General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Can you paint a CF hood, and is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ManUtd0018 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you paint a CF hood, and is it worth it?

Can you paint a carbon fiber hood the original color of your car? I personally don't like the look; however, if the cf hood is a good mod then its something i'd like to look into. If you can paint it, how much weight would the paint add to it, and is it something that can be done at all?
Old 07-21-2005
Registered!!

Pn0ybOiLiKehOy is on a distinguished road
you can paint cf any color u like. it wouldnt add much weight at all
Old 07-21-2005
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
yes it can b done but it wont b like it covers up the cf look. if u look at it it will show the cf look and make it very interesting. idk how much weight it adds. there could b a diff way they paint it but the ones ive seen the paint blended with the cf.
Old 07-21-2005
I'll flip out and kill people.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned
if you paint it with colored clear coat, then you can see the cf. otherwise, you wont see the cf. i prefer painted carbon fiber, but most cf hoods are just for looks anyways.
Old 07-21-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
if you just want te stock color hodd keep your stock hoos or if you really want to sabe that extra 15 pounds but a fiberglass hood its cheaper.
Old 07-21-2005
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Be aware that some shops won't paint cf though. Many non-import shops aren't trained in painting cf and flat out won't touch it. If you're going to have it painted, you've got to go to a tuner shop of some sort.
Old 07-21-2005
Registered!!

Drk01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I would say, don't buy a cf hood if you're going to paint the whole thing. Really the weight you would save on a street car with full interior isn't that great. If you want to shed some pounds, pull out your back seats or something.
Old 07-21-2005
Registered!!

clrumivier4life is an unknown quantity at this point
CF hoods on civics are for looks, painting a 400+ hood to save a few pounds and look stock isn't worth it on our cars...unless you have a really beefed up civic?
Old 07-21-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by white2K2EX
Be aware that some shops won't paint cf though. Many non-import shops aren't trained in painting cf and flat out won't touch it. If you're going to have it painted, you've got to go to a tuner shop of some sort.

I have no idea what you mean

CF hoods have clear coat just like the paint on your car. You can paint it just like anything else.

I had my VIS hood painted and my bodyman said that there were tiny pinholes in the gelcoat and he had to individually fill each one. It came out perfect and you can't even tell.

Here is a pic of my hood....i just washed it and it rained...so there are some spots

Old 07-21-2005
Registered!!

I've done some decent mods to my car, but it isn't a 300hp+ monster or anything close to it. I've always wondered about the cf parts though and how much they actually contribute to making the car faster.

I' just recently looked into the Crower internals that would add 10-15whp; but, to be completely honest, even if i spent 1500. on the internals with no boost i'd still be below 200hp. And when i compare that to the new gto, or srt-4, or rsx-s with mods i often question why i even do any mods at all to the vic. what do you guys think?
Old 07-21-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ManUtd0018
I've done some decent mods to my car, but it isn't a 300hp+ monster or anything close to it. I've always wondered about the cf parts though and how much they actually contribute to making the car faster.

I' just recently looked into the Crower internals that would add 10-15whp; but, to be completely honest, even if i spent 1500. on the internals with no boost i'd still be below 200hp. And when i compare that to the new gto, or srt-4, or rsx-s with mods i often question why i even do any mods at all to the vic. what do you guys think?

CF is mainly for looks unless you have a complete CF car.

I have never seen a 200whp all motor streetable sohc car. Any major motor work for n/a is worthless IMO.
Old 07-21-2005
Registered!!

It's craziness really. I got hooked learning about my car and moding it out. I had the chance a while ago to trade it for an rsx-s used with financing for like 6k i think. i should have traded it. although i still have a lot of fun driving the civic around. the suspension i put on makes it fun.