General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

(QUESTION) No A/C in my 2002 Honda Civic Coupe DX

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005
DMB
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DMB is an unknown quantity at this point
(QUESTION) No A/C in my 2002 Honda Civic Coupe DX

Hey everyone, I was hoping i could get some input about a situation about my car.......

I have a 2002 Honda Civic Coupe DX. It has no A/C. But what I was concerned and worried about is:

1) Is the reason why my car is always like an oven when i get inside of it all the time (without it turned on) because of no freeon/A/C?.... Even with the windows down, it still feels like it's an oven inside the car, like heat is always generating from the vents, even when the *****/vents are all the way on cold.

2) How much would it be to have a new A/C put in the car? (could it work?)

3) Is there anything I can do to prevent my car being extremly warm/hot in the inside without having the roll the windows down, I try using the switch on the bottom far left....... (to close the vents) so no warm air filters through the car and gets blown on me.

ANY help would be greatly appriacted......
Old 07-15-2005
Registered!!

TiM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 2002 DX too as well, although when I bought my car I had to have A/C cause I live in Houston. Anyways, I did look at a few DX's at the time without a/c and I think they told my it would be about $1,100 to put one in before I take it off the lot. Don't quote me on that though, that was a few years ago. I ended up buying a car with a/c from the factory cause I heard it was better, but who knows?

To answer your question though, yes it is possible. As for why your car is hot, the only thing I can think of is you have your vents open. But you said you already closed them.

Last edited by TiM3; 07-15-2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-15-2005
DMB
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TiM3
I have 2002 DX too as well, although when I bought my car I had to have A/C cause I live in Houston. Anyways, I did look at a few DX's at the time without a/c and I think they told my it would be about $1,100 to put one in before I take it off the lot. Don't quote me on that though, that was a few years ago. I ended up buying a car with a/c from the factory cause I heard it was better, but who knows?

To answer your question though, yes it is possible. As for why your car is hot, the only thing I can think of is you have your vents open. But you said you already closed them.
ok....... it will be like a hot oven when i get in it after work, it's unbearable. should i always keep the vents open or closed?
Old 07-15-2005
Registered!!

wicked8932 is an unknown quantity at this point
i got an 03 dx, and i just got A/C installed by Honda. $1,400 seems like alot of money, but trust me, it was definatly worth it, especially because i have a black coupe. if you can afford it, get it installed!
Old 07-15-2005
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

k20txem2 is an unknown quantity at this point
You could always tint the windows and get a front snblocker thing for when you get out of the car.
Old 07-15-2005
Registered!!

I would keep mine closed.
Old 07-15-2005
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
a/c is awesome.
Old 07-15-2005
DMB
Registered!!

you keep your vent (far left button) closed all the time?

so $1,400 to get it installed............ how long does it take? a day?
Old 07-15-2005
DMB
Registered!!

you keep your vent (far left button) closed all the time?

so $1,400 to get it installed............ how long does it take? a day?
Old 07-15-2005
Registered!!

Yes, if I remember correctly. Man, where are you from?? I feel your pain, I used to not have a/c during this one summer where it was 110+ for 12 straight days here. The killer part was I had leather seats.
Old 07-15-2005
DMB
Registered!!

Yes, if I remember correctly. Man, where are you from?? I feel your pain, I used to not have a/c during this one summer where it was 110+ for 12 straight days here. The killer part was I had leather seats.

boston.

i just find it stupid honda has a feature that a button controls air flowing through your car when you drive........ i hate it.
Old 07-15-2005
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
^every car has a vent my friend, not just honda. a dealerships cost (with installation) to install a/c is $1212. i'm sure you could get it done for $1395.
Old 07-15-2005
Addicted To Boost

02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about
i took my a/c off and i never had problems like you guys do, and i drive eternal blue civic in chicago where it gets into 90's and 100% humidity
Old 07-15-2005
I spent 1425 points to do this.

