fipk

modified the fipk with a layer of insulation and also slightly extended the coverage of the heat shield as the temps here are hovering about 33 deg cel.

performance wise, 3k and above is more responsive, especially with the a/c off......

comments?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22072006.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	67418  
Old 07-30-2006
Registered!!

highclasswhitet is an unknown quantity at this point
It is way worth it because I went from the stock filter to an Injen CAI and I noticed a major diff. (Have you seen the size of the stock intake???) It not only gives you more air quicker its alot less restrictive so in yurn a lil HP gain and better gas milage. For the guy that said he got 32 MPG with the CAI and then 38MPG with the stock just like someone else commented his foot was probably alot farther down to the floor racing someone or something because I get 40+ now with my Injen CAI.
Old 07-31-2006
Registered!!

jungleheadjim will become famous soon enoughjungleheadjim will become famous soon enough
i put in an intake and i liek it. i dont see how there are no gains when more air plus more fuel = more power. either way. it makes my engine bay look alot nicer and its easier to get to other things now. that hissing sound from it though is pretty annoying.

fancy engine bay FTW
Old 07-31-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
I have an intake and yeah its NOT worth the money!

Sedan and Coupe intakes are exactly the same.

Injen intake with any strut bar or any intake with DC/Neuspeed bars.

etc.
Old 07-31-2006
Registered!!

30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light
its such a waste to spend $200 or even $300 or more on a intake. All it does is make a louder noise and make the engine bay look a little nicer. My ebay cai is the same as any injen, aem or any other extremely expensive intake

diskreet is right
Old 07-31-2006
Registered!!

j.lu is an unknown quantity at this point
I think an Intake (CAI or SRI) in our cars is just for look.
I installed a SRI (Injen) 2 weeks ago and my engine bay looks nicer now.
HP gain almost nothing
Just my.002
Old 08-07-2006
Registered!!

NathanGo is an unknown quantity at this point
why do we have to reflash ECU after install?
Old 08-07-2006

because if you dont, teh ECU will try to mix more air than fuel and then, puffffff!!!!!...you die
Old 08-07-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
or it just adjusts itself over 100 miles.
Old 08-08-2006
Registered!!

I say even if there is no hp gain i like the fact that it makes my engine bay look so much nicer and for powerful. So just for that fact I think it's worth it. Sorry if everyone one else and thier mama thinks differently. Everyone has their opinon and they are entitled to it. So, no one is wrong here, if ya like them for any reason no matter what that reason is then get one, if you don't like them then don't get one. It's as simple as that.Don't hate on everyone else just because they like intakes. That would be like someone hating on you cause of the rims you chose. So, that is my answer to everyone that keeps saying DON"T GET ONE , on it's not worth it. Everyone has their likes and dislikes.