General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

i grounded the + side of the battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i grounded the + side of the battery

Well I was installing some more ground wires and on some website it says if you ground the + terminal to the chassis it makes the voltage better. I tried it and when i connected the wire sparks were flying all over me and then I smelled some really bad burning smells. Now nothing works no radio and car wont start
Old 02-14-2006
Unsalvageable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trusted
arent you supposed to ground the - side of the battery? anywho, i hope you get your stuff up n running soon
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
uh did u disconnect the terminals before u attached the wire? yeesh man everything bad is happening to you
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

gaugeof12 has a spectacular aura aboutgaugeof12 has a spectacular aura about
I hope you fried fuses & not anything more important. I dont think that grounding your positive terminal sounds very safe anyway. Hope you get back up & running soon. GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-14-2006
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
that would be like touching the positive and negative terminals together. in other words that site you read was full of it.
Old 02-14-2006
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
damn that sucks. just goes to show that not all websites are reputable. do you know whats wrong with it? maybe you just killed your battery... i hope that everything works out for you.
Old 02-14-2006
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
LoL umm theres a reason its called ground and the batter has a + and a - side lol.. But hey we live and learn.. Sounds like you could have A) Blown a fuse, B) Blew up your battery or C) fried the ECU... Sucks man..
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
suppose to ground the (-) to the chassis I believe.
Old 02-14-2006
Titanium Metallic. You got a problem with that?

Nodnero has a spectacular aura aboutNodnero has a spectacular aura about
I think the website you got should be shut down and the owner given a swift kick to the groin. All grounding the positive end of the battery to the chassis would do is send the charge directly to the chassis and fry anything that didnt have its own ground.

I am hoping that you immediately threw the ground off of the chassis and away from your face before major damage occured to your car.
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
You just learned the basics of arc welding

With enough luck, check your fuses and replace what needs to be replaced. Hopefully the ECU is okay..
Old 02-14-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
lol okay before this goes too far. i didn't really do that, i found someone asking it on another forum and wanted to post it here to see what crazy replies i get. but i did do something similar when working on my amp i dropped a screw and somehow landed right inbetween the + and - making sparks. since the amp was grounded nothing really happened until i finally found a cloth nearby and got the screw off.
Old 02-14-2006
Unsalvageable

rEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trusted
you got us =D
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
^ sure... we all know you did it, can't cover your *** now. hehe
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
GEEEZ. What the heck is going on here? Really... If it isn't broken, don't fix it. The car's original grounds are fine. There are no tangible benefits by adding your own or by spending your money on some hyper-circle-equalizer box, wire kit, or whatever.

Now to fix your car... Consider yourself lucky. Your battery could have exploded and caused blindness, or worse. I believe your battery is the only thing which was destroyed by this mishap. Test your voltage and report back. If it is low, substitute another battery and attempt to start it.

You should always wear eye protection when working with the battery. The battery produces hydrogen. Sparks can be produced when connecting or disconnecting the terminals when changing the battery, jump starting, or if you really goof... Sparks and hydrogen make for a big bang.

Electronics are all powered by magical blue smoke... Once the blue smoke is released, stuff stops working.
Old 02-14-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
i hate when people dont read the posts before they post.
Old 02-14-2006
Premium Member

i got a good laugh from that one and some info i didn't know. but i did have experience with the magic blue smoke you speak of.
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

Matulin407 is an unknown quantity at this point
my ***** itch. Ive scratched them raw.
Old 02-14-2006
Premium Member

well this thread is over. wh0re it up everyone. lets see how far it goes til tomorrow
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
you need to be banned from doing any mods to your car, LOL.
Old 02-14-2006
Banned

LowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to allLowLife is a name known to all
***** what now?
Old 02-14-2006
Premium Member

this thread. i thought people would start posting random stuff
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

fiatdale will become famous soon enoughfiatdale will become famous soon enough
The funny thing is, at the start of this thread, people actually questioned the fact that + meant positive and - meant negative. I hope to god they were joking, otherwise you guys have a lot to learn, and should never attempt to jump start or work on a vehicle ever.
Old 02-14-2006
Wanna see a donkey show?

cg95660 is an unknown quantity at this point
With as much bad luck as you have had with your car its kinda not hard to believe......lol jk. Btw I like jalapenos but they do not like me!
Old 02-14-2006
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
check all your fuses... you blew something for sure.

Like someone already mentioned... when you touched the positive terminal to your chasis... you basically touched the positive and negative terminals together (negative terminal is already grounded to your chasis).
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
...Some people read but dont read it all.
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
nice cover story
Old 02-14-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DDragon7
...Some people read but dont read it all.
yeah i read like 10 threads where people read like the first 5 posts then reply, when there is 9 pages and the problem was solved on page 3....
Old 02-14-2006
A big, hairy Kentucky boy

stinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to all
I just read all of this and got nothing from it.

Also, for lunch today I had a turkey sandwich, a salad, and a nice tall glass of water.
Old 02-14-2006
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
The best is when the wrench while tightening the positive hits the chasis.
Old 02-14-2006
PWIT

no the best is when your trying to jump start your gf car and the jumper cables are like 20+ years old and go on fire while attached to your batter, i melted my skin right off trying to get those ****ers off my battery

Quick Reply: i grounded the + side of the battery