General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Opposite Post for "can I use small air filter?"

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starstryke is an unknown quantity at this point
Opposite Post for "can I use small air filter?"

I had wondered many times whether a large air filter would allow well, a greater flow of air?

If not, would something like Ducts (used mostly by Nascar for brake cooling) would work and where would I place them? I really want to decrease my underhood temps since this aside from weight reducing is one of the best upgrades (per cost) that exist.
Old 11-12-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
well you could cut a hole in the bumper where the fog lights go or something if its a cai, if its sri pretty much no unless you do the same thing and flow tubing up to the filter. not real sure of where the filters go exactly cus ive never bothered getting one.
but i saw on h-t.com a new "jdm" way to do this, shimm the hood hinges so the rear of the hood sits up 2 inches higher, acts like a cowl on a hood like youd see on a camaro.
Old 11-12-2005

tried finding that article since it might be very useful if I can only see how it's done and what the after pictures look like.

can't find an h-t.com though
Old 11-12-2005

jamesandrew58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by starstryke
tried finding that article since it might be very useful if I can only see how it's done and what the after pictures look like.

can't find an h-t.com though
REP ME!

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1416016

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=929416

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1302176

ill add more links if i find them

how do you deal with water when washing ur car?

Last edited by jamesandrew58; 11-12-2005 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2005

I put a plastic bag around my air intake filter, every time I take my car to the wash (manual wash).

If I have no time for a manual wash I've mapped out all the touchless car washes in town (1 that is good)... but I might have to avoid it after this mod or create a shield or sorts on the right side of the filter to deflect rainwater.

Last edited by starstryke; 11-12-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2005

how much of a gap in inches is this like 2"?
Old 11-12-2005

yeah it will look doofy but I want lower hood temps especially when I get my k20 swap (in a couple years, haha). But I found a page with various air scoops if anyone reading this thinks the hood shimming looks lame

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/brkduct.htm

Also known as NACA ducts for those who didn't know

I might use both because I'm insane like that and am lucky enough to live somewhere where temps never go close to freezing.

Last edited by starstryke; 11-12-2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2005

ill try do this on my 04 vic... im live in Hawaii and when i go canyon runnin it can get pretty hot
Old 11-12-2005

hope I was able to rep ya, I've never done it before, thanks man.

I live in a valley and I used to race unmodified rallye cars. At any rate I love windy runs and tend to push my car a little over the edge so air flow will help a ton.

Now I just gotta remember to keep changing fluids and making sure al bolts are tight/etc.

Last edited by starstryke; 11-12-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-13-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Best mods you can do to combat heat are get a CAI and heatwrap (~$70) the thing all the way to the throttle body. should keep it really cool.

http://www.cryo2.com/
Old 11-13-2005
Registered!!

SimonTek is an unknown quantity at this point
I know for a fact, behind the Pass side of the bumper, Where the foglights go, There is nothing there. If you were to take the plastic pieces out, and get the lil grills, you should have room to add an air system there. There is no better place to put it really. Plus not as Likely to get full of water.
Old 11-13-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
heat wrap makes the tube hotter. best is get a plastic intake.
Old 11-13-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gearbox

http://www.cryo2.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=33

Sorry its an "intake wrap" not heat wrap.
Old 11-13-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i bought that and threw it away soon after. its junk.
Old 11-13-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gearbox
There's 2 kinds. the Foil thermal shield stuff, and heat wrap. The foil stuff repels heat, exhaust wrap holds it in.
Old 11-13-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by starstryke
I had wondered many times whether a large air filter would allow well, a greater flow of air?

If not, would something like Ducts (used mostly by Nascar for brake cooling) would work and where would I place them? I really want to decrease my underhood temps since this aside from weight reducing is one of the best upgrades (per cost) that exist.
The engine can only suck in so much air. You can put a filter from an ocean liner on there, it wouldn't make the engine breathe any deeper. The intake doesn't decrease your underhood temp anyways, all it does is get somewhat cooler air into the engine. It doesn't matter enough to make a difference. If you're trying to find power, boost it. Changing a filter size does nothing. All these cone filters suck in far more air than the engine can handle anyways.

Do a search. A lot of people have played around with intakes and ****, no one's really accomplished anything groundbreaking.
Old 11-13-2005

I'm not gonna bother boosting my car until I do a swap.. was think of the RSX-R k20, found the engine+tranny+axles for $8500, just working on getting a career before I make that move to a stock 220hp car.. after that I'll do all the aftermarket crap but my goal is to keep it a sleeper so my current muffler (flowmaster) is gonna stay with the stock resonator to muffle down exhaust noises..

I had also thought of getting a CF hood/trunk but painting them taffeta white to match my car.. total sleeper.
Old 11-14-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
^ i think it sounds like a cool idea to you now but later youll kick yourself in the **** because it would look so much nicer non-painted, plus youll have overspray underneath so when you open them it will look rather crappy.

at least thats how i would feel.