General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

SPEED LIMITER !!!!!??????!!!!please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hose2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]to every one who left a good opinion thank you [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] i might be new to this forum but i have been watching this sight since it first started, and for those who dont know the true purpose of this website and all the other ones its really is to see who has the better car and also for those who want to help us newbies in these forums thanks for your help, but for the people who hate....... [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG] keep hating i will see at the race line
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
eh if I'm not mistaken our stock tires are speed rated under 100mph..closer to 90 i belive..dunno for sure...
oh and hose2k1..you go girl! obviously you know the "true purpose", yeah man I bet your civic is super cool, it prolly just zips down the road at ungodly speeds, and I bet its gonna be even funner when you get into that accident and kill some innocent people..maybe a whole family or something? yeah that sounds cool man! so this "race line" you talk of....is this some kind of foot race or something? if so count me in
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

plillep [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG] this is forum is dedicated to civic tech. its not a dating service so stop posting your picture up you spears wanna be
Old 02-05-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
What tires came on your car? We can look up the speed rating, if any.

I think all the EX OE tires are H rated.

Now then if I want to go down to the old airport and run my car around as fast as it cen go, it ain't gonna hurt nobody, except maybe me. I don't think I need to be protected against myself. I don't think I'd be doing much of that in traffic. It takes too long and too far to get a Civic up much over 100 mph anyway.
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

<< plillep this is forum is dedicated to civic tech. its not a dating service so stop posting your picture up you spears wanna be >>

dude stop your just making yourself look even stupider....[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Yeah Barkat...nothing wrong with doing that on a closed private road...all you would do there is hurt yourself. But hose was talking about speeding on public roads and racing w/ his buddy's car or something like that....you know, the usual dumbass teenager stuff. I don't really agree to much with that, I've seen what happens when people are idiots behind the wheel on public roads.
Old 02-05-2002
Premium Member

Oh I agree with that. I stay the hell away from the wanabe street racers.
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

yo barkat thanks but you know what? i dont know the speed rating for my tires. and me topping out at a hundred is probably cause i got a huge box in the trunk and of course that helps in making it impossible for me to get to my top real speed this in return pust more stress on my engine and slows me down.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG] anyways i figured there was a diy to stop from getting to 140. oh well [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

i agree with you guys also but i was pusing my car at 3 in the morning with no other cars in sight so its just the same as being by myself. besides i have had my licensce for 5 years and never had an accident so i think i know some what about street raceing but thak you phillepooo any way
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point

<< I'll say again, why do you need to go over 130 mph. WTF. >>

i agree, if you need to go that fast you shouldnt have a car

Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

BlueIce2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
MAN u need to get a a EX 5 SPEED
but anyway i dont think u want to go any faster with factory suspension
i hit 132 in my EX 5 speed and could have went a little faster but its scary as hell and the wheel is real feathery if u twitch with the steering wheel u will lose control of ur ride
SO SLOW UR *** DOWN man
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

Confinement is an unknown quantity at this point
man you guys are really funny and for the lower life form who said that if you need to go more than 100 (or 130 or something like that) then you shouldnt have a car. Then how do you expect us to go that fast? Sorry we dont all own jet engines like you. I am down with Hose2k1 cause all he did is ask a question. The least you people can have is some common courtesy instead of being the tough guy on campus and acting like you are better than anyone else cause guess what big guy?? YOU ARENT ANY BETTER THAN ANY OF US HERE!!. and for the other person that said the lx auto could only go to 110 or 117 thats too bad cause i have gotten mine up to 130 just like the ex. All i did was shift down, i know its not the best thing to do but it was fun, and for all you bleeding hearts. PUT A BANDAID ON! I do my speeding on the track in long beach so yeah. dont go all Bleedy over me cause i hate cleaning up the mess.
Old 02-05-2002
Premium Member

I'm a poor driver. I stay on the road ok, but I don't have much money.
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

...thats all you little kids do these days...
Old 02-05-2002
Premium Member

I am not a little kid.
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

NBlarson is an unknown quantity at this point
Hahaha, man, this has been pretty entertaining. The fighting to info ratio is staggering, I love it! But I guess I should contribute to this thread some how, so here goes:

Governor (aka speed limiter, never really heard it called that before): Built into the ecu, set at about 130. Of course, reaching 130 is an entirely different story. In automatics its a lot harder because of the lack of a fifth gear and the hp needed to get the rev's higher in the later gears. I have an auto ex and the only way I can get that fast is dropping the car back into third (which is horrible for the transmission, strips the gears). Can the governor and the rev limiter (if you want) be overridden? Yes, but I'm not sure if a piggy back computer like the various a'pexi modules such as the v-afc are capable of such things (not saying they can't, just don't have the technical info with me). Now I know that honda ecu's can be hacked, Hondata has come up with a package that allows you to hack into the ecu and change, among other things, the rev limiter and get rid of the governor. I don't know if they have any products for the d17 but that's probably a good place to start.

