General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Converting DX stuff to SI

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
frank_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Converting DX stuff to SI

Hi guys, I have a 2002 dx sedan.

I want to do some change/swap some stuff: cluster, console and seat.

I want to know if 2005 SI cluster will fit my car, with or without re-rewirering.

Also, can the 2004-05 SI console would fit ? I like the armrest and box of it.

Next would it be easy to replace my dx front seats for SI seats?? these are harder and more comfortable

Remember that my car is sedan and that the SI is coupe.

Finally, I'd like my dash lights (climate controle, air recycling, etc.) to fit my stereo lights (blue or red). Will I need to modify something or just putting some lens cover or changing the bulb will do?

thanks
Old 02-07-2006
my vtec brings all the girls to the yard

mrDFWmechanic will become famous soon enough
cluster wont work unless you make a bezel for it and rewiring it just isn't worth it.
center console wont work
the seats will bolt up with smoe simple adjustments to the brackets
Old 02-07-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
cluster might be a rewire job, although I am not sure.

there are center consoles for the sedan that you can pick up with an armrest from honda. they are for 04-05 though and I don't think its going to work cause of the shifter bezel differences.

and SI seats are a somewhat easy install. you need to dremel or file one of the 4 holes on each seat and then just put the bolts back on. RSX seats are almost exactly the same, which I have them, but harder to install. So its very doable and very easy. Just a few hours of dremeling and fitting and dremeling and fitting.
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

Well thanks for the info. I heard the cluster should work with re-wirering but not sure. For the console you gave me the hint. I look forward to try some front seats
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

hdave is an unknown quantity at this point
im fairly certain the cluster will work once rewired
arent the front seats the same?
check out www.ledautomotive.com for changing the colour of the lights
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

hdave is an unknown quantity at this point
oh wait a minute i jsut realized ur from the states...

if si = ep3 then ignore everythnig i said
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

Well thanks for the info on the leds.... but if I follow the URL you send me , I think I just can change the button filters (mine are yellowish-greenish) I can change for red filter .!?! ..are those simple transparent sheets ???
Old 02-08-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
its very hard to find good blue or red filters that dont make the light coming through much dimmer.
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

ok then I'll try leds with a friend of mine...

I'll look further for cluster and seat
Old 02-11-2006
Registered!!

RedBull is an unknown quantity at this point
I got the blue leds from that site... they work great... but take some work putting them in. Get the whole coversion set... rather than each separate.

The easiest way to do the cluster swap is just get a lx or ex cluster at a junk yard or on ebay. And then get a bezel and reverse guage kit. That way you won't have to fool around with too much wiring and it will seat like the original one you got now. I'm working on this right now... but trying to find someone to reset the mileage on the new cluster.
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

Well thanks for the hint, but I think thaht reverse gauge kits are extremely ugly for their white background. anyways just my 2cents!
Old 02-13-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
wait is the si your talkin about the canadian si which is the US EX or you mean the SI hatch?
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

As I'm a canadian, for me a SI is liek a sport Coupe... So it could be your EX. Surely is not a what we call SiR (hatchback).
Old 02-13-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
ok so the then, the EX (Si) cluster will work with rewire, but the LX one is the exact same thing and it works with not rewire, the seats should be identical except for the pattern on them and the console should fit the exact same way, you might have to make some custom ways of holding it in place, but it will fit, and you will have to take off the arm rest on your seat.
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

Alright then. I'll go for it on the cluster. And I'll push my friend so she can sell me her seats (she wants Racing ones, which I don't).. thanks a lot CenZ
Old 02-13-2006
PWIT

np, im 100% about the no rewire, but from what i read, thats what i got, and the rewire doesnt seem to take more that 1-2 hours anyway
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

I was more concern by the fitting of the cluster in the dash without any custom bezel than the wirering. also i'll check how could I re-clock the odometer at low cost at my Honda dealer or at some mecanic store.
Old 02-13-2006
PWIT

yeah, its not cheap to do that, but if you pick up a odo with less milage it aint that big of a deal, but if you pick one up with more, i wouldnt install it til your abou that milage.
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

why would it be easier with an odometer less than my actual km ?
I tought that it was just a kind of chip that needed to be flashed like a ROM or EPROM ...

Also, I heard I just can swap my odometer with some soldering and wirering, not sure about that though!

if my new odometer as about 1000 km more than my actual I will wait that my odometer raise near it and swap it. I just hope it won't be on the highway as I'm driving to work :P
Old 02-13-2006
PWIT

wel its not that its easier, but then when you sell your car, you have say 1000km less than whats really on it.
Old 02-15-2006
Registered!!

SleakCivic02 should not be trustedSleakCivic02 should not be trusted
one question? why would you want to put in the ugliest dash from a civic into your pretty little civic? sorry but the whole 01-04 si is ugly
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

SleakCivic02 well, my grildfriend got a Civic SI (LX or EX in USA, not the SiR or SI hatchback). I love this black background with red lights. Not this ugly greenish cluster that I have on my DX-SEDAN or something ugliest: SiR (hatchback) white-faced gauges. I've bought some red filters for my dash and started making this dash conversion.
Old 02-16-2006
PWIT

if you want the black faced guages that 03-05, at least here in the states, the 01-02 have silver faces.
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

yes I know... but as I'm looking for a kph prior than a mph cluster I want this black background with red and white lights . I think I found one like this for 150$CA but not sure if it's the one I want. I need to pay prior to see.

In attachement I put the cluster I so badly want.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	l_240_Civic-0904-03_b.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	64519  
Old 02-16-2006
PWIT

that 03-05 LX/EX Coupe guages, the sedans are blue,
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

Well I heard this one fits!
Old 02-16-2006
Boredom causes changes ;)

Karumba has a spectacular aura aboutKarumba has a spectacular aura aboutKarumba has a spectacular aura about
The 03-05 cluster will fit into 01-02, however you WILL require some rewiring/changing the pins around in the back for it to work.

Seats are interchangable.

Center console is not interchangable - different part number and fitments to my knowledge. But can probably look into that moreso to find out 100%.

You can try lens cover on the lights, but doubt they'd work. More than likely you'll have to go the led way. Seeing as you are from Canada East area, I'd say ask TeLLy for some pointers. I'm also sure he has leds to sale for cheaper than that site. Though may only have blues not reds if you want to go the red way.