General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Washing with an AEM CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicRiderCA is an unknown quantity at this point
Washing with an AEM CAI

I just installed my CAi and am wondering if there are any guidelines you all might have for me when it comes to washing my car? Should i avoid spraying in the wheel well?

And will installing the bypass valve change the sound of the intake? I ordered one but dont want to install it if the sound is going to be altered greatly.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2002
Registered!!

cro2k2civicla is an unknown quantity at this point
Good questions, I also have these same questions but have no answers for you, Sorry
Old 02-26-2002
Registered!!

01rallyeredex is an unknown quantity at this point
Well on my car i also have a CAI but have not had any problems with the filter getting wet when washing. You don't really have too worry about it cause on our cars the filter its self does not go in the wheel well, it sits right in front of the engine. I have not had a bypass valve on for almost 6 months and have not had a problem yet and that includes driving through a terencial down poor where u can barley see the road. I have also drive through some puddle that might have been bad if i was accelerating but if the filter just get's wet it won't really do anything cause the intake tube gets warm enough that if any little bit of water were to get into the intake tube the heat would prolly just make it evaporate. Hope that helps.

Old 02-26-2002
Registered!!

CivicRiderCA is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks, that does help. You mentioned that you've driven with both the bypass on and off, did you notice a difference in sound or performance? thanks again for your input!
Old 02-27-2002
Registered!!

TryKeepingUp is an unknown quantity at this point
I have not had any problems with the CAI when washing my car. If it gets wet it usually dries by the time I finish washing my car. I do not have the bypass valve and I too have been through some heavy rain and have not experienced any major problems. I did however notice that at times when it starts to rain hard my car makes a poping sound. I figured out that it was coming for the CAI. It acts like when you finish a soda and you continue to suck on the straw, that is the same type of sound I get. I was scared the first few times I heard it but I guess you just have to be careful. As long as you don't get any water into your engine you'll be OK.
Old 02-27-2002
Registered!!

ph0ng is an unknown quantity at this point
for our cars, the bypass is just a way to scam more money out of you. You would have to be a huge idiot to get water sucked up with it.
Have fun washing your car
Old 02-27-2002
Registered!!

01BlackEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think you'll have any problems washing your car with the aem cai in there. Its not in the wheel well like it is on some other cars. Its down in front of the transmission. And even if it was in the wheel well, I think it would still be fine. My b/f's had the cai on his gsr for over a year and has never had any problems with washing his car. Don't worry about it. It'll be fine.
Old 02-27-2002
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, and what about if you go through one of those car washes and get the under body spray..i do this to get the road salt off the under side.
Old 02-27-2002
Registered!!

nrrhgreg is an unknown quantity at this point
That's why you get an Injen intake [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] It's filter is in the front bumper, protected from anykind of underspray.
Old 02-27-2002
Retired Super Mod and STILL Pimpin' Yo Mama

Blk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to behold
My question is, are you washing your car with the engine running? If the filter gets moist from overspray, I doubt it'll be enough to damage the engine...
Old 02-27-2002
Registered!!

01rallyeredex is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually i haven't run a bypass valve at all. I even power wash my car and i still haven't had a problem with the filter getting wet. And like i said b4 if u do get a little moisture in the tube it's self the tube gets warm enough that the little bit of moisture that might be in there will evaporate b4 it even get's close to the engine. The bypass valve is really only good if u put the whole filter underwater and then hit the gas that is what it was designed for. So if u really aren't driving through puddles u really don't need it.
Old 02-28-2002
Registered!!

Rockthumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, I was just wondering that if all this water is "evaporating before getting to the engine" that implies heat, definitely not the point of COLD air intake. Thoughts?