General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Short Ram Intake Physics / theory

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Short Ram Intake Physics / theory

Ok...I have read just about every thread on the anything to do with Intakes. So please don't flame..my fire suit expired.

Why is it that low end power is decreased while air intake is increased?

I fully understand the "purpose" of the stock airbox and how it keeps air stored for constant airflow...And I understand that our car is only going to suck as much air as allowed by the ECU. So no matter what the same amount of air is going into the chamber...right?

It blows my mind how low end power decreased, but higher rpms and highway speeds the shortram feels more responsive.

Can someone explain this without using the word velosity stack.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I'll use the word vaccuum then.
First of all, its not how much air the ECU lets in, its how much air your right foot lets in, and at the most, its an amount defined as how much volume the engine vac pressure can suck through a 63mm hole.
Short rams (all filter on a stick intakes) use a filter that is excessive for the amount of air the engine requires, it then has little restriction in it, which disperses the engine vaccum pressure over that enormous filter area, which has the effect of making the vac pressure lower, making it basically harder for the air to get sucked through the filter.
The car needs some backup or reservoir in the intake system to make low end power, which is why you see a lot of the higher end induction systems retaining airboxes or using huge expansion sections to maintain a volume of air that can be pulled through into the engine on demand. The engine can draw from available air (closer it is to the engine, the less sucking the engine has to do to get it, that then creates a larger low pressure spot because its a large space, and vacuum resupplies the chamber.

I don't really know the best way to put it in words... its all pressure related effects, its all sucking.
The better response is due to low restriction, but it also hinders low end power. No matter what, you're getting 1 HP.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 03-23-2006 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-23-2006
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
That has to be the most concise explaination I've read about the intakes. Good job Boiler!
Old 03-24-2006
Registered!!

skoot is an unknown quantity at this point
I get it..That's a perfect explination...Thanks a lot!

So any recomendations as far as oem or Injen short ram? I have gone back and forward so many times on this battle. I think everytime my wife asks me what I'm doing I pretty much either putting the stock box back on or installing the injen...Sound is cool, but I want a little go for around town. Hwy speeds it works nice, but I get smoked at the traffic lights by other rice

Last edited by skoot; 03-24-2006 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost