General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Rattle in Rear (SOLVED)!!!

Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whelan is an unknown quantity at this point
Rattle in Rear (SOLVED)!!!

I figured it out last night and fixed it. On my 02 Civic Coupe there has always been this constant annoying light rattle that sounded like it was the actual backseat. So I always figured it was where the latches were when you fold the seat down. Well it turns out this issue is from a completely different source.

Your Head Liner!

So I picked up a few pieces of insulation foam and pulled down the head liner simply by using a coin to twist the center plug in the rear then prying the clips along the back edge. Then add the foam in order to keep the liner pressed and firm so the rattling will cease. My rattle was coming from the passenger side so I pust most of my foam there. But man what a difference, the car is so much quieter.

Give it a try, next time you are driving and you hear that weird rattle from the rear seat, reach your hand up and push the head liner back there up and listen, Unless its an exterior problem (wheels, suspension, etc.) Then this should be your issue.
Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

hypnotic7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
nice! i hate those weird annoying rattles. i've currently got one under my car i think it a heat shield rubbing against my exhaust so no big deal.
Old 10-29-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
yeah welcome to the 7th gen civic. thats a big one and also the rattle of the rear deck hitting the rear window- some window foam works as a great buffer.
Old 10-29-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
my ceiling used to rattle the first few months after i bought my car. It went away, but in my car, it always feels like the rattles just move from one place to another. I gave up trying to solve them. I have one coming from behind my dash when i drive over 60 mph, I just turn up the radio.
Old 10-29-2005
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
there are all kinds of annoying rattles mine happens to be in my trunk lid in the center right at the edge and i've yet to stop that one
Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

Whelan is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I had the license plate fixed before I even got the car. some rubber washers to prevent the rattle there. Other than the head liner which is now fixed I have nothing in the car that rattles or makes noises and Im sittin at 61K
Old 10-29-2005
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Ashhole will become famous soon enoughAshhole will become famous soon enough
yeah those rattles suck. ive got one coming from the mud flap on my front passenger side fender.
Old 10-29-2005
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute
yeah, i have the same annoying rattle in my 02 sedan. i always thought it was in the liner (in particular i thought it was the wires for the dome light hitting the frame), but my friends always said that it sounded like it was further back. anyways, i tried silencing the wires once, but that didn't work, so now i guess i'll tyr silencing the whole liner itself!