General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Stock modded intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005
G'z UP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killacamshaft has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Stock modded intake

Since its not a good idea for us to get a sri or cai(wich i already have) Is ther eny way we can mod the stock one to be better or take ideas from it to some what make a better one just curious.
Old 05-11-2005
Registered!!

In Catalyst is an unknown quantity at this point
I sorta custom built an intake. With a blend of a cai AND an sri... I replaced the stock air filter with a k&n drop in filter, then removed stock resonator etc. I then built a pipe off the side of the airbox which goes down to a cooler air level.

Benefits of this are the placement of the filter being at top so I am not worrying about moisture, and I still get a cooler air, faster.
Old 05-11-2005
...ever grinning...

JesterMasque is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by In Catalyst
I sorta custom built an intake. With a blend of a cai AND an sri... I replaced the stock air filter with a k&n drop in filter, then removed stock resonator etc. I then built a pipe off the side of the airbox which goes down to a cooler air level.

Benefits of this are the placement of the filter being at top so I am not worrying about moisture, and I still get a cooler air, faster.
Got any pics? Also, there seems to be a controversy with the K&N drop in. What is involved with the oil etc?
Old 05-11-2005
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
i wanna see pics too!
Old 05-11-2005
G'z UP

i need info and pics
Old 05-11-2005
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
I need more info and pics
Old 05-11-2005
Sweetest Dude on 7th Gen

xX03EXx will become famous soon enoughxX03EXx will become famous soon enough

Sounds kinda ghetto but I see how you were thinking. I dunno how or if that would improve over stock.
Old 05-11-2005
Still in the game...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

scatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Killacamshaft
Since its not a good idea for us to get a sri or cai(wich i already have) Is ther eny way we can mod the stock one to be better or take ideas from it to some what make a better one just curious.
take off all of the plastic bullshit until you reach the little box that houses the actual filter. leave just that little box on....i did this for a long time when i had my 01 EX and tho it may suck in a little more hot air, it felt a tad bit more responsive.
Old 05-11-2005
...ever grinning...

Originally Posted by xX03EXx
Sounds kinda ghetto but I see how you were thinking. I dunno how or if that would improve over stock.
Well, I did the coolant bypass which makes the air cooler, I suppose that would just take it another step further, or half step...
Old 05-12-2005
I'm taking over!

Big Rob has a little shameless behaviour in the past

That's an interesting idea. Has anyone else tried this?
Old 05-12-2005
Registered!!

In Catalyst is an unknown quantity at this point
Pics coming soon... I've been talking to Farage on here and he said he basically did the same thing, but in the end made a switch over to the K&N FIPK II intake system... I'll let you guys know the difference. I did mine fore somewhat cheap tho, compared to the $200 for that intake.

*thanks for the info Farage
Old 05-15-2005
Registered!!

thecheat is an unknown quantity at this point
if you want an intake that is better then stock put a turbo in it, otherwise you are wasting your time
Old 05-15-2005
Registered!!

stepchild is an unknown quantity at this point
Just curious but besides moisture why should we NOT put these CAI's or SAI's on our cars? And speaking of problems with moisture is it that big of a problem and does an air bypass valve work at all?
Old 05-15-2005
Registered!!

Hayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by stepchild
Just curious but besides moisture why should we NOT put these CAI's or SAI's on our cars? And speaking of problems with moisture is it that big of a problem and does an air bypass valve work at all?
I've had a Injen CAI for over a year and I have had no problems just drive smart and you'll be fine and as far as the bypass valve I think there is a thread about it you just need to search..
Old 05-15-2005
Registered!!

Diablo is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had my AEM CAI for about 2 years and no problems. the Honda dealer by me even sells them. i do have by pass valve just in case of water pudle. better safe than sorry
Old 05-15-2005
Registered!!

ashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to behold
i removed my stock resonator, then attached the stock plastic intake pipe directly to the filter housing, and positioned it facing the wheel well. it worked well for a while, but then i got a AEM cold air intake, which is great. i dont know y so many ppl here are against them, they're a good cheap upgrade.
Old 05-15-2005
...ever grinning...

