General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Shaving off stock "Tint dots"

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Shaving off stock "Tint dots"

Has anyone done or had someone (like a tint shop) remove those tint dots that surround the top of the back windshield and the corner windows? If so, how much were you charged, or even better, has anyone DIY? I want to put tint on but I want those things off first.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

Nickabus is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry but this doesn't answer your question but have you heard of a bullet proof tint?
a buddy of mine was telling me about it and wanted to know if it was bullsh!t or not.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

pimpedcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
go to a hardware store or something and get a window scraper... its basicly a razor blade with a handle put some windex or glass cleaner on the window and just scrape them off
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

GTekCiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
bulletproof tint.............. hahahhhahahah,

bulletproof glass is real........ but i dun think bulletproof tint is
Old 01-31-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
I think most tint places take off the dot stuff as part of the job.
Old 01-31-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
It's not as easy as everyone thinks. They're baked onto the glass. You can flatten them out somewhat, but it's almost impossible to remove them. If you somehow managed to do that, then the glass would be matte underneath. I tried razorblading the letters on each side window off with ammonia and I got nowhere. Try those first before attempting the dots. If you get it to work then let me know, I'de like to remove mine as well.
Old 02-01-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point

<< sorry but this doesn't answer your question but have you heard of a bullet proof tint? >>

there's no such thing as that but there's this safety tint where you can break the window from the outside, but the tint will leave the broken glass intact. it's hella expesive though but pretty cool nonetheless. btw, in case of emergency, u can still break the glass from inside the car
Old 02-01-2002
Registered!!

Simkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Tint shops never remove this stuff, the tint just goes right over it, and from the outside it makes them appear to disappear.
Old 02-01-2002
Registered!!

PerfectD3 is an unknown quantity at this point
That black stuff is Teflon, used to help release the glass from the mold at the plant. Sorry guys, but it isn't going to come off.
Old 02-01-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
There is a technique for preventing the white hazy look of tint that covers these dots though. You just use glue that dries clear. You tint as you would normally and then you put the glue on the dots. Then just cover the glue with the tint and smooth it out. I haven't done it yet, but I will when I redo my tint. I already have the glue. I bought some water soluble stuff to make it easy to clean off if I remove the tint in the future. I hope this stuff works. If not, then I'll try something more permanent.
Old 02-02-2002
Registered!!

pinoycivicdxb is an unknown quantity at this point
just leave your car under the sun for few hrs until the glass gets hot so the tint will be soft then get a needle or a pin to pierce the bubble inside the tint then just press it so the air will go out. i hope this will help you
Old 03-13-2002
Registered!!

windowtint is an unknown quantity at this point
this is an older thread, but it needs some clarification for anyone browsing it.

1. Those dots are not Teflon and are not meant for ease of removal at the factory. They are made from CERAMIC and are silk-screened on to the glass as a liquid then baked onto the glass while is being tempered. they serve no other purpose than for cosmetic reasons. They hide the area where the window is glues to the body from sight... basically they tidy the edges of the glass up. Some cars just have a cut-off point of the border, some dont. The reason some cars like Honda have DOTS around the edge is that that's what the designer put there. Plain and simple, no other reason. Designers whim. They serve no function other than to look "good" (we tinters hate them) and supposedly to proved a better transition appearance from black border to clear glass. If you have a wide black dot area (Accord 2DR's, mustangs, etc) ... that is for some small degree of shading on the tops of the heads of back seat passengers.

2. NO THE DOTS ARE NOT REMOVABLE. THEY ARE BAKED INTO THE GLASS. No matter what you try or do, they will not come off. period.
Old 03-13-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
this is off topic-ish but it deals with glass

when you got you new 2k1 or 2k2 civic, did you notice what appears to be suction cup marks from the robots on the rear windows? I wash my car once a week, and after 1 1/2 years i can still barely see the marks when my windows are foggy
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point

<< this is off topic-ish but it deals with glass

when you got you new 2k1 or 2k2 civic, did you notice what appears to be suction cup marks from the robots on the rear windows? I wash my car once a week, and after 1 1/2 years i can still barely see the marks when my windows are foggy
>>

Text yah I had that too when I first bought my car, it went away after a few car washings and I also applied Rain-X to the back window and the Cup marks went away.

Text As far as the DOTS go I had my car tinted about 2 weeks ago and the tint looks fine, if you go to a tinter that has a little experiance there no trouble at all. In fact I kind of like the way it looks.
Old 03-14-2002
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
my tint guy used sand paper and shaved the tops of the dots so it'll hold... the tint sticks to it pretty good so i'm not worried and i'm very happy with his job...
Old 03-14-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
having had 4 cars tinted, I only had one car where the dots were tinted over. The tint never stuck there and it looked like crap. They usually just tint up to the dots and it looks fine in my opinion. Some people will paint over them with black paint but it chips off with time. It's only like a quarter inch anyways, well on the rear of my sedan, so what is the big deal?