General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Whining noise from motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicguy1xxxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Whining noise from motor?

Ive got a 2004 civic vp, and sometimes it runs fine with no noise, ,and sometimes it makes a whining noise, im guessing its the alternator because the car runs differently when it does this, more sluggish than normal. J/w if anyone has had this problem or if anyone knows whats going on.
BTW i had a 1000 watt amp hooked up, but it does this when the amp was off , i havent even had the amp in the car for a month and it still does it.
Thanks
Mike
Old 03-28-2005
...ever grinning...

JesterMasque is an unknown quantity at this point
I would think that having the amp in your car running off the stock electrical system could put extra weight on the alternator. Most of my friends upgrade their electrical systems when they put in more than x amount of extra stuff in their cars. Can a load tester check your alternator? I think it can... See the output it's giving...
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
I have a 92 Maxima which had the whining noise problem... I posted about this a couple times on these boards.

It turned out that it was the tension pulley that was going bad.... the bearing was shot and when everything was turning that shot bearing made the whinning noise when the car accelerated. Luckily, it was just the tension pulley which is a cheap fix...... another pulley including the A/C pulley or the crank pulley could have made the same noise and those would be much more expensive to fix.

Most likely you have a defective pulley which is starting to fail..... at least thats what I think from my experience. My pulley just seized up one day and ate up the belt a little bit and thats it.... easy fix luckily.

..... or you can pretend Honda sold you a supercharged Civic without letting you know
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicguy1xxxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
HAHA, if honda made a supercharged version, they definitely didnt sell it to me. They sold me the non-supercharged, non-turbo, no-power version. Anyways, ill check out my pulleys, and try to get my alternator tested tomorrow. Anyone have any other suggestions, theyre appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

ACURAwerx is on a distinguished road
my civic does that sometimes too.. especially when i had my intake in.. someone said it might be a lose belt?