Well, they aren't that cheap and I'd rather have a custom modded stock for cheap than pay $200 for it.
Old 05-15-2005
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
Originally Posted by ashtonp
i removed my stock resonator, then attached the stock plastic intake pipe directly to the filter housing, and positioned it facing the wheel well. it worked well for a while, but then i got a AEM cold air intake, which is great. i dont know y so many ppl here are against them, they're a good cheap upgrade.
hi,

will the car be very noisy without the resonator?

thanks
Old 05-15-2005
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Ashhole will become famous soon enoughAshhole will become famous soon enough
ive had no probs with my CAI, and i did notice a small gain with it. no moisture issues or anything like that, but i did get the bypass just in case. i know some people that lost their motors to water, not wanting to be one of htem,
Old 05-16-2005
Registered!!

oc768 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Big Rob
That's an interesting idea. Has anyone else tried this?
Yep, just did it tonight finally...little bit louder then stock, feels like it pulls a bit more on the bottom, and breathes better up top. I'm sure some of that is placebo effect just from having the noisier engine so it 'sounds' faster...but it stands to reason if you take a flow impeding object out of the airstream then you would be able to get a smoother more constant flow.

I did this primarily because of the quest for better mpg and because I'm the only one that looks under my hood so I really don't care how bling it is
Old 05-16-2005
Registered!!

gagne123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Had My CAI on for a year now, see no problems with it. I even drove with it on all the way through the harsh Northern Minnesota winter. Not much road salt was on the flilter when I cleaned it last week.
Old 05-16-2005
G'z UP

pics of stock modded intakes??????
Old 05-16-2005
Registered!!

ashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by orion_squall
hi,

will the car be very noisy without the resonator?

thanks
not really loud, just deep and very toney on the low end, but once u get upwards of 4000-6000 rpm it sounds pretty nice

I recommend just spending the money on a AEM CAI, its worth it
Old 05-16-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
There were a few members on this board that posted up a pic of another person's Civic.... about a year ago. That person just took tubing that you find from a vacuum cleaner and stuffed it in the throttle body. He was inventive, but got flamed and left.
Old 05-17-2005
Registered!!

oc768 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Killacamshaft
pics of stock modded intakes??????
Have no pics yet, but think like this...

-remove intake horn, resonator, all mtg. brackets, etc. Everything up to the boot that goes into pre-filter plenum. seperate all parts.

-take intake horn/tube that went into resonator, and the grommet from resonator to intake plenum, and put the intake into it at an angle facing downward and forward, now put a 3" pipe clamp on it. You'll have to be crafty as to how to support it, I used thick safety wire and tied it to two points asymmetrically.

done.

I realized today (4AT) that the car is MUCH more responsive then it was before, especially at low revs like sitting in traffic and the initial first gear pull. But it ain't rocket science, I'm sure a CAI does the same thing...just a few hun. more and it gets that high-psi cold air from that 3" of space to the right of where my intake is now.

I'm just cheap though, and prefer OE look to big blingy filter arrangement.
Old 05-17-2005
...ever grinning...

Originally Posted by oc768
Have no pics yet, but think like this...

-remove intake horn, resonator, all mtg. brackets, etc. Everything up to the boot that goes into pre-filter plenum. seperate all parts.

-take intake horn/tube that went into resonator, and the grommet from resonator to intake plenum, and put the intake into it at an angle facing downward and forward, now put a 3" pipe clamp on it. You'll have to be crafty as to how to support it, I used thick safety wire and tied it to two points asymmetrically.

done.

I realized today (4AT) that the car is MUCH more responsive then it was before, especially at low revs like sitting in traffic and the initial first gear pull. But it ain't rocket science, I'm sure a CAI does the same thing...just a few hun. more and it gets that high-psi cold air from that 3" of space to the right of where my intake is now.

I'm just cheap though, and prefer OE look to big blingy filter arrangement.
I perfer the OE look as well... can you please post some pics so I know what you're talkin about?
Old 05-18-2005
I'm taking over!

I did that today. It isn't any louder before, but it does have a deeper tone which sounds great. I'm still not sure as to how it affected my car performance wise. I'll test it more tomorrow and post pics.
Old 05-18-2005
...ever grinning...

Originally Posted by Big Rob
I did that today. It isn't any louder before, but it does have a deeper tone which sounds great. I'm still not sure as to how it affected my car performance wise. I'll test it more tomorrow and post pics.
Thank you! *bows down*
Old 05-19-2005
I'm taking over!

Here are a few pics of my stock modded intake:

This is how I have the inake horn angled. If I were to angle it down any more, there would be engine components restricting airflow.

This is how the intake looks with the resonator gone.

This pic show how I have the horn tied down. I used some pretty heavy duty wire that I had laying around. I don't that that it will be going anywhere any time soon.

This is what my engine bay looks like with the finished product. I was pretty surprised at the amount of room I freed up. Now I have a way to smuggle Mexicans across the border.
Old 05-19-2005
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
LOL

I'll just stick with my 15 dollar ebay CAI

Quick Reply: Stock modded intake