General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Engine Compression

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hockeystar17mnj is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Compression

What is the stock compression ratio of our D-17 motors? And are there any tricks to raise our compression
Old 06-07-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
d17a1 is 9:1 the a2 is 9.5:1 I believe, and dommed pistions always raise compression.
Old 06-07-2006
Registered!!

RAA6785 is an unknown quantity at this point
the d17a1 motor is in what civics in what years ?..01-03 ??.. or am i wrong ?
Old 06-07-2006
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by RAA6785
the d17a1 motor is in what civics in what years ?..01-03 ??.. or am i wrong ?
01-05 lx and dx
Old 06-07-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
a1= non vtec
a2= vtec
Old 06-07-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
I believe the da7a1's compression is 9.5:1 and the d17a2 is 9.9:1. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I own an EX and I"m positive its 9.9:1. Not really a bid deal though maybe just a bit more responsive with vtech.
Old 06-07-2006
Registered!!

krazydriver is an unknown quantity at this point
ronald is right. i checked the manual.
Old 06-07-2006
Registered!!

well i have a d17a2. and im trying to figure out the best way to boost my compression without motorwork. Ive heard of people buying thinner headgaskets, but since ours is so shitty i wouldnt do that. I am at a loss at the moment. I am hoping to be around 11:1 or 12:1 somehow. I have never done motorwork before, it isnt hard to figure out how to get things done in "theory" but the doing is what is so hard.
Old 06-07-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

only way your ever get 11:1 is by motor work. even if you mill the head you might get it to 10:1. sounds like you may want to look into somebody who knows what thier doing replaceing your pistons for you. then again not sure if they even make 12:1 compression pistons for our car. but with higher compression your need to completly retune the thing, probably AEM EMS is your best bet.
Old 06-07-2006
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all
check the manuall again VTECH isnt spelled like that its VTEC. just giving U a heads up before someone goes ballistic on U.
Old 06-07-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
It's also you, not U... just a heads up
Old 06-07-2006
Registered!!

krazydriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by rice4lyfe
It's also you, not U... just a heads up
nice....
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

liubhs02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Going with thinner gasket won't do very much to the compression ratio. Compression ratio is the ratio between the volume of bottom dead center and top dead center. I think if you are messing with the head gasket, might as well just change out the cranks and such. But if you are inexperienced, I don't think you should be messing with the engine. If you want to increase power, you might want to turbo the car. Cuz if you increase the compression ratio that much, you'll have to mess with engine management and other stuff.
Old 06-09-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
whatever you do DO NOT mill the head. its so fragile you will get a blown gasket within a year. find some domed pistons and build the motor. there are no shortcuts.
Old 06-09-2006
Registered!!

classact307 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gearbox- how many thousands are you talking about? Why would .010" make it much more fragile? I understand the less material there, the less strengh, but what #'s are you talking about? I know that pistons are the better way to go. But if you get a warpped head, usually the machine shop will shave it. I am just curious what threshold your are talking about, .010", .015" .030" etc.
Old 06-09-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
you can shave it, actually they had to mill my stock head before it was swapped again. but there are guidelines to follow, and too much they will not do because it will be out of spec. the cooling passages are just way too thin already. the manual says, 0.2mm (0.008 in) is the max resurface limit. i believe mine was milled 1mm and a year later, the coolant had leaked past the gasket. fyi, compression was around 200psi per cylinder after the milling (stock is 135psi).
Old 06-26-2006
Registered!!

dkid15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Head shaving, and higher comp pistons
Old 06-26-2006
Registered!!

thanks for the info. I am currently to pissed at the fact that my car is auto to replace the cylinders yet. Im looking to do a trans swap. Ill ask around and see if any shops will mill the head.
Old 06-26-2006
Registered!!

stephenb80 is an unknown quantity at this point
you should find a machine shop, they can do it for you.
Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

bugsey is an unknown quantity at this point
Different subject...but still on compression. I got a new compression tester and tested the compression on a cold motor...(I would later discover that the motor should be warm) and got 205 (+ or - 1) on all four. I don't have a service manwell so can someone tell me if the above #s are acceptable...or do I need to recheck on a warm motor? What should the psi be?
Old 08-02-2006
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Valdeezy
check the manuall again VTECH isnt spelled like that its VTEC. just giving U a heads up before someone goes ballistic on U.

hey hey.. you never know.. he might mean the phone
Old 08-02-2006
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Originally Posted by bugsey
Different subject...but still on compression. I got a new compression tester and tested the compression on a cold motor...(I would later discover that the motor should be warm) and got 205 (+ or - 1) on all four. I don't have a service manwell so can someone tell me if the above #s are acceptable...or do I need to recheck on a warm motor? What should the psi be?
Those numbers sound good for a cold motor. there is no specification since there are so many variables when using a comp tester. You just want nice even numbers.

BUt on the subject of raising compression without changing bottom end parts. The older d series engine tricks work on our also. you can pull the middle layer out of our stock head gasket and use plenty of copper sealent spray. that will net you around .2-.3 get some flat faced valves that will be another .4 -.6 ish You don't want to go too high without true engine management. I am not a fan of milled heads but it does work also.
Old 08-02-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
so a milled head is a bad idea on the 1.7's^^^
Old 08-02-2006
Premium Member

milled head wont last more than a year trust me i know.
Old 08-03-2006

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
but yours was done incorrectly...^
Old 08-03-2006
Premium Member

well it was flat, incorrectly meaning milling past factory spec. the water passage are just too delicate to do any more. eventually the increased compression will cause small leaks in the gasket.
Old 08-03-2006

hmmm. cool cool.