Can you control the gears of an automatic? Of course you can, its quite simple actually, just leave it in d2 or d3 to force the transmission to go only to that certain gear. It's also quite easy to tell what gear your in even if your in D, just listening to the rpms shift. Now shifting with an automatic is a different story, it will totally kill your transmission, I've seen quite a few trannies killed this way.

Now the whole morality issue of driving fast is something I feel is something to be discussed. Driving at 130 mph in a stock civic is NOT smart, especially with its stock tires. They're only H rated and it's very easy to lose control and kill yourself and/or someone else. On track is a different story, but the street is different, because I'm on it as well. Stick to the track, I hope I helped some [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]. Peace.
Old 02-05-2002
Premium Member

The limiter is based on RPM, not speed. Governors of varioust types have been used on vehiclesfor many years, especially big trucks. Try runing your automatic trans Cvici to redline in 2nd gear and you will not be toing 120 or whatever, but the limiter will engage and cut off the fuel supply.

Tire speed ratings are for sustained driving. I believe H is rated at 124 MPH. Some short bursts to 130, if any semi-stock Civic can do that should not be dangerous if tire condition and inflation is sufficient.

Thanks for the info on Hondata. I couldn't remember that name. Had read something on that a while back.

hondata stage 2 link
Old 02-05-2002
Registered!!

NBlarson is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, they are two totally different things (the rev limiter and the governor) and they act separately of eachother. This is why you cannot get to 120 in second as you said before. But this not why you cannot get past 130 in 4th or 5th (with a manual). The rev's will still be quite low for honda standards (4500-5000), well below the rev limit (I think its 6200, not positive). That is totally the actions of the governor. So if it sounded as if I was using the two terms interchangably, sorry, but they are totally different things.

Oh, almost forgot the whole driving fast thing. Yes, the H tires are rated at 124, under optimal conditions, which is almost never. Things such as road conditions, weather, wind, so many factors make going that fast just stupid. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-05-2002
Premium Member

I've never reached the speed to hit the governor in top gear. 124 is about it. Lack of power and wind resistance set in, I figure.
Old 02-06-2002
Registered!!

thanks confinment bartkat and nblarson i appreciate your help and understand that reaching that speed is danderous if your car is not properly tuned ( im working on that part ). im gonna start working on getting my 2k1civic to its top speed faster. we will see what happens [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG] peace..............
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

strokelessone is an unknown quantity at this point
you can rewire a cars governor to the light dimmer switch, when you want to disable it, but that might be complicated for someone who doesnt have the attention span to turn OFF THE CAPS, but you never know
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

strokelessone is an unknown quantity at this point
BTW I dont think that civics have a governor, I think that the only thing that prevents them from going faster is lack of power and aerodynamic drag, I have had mine to about 125 MPH

but that was downhill with a 50 MPH tailwind
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

new2civics is an unknown quantity at this point
I had my car up to about 122 in 4th by the time i hit 5th i had to slow down
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

So i think that our cars just have rev Limiters
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

yo i dont know cause my civic speedometer says it can hit 150mhp but i havent hit even close to that and body kits and selt belt pads aint gonna do the trick. ither honda lies about how fast there civic goes or that govenor cuts you after a certain speed.
Old 02-07-2002
Premium Member

No way you are going to buck the wind to 150 MPH with 127 hp Civic.
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] Our cars if we are lucky may hit 135 140 with nos or turbo and ecu chip
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

good lord you are stupid, just because your spedo says 150 or whatever does not mean you can reach that speed!
Old 02-07-2002
Premium Member

No reason to call someone stupid, Philippe. Not polite.
Old 02-07-2002
Registered!!

theSHADIEST is an unknown quantity at this point
Heres an idea...Sell your Civic, buy a late model Camaro, pray to God that an American car runs worth a damn and then reach a buck fifty with that V-8 under the hood. 127 horses just wont do it. Why try and force it to....
Old 02-07-2002
Premium Member

That Camaro will run that good. It will also hold up. I just sold my '94 Formula and it ran as good as it did the first year. Automatic, 0 to 60 in 6 sec or less. It would pull the whole 147 MPH in the time it takes to think about it. 93,000 miles and never missed a lick. 8 years and never ever had to pray about anything but getting caught by the troopers.

Not that I am old and on Social Security and my Goodyear pension, I drive a Civic. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: SPEED LIMITER !!!!!??????!!!!please help!!!!!