SOHC is an unknown quantity at this point
it may help if u hit the air recirculate button... so that your not pulling hot air from outside.
Old 07-15-2005
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
yup. what SOHC said.

use the air recirculate button. it closes the vents to the outside, which while you're driving, forces air through the system no matter what setting you have your fans/temp gauges on. turn on the air recirculate and no air will come out of the vents at all if you don't have the fans on.

as for sitting in a lot, tint the windows, and get a sunlight blocker for the windsheild. even then it won't do a whole lot. leaving the driver or passenger window down even a small amount will help.
Old 07-18-2005
DMB
Registered!!

One more question about installing a A/C in my 2002 Honda Civic.

Will it be noticable afterwards?... Meaning will they have to tear up my dashboard/etc?

thanks.
Old 07-18-2005
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
^ no, it will be fine
Old 07-18-2005
DMB
Registered!!

Originally Posted by HondaSales
^ no, it will be fine
wow, that's good news......... such little space, but alot to add/install in.
Old 07-18-2005
DMB
Registered!!

do any other civic coupe (lx, or ex owners) have this problem with their inside of the car being really warm?
Old 07-18-2005
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DMB
do any other civic coupe (lx, or ex owners) have this problem with their inside of the car being really warm?
i think all cars will get warm if you leave them in the sun civic lx/ex or not. without using the ac in the lx or ex, the car will be warm on a hot day. the EX gets hotter than the LX and DX since theres a moonroof. you could use a giant visor or windsheld covers for your windshield when you are parking, then your car wouldnt be as hot.

ps: not to sound like a *****, but for the cost of the ac and installation, the LX with ac and some extras would have been a good option.

Last edited by mrchowmein; 07-18-2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
^i do, and i made it worse by installing rsx leather seats. My dx came with a/c cuz it was part of the deal when i bought it. www.handaaccessories.com has the kit available at the lowest price ive seen it at since ive had my car. Id buy that, and if you can, install it yourself, otherwise try to find a third party willing to do it for you.
Old 07-18-2005
DMB
Registered!!

well..... i bought it used (DX) with no A/C.... figure i never use it since it's cold here 8 months of the year.. but now i wish i had it.

i just don't want my dashboard and stuff tore up and ruined when the dealership installs it in soon.............
Old 07-18-2005
Registered!!

i wouldn't reccommend installing a/c yourself unless you have been working on cars for years or know someone who is a mechanic. it is a very long and difficult install, even for honda technicians.
Old 07-18-2005
DMB
Registered!!

true... it would take a full day i was told.
Old 07-19-2005
DMB
Registered!!

it's crazy how puting the **** to COLD, and putting the fan on, blows hot air for like 10-15 min... your better off without it even on.
Old 07-19-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
you guys have it lucky. Its been 116 the last week. And it stays that hot for a looooong time. Luckily my car had 3 months of downtime in the middle of the summer. But I am turbo'd, so I dont ever use my a/c. Its still in there, but my car gets too hot with it on. I hate it. I am thinking of bringing a couple extra shirts with me everyday, and keeping them in the freezer. By the time I drive away, I am soaked in sweat, not even joking. I get lightheaded after 10-15 minutes. Any red light sucks with no airflow through my car. I cant stand it. I am about to borrow my girls jeep (if she lets me) for the summer time. its crazy hot here. 114 today, 116 the last few days. humid as hell too. rained last night. was 110 during the rain, crappy.
Old 07-19-2005
DMB
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
you guys have it lucky. Its been 116 the last week. And it stays that hot for a looooong time. Luckily my car had 3 months of downtime in the middle of the summer. But I am turbo'd, so I dont ever use my a/c. Its still in there, but my car gets too hot with it on. I hate it. I am thinking of bringing a couple extra shirts with me everyday, and keeping them in the freezer. By the time I drive away, I am soaked in sweat, not even joking. I get lightheaded after 10-15 minutes. Any red light sucks with no airflow through my car. I cant stand it. I am about to borrow my girls jeep (if she lets me) for the summer time. its crazy hot here. 114 today, 116 the last few days. humid as hell too. rained last night. was 110 during the rain, crappy.

so you can't use your A/C even though you have it?
Old 07-20-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
its not good for the car. Im boosted. Causes idle to drop very very low, plus my car will get a lot hotter from it.