General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

The right way to put the exhaust mani gasket on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
The right way to put the exhaust mani gasket on?

So I was told something that didn't make much sense to me, but robbclark said to use copper sealant on the gasket when I put it on. Which makes no sense to me, because its like sealing the seal. Did some googling and found that some people recommend siliconing the gasket to the head prior to bolting the header in place. So whats the deal? I was thinking gasket like put it in between and torque the bolts down on it, boom seals like it should assuming everything's flat. Seems like silicone, even the high temp stuff would melt to goo, and I've never heard of using copper sealant in there before. I figured someone would have said it by now.
Other thing I can't figure out is there's 2 lengths of bolts, if I'm buying new ones, how many of each do I need, or better yet, is there a stud conversion kit available?
Old 01-17-2006
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute
If i remember correctly there are 3 studs with nuts and 2 bolts holding the manifold to the head. I wouldnt use any type of sealand just a new OEM metal gasket. Honda doesnt use any type of sealant stock.
Old 01-17-2006
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
no sealant is needed unless you have some imperfections in one or both surfaces. Sometimes in the past when doing a head gasket ive used copper spray, it helps fill VERY small voids in either of the 2 surfaces. Silcone is a temp fix for VERY huge imperfections and i dont recommend it. Most likely you wont need either
Old 01-20-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
just like tnaff said, you shouldnt need a sealant. When I broke my old OEM header and installed a new one, I just slid the new gasket over the studs and slid the manifold on and torqued it down, and dont have any leaks.
Old 01-20-2006
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
I just replaced old gasket with new one and tightened all bolts, nothing else
Old 01-20-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
yes exactly. they sell some ultra copper silicone sealant that is resistant to very hi temps but you shouldn't need it.

Originally Posted by tfnaaf
no sealant is needed unless you have some imperfections in one or both surfaces. Sometimes in the past when doing a head gasket ive used copper spray, it helps fill VERY small voids in either of the 2 surfaces. Silcone is a temp fix for VERY huge imperfections and i dont recommend it. Most likely you wont need either