General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Checking my timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HondaSaurusLX is an unknown quantity at this point
Checking my timing belt

How do I check my timing belt for wear? I just bought a 2001 Civic LX 5-speed from a 2nd owner who doesn't know if it was changed, Don't want to spend a fortune getting a new one if it is in good condition..

Thanks
Old 05-16-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well if its been 100k i would change it anyway. better safe than sorry and alot of times you cant tell if its old or damaged. it may look like new even tho its ready to snap. and btw its under a cover on the right of the engine. you gotta do quite a bit of work to see it, remove valve cover, and then the plastic cover, and then you can only see 1/2 of it maybe.
Old 05-16-2006
Registered!!

dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
then you can only see 1/2 of it maybe.
What does that mean? Why wouldn't he be able to see all of it? Even if he just removes the top part of the cover, wouldn't he be able to see all of it?
Old 05-16-2006
Registered!!

Diablo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by dariusld
What does that mean? Why wouldn't he be able to see all of it? Even if he just removes the top part of the cover, wouldn't he be able to see all of it?
he wont be able to see all of it cause only the top by the cam pulley will be uncovered.the only way he can see it all is to turn the crank and check it a bit at a time or by removing the rest of the cover which will take some work
Old 05-16-2006
Registered!!

dugs05civic is an unknown quantity at this point
or by removing the rest of the cover which will take some work
If you go to all the trouble you might as well replace it and not have to worry about it.
Old 05-17-2006
Registered!!

HondaSaurusLX is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by dugs05civic
If you go to all the trouble you might as well replace it and not have to worry about it.

Since I don't trust myselft to do it, how much should I pay to have it replaced? I got two quotes $350 from Honda for just the belt and $650 for the tensioner, waterpump, and belt from Dodge.
Old 05-17-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I paid around $250 with me buying all the parts.
Old 05-17-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
did you get a cam gear while in there?
Old 05-17-2006
Premium Member

funny yea i had the aem 5 bolt put in. then a couple months later the head blew and i was back at honda this time having everything done over (head swap) and just said put the stock back on. there is no use for it anyway and i feel safer with the covers on it.
Old 05-17-2006
Registered!!

Honda01 will become famous soon enoughHonda01 will become famous soon enough
Is something like this, a basic timing belt, something that you want to be Honda made, or would getting an aftermarket one suffice... say A/C Delco?
Old 05-17-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gearbox
funny yea i had the aem 5 bolt put in. then a couple months later the head blew and i was back at honda this time having everything done over (head swap) and just said put the stock back on. there is no use for it anyway and i feel safer with the covers on it.

so if you have a cam gear, you cant have the cover on? if so f* that.

Originally Posted by Honda01
Is something like this, a basic timing belt, something that you want to be Honda made, or would getting an aftermarket one suffice... say A/C Delco?
id get the honda part, check majestichonda.com

Last edited by blouisgod; 05-17-2006 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-17-2006
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
Go with an oem belt. The damage from a bad belt is not worth the savings. You could save 20 dollars only to spend 500(price for d17 on ebay)