General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

auto trans operating temp?

Old 01-05-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
auto trans operating temp?

what is our auto trans oil temperature at normal conditions? i ask because I saw something on the B&M website that says at 175 the trans lasts 100k miles, then with every 20 degree increase in temp the numbers go down drastically. 220 = 20k miles, 240 = 10k miles etc. i also want a basis for comparison since i have a trans cooler installed now and want to see what difference its making.
Old 01-05-2006
Show me your titties, I'M RICK JAMES BITCH!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SilverStreakEX is an unknown quantity at this point
qwik question, did you install the cooler yourself, and if you did how hard was it?
Old 01-05-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...=tranny+cooler
Old 01-05-2006
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Gearbox... the problem with this transmission isn't so much heat, but a flaw in the clutch pack carrier. But Honda will never cop to it. It's a civic, so they don't care.

Tranny cooler IS a very good idea for any transmission, and it might last longer if it were a mechanically sound design to begin with. I doubt, given the 7th gen transmission, that it will make much of a difference. Eventually the clutch carrier will crack, then the transmission slips, and BOOM.

The best course of action is to hunt down the updated (redesigned) part and rebuild the transmission with that, NOT the OEM honda part.

So to answer your original question, the transmission temperature is directly related to how much load you put on it, and outside temp. Drive gentle and not up hills, it'll break anyway but take longer.
Old 01-05-2006
Premium Member

jeez thanks. i have two years of warranty but with my luck it breaks after that. Well I guess I'll get the tci rebuild kit and have it done right. so when a tranny starts to slip, is it better to immediately take it to a shop, or is it already junk anyway.
Old 01-05-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gearbox
jeez thanks. i have two years of warranty but with my luck it breaks after that. Well I guess I'll get the tci rebuild kit and have it done right. so when a tranny starts to slip, is it better to immediately take it to a shop, or is it already junk anyway.
almost makes you want a manual swap before you do the turbo, hmm?
Old 01-05-2006
Premium Member

i would if i could
Old 01-05-2006
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
My 1st shifts hard into 2nd. My 2nd slips into 3rd. Only my 3rd to 4th and 4th to overdrive work smoothly.

Does the TCI auto overhaul kit fix the "clutch carrier"? Is it possible the 04 auto tranny is fixed?

Also, I emailed TCi and they dont seem to reply. But do they sell overhauled 7thgen trannies? id rather get on of those.

Last edited by AzNmiKex215; 01-05-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2006
Premium Member

someone bought the tci overhaul kit and torque converter. the main kit is master racing 559100. it requires taking apart the tranny anyway so might as well put it on if you need a new one. no sense rebuilding a trans and then it still has the problem. i'm not sure what the kit comes with tho as far as the defective part.