General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Diff between HID and plasma blubs

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridge is an unknown quantity at this point
Diff between HID and plasma blubs

WHat is the diff between a 400 dollar HID system and the 60 dollar xenon bulbs?
Old 02-11-2002
Si(R) killer # 1

CoupeStylz is an unknown quantity at this point
HID is for people who want more light. $60 bulbs are for ppl who want to look like them. honestly, the blue coating actually loses up to 20% of the light from the bulb, though some manufacturers compensate by starting off with a brighter bulb so the result is a bulb that is no brighter, but with a different color.
Old 02-11-2002
Registered!!

bottlefed is an unknown quantity at this point
well the 400+ $ HID system is what the BMW's have and a lot of other expensive cars. they are fuggin sweet. i'm sure you can notice the difference?? i'm not sure how it works but it's not just a bulb like coupestylz sounds like he's saying.
Old 02-11-2002
Registered!!

mwwhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
xenon bulbs dont look like hids? they are like bright white....hids look insane, and they change color and shizzo....(at least they do when they are installed in projector beams)....hids have much more of a bluish tint, or purple, all depending on the frequency of the kit that you get

plus hids provide a TON more light, and use a TON less power......and produce a TON less heat

in addition studies show that they stimulate the drivers eye to remain focused and attentive...(all cool w/ me while i drive at night)

peace.....
Old 02-11-2002
Registered!!

0100010 is an unknown quantity at this point
HID = as good as it gets
Plasma/Hyperwhite/superwhite/whatever = not as goodas HID, but whiter than stock
Stock = normla halogen performance.

HID's produce more lumens(measurable brightness), use less power(35watts) and burn cooler, and last for about 6 years. They are a more pricey investment initially, and take some work getting the beam pattern good in headlight housings like ours that were not designed for HID bulbs, but they are a vast improvement over "HID-wanna be" bulbs. Also can be hard to "wire them", to find places to mount the additional hardware, but it's worth it. Usual cost can rage from 350+(used) to well over 1000, depending on what all is purchased.

The plethora of hyperwhite/superplasma H4 bulbs that are out there try to emulate an HIDs performance by A)running at a higher wattage and B)using coated glass to filter out the yellow spectrum of the light output. This causes the bulbs to burn hotter(shortens lifespan), and use more of your cars power(usually80/100 watts), and they can burn your headlight housings, and posiibly fry your stock headlight wire harnesses. If you do dcide to go with a type of these bulbs, get some that match the stock wattage(55/60watts). I have found CATZ Galaxy Whites to look the most like true HID, and they have a good warranty, but are not DOT approved. Most of the HID wanna be bulbs are not DOT approved. Also, the glass coatings used to filter the yellow colors, actually cause the bulb to lose luminousity(light output). They are the same size as stock H4 bulbs, and have a good beam pattern, but they usually burn out after a couple months. Usual cost is 40 to 90 dollars for a pair.

Then of course you have your stock H4 bulbs. Usual yellowish halogen coloration, burns at 55/60watts, and is designed fo the headlight housing, so the beam pattrn is correct, and they last about a year(can be longer, but its good to replace them each year). Usual cost is about 20 bucks.

Overall, I say if you want to go for an HID look, then just same up the cash to get yourself real HIDs. The cost of replacing HID wanna be bulbs over a year will cost you that same as buying HID to begin with, and your HID kit will probably last longer than your car.
Old 02-11-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
that's why u can buy a true hid kit for 470 shipped on groupbuycenter! i want it i want it!
Old 02-12-2002
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
I was looking at getting a pair of the bulbs too, not sure what kind. But what kind should i get then, cause now I am all confused [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] as to what I should get if they burn out all the time.

Crashoveride