General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Cluster swap help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k3rnel is an unknown quantity at this point
Cluster swap help

I have a 2005 Civic "VP" coupe. From what I have researched, I was under the impression that I could put an instrument cluster from an HX/LX/EX into my car as long as it was '03 or higher. Well, I went to a local junkyard today and got one out of a 2004 EX coupe.

The car they pulled it out of had no windshield and the dash had been rained on extensively. The lens of the cluster had some signs of water being on it, and also the dash was buckled from the impact of the wreck this car was involved in. Well I took a chance and bought it anyhow, I tore it down and there appeared to be no water or physical damage on the inside from what I could tell.

I installed it and it would not power up whatsover. I talked to the junkyard and of course they claim it should work yada yada. They are willing to exchange it for me, but does anyone know if this cluster will work for sure or not in my car?
Old 03-03-2005
PC Tech / Autocrosser

PrecisnTec will become famous soon enoughPrecisnTec will become famous soon enough
I have an 04 VP, and if you do a little searching about gauge swapping, you will find out that the 03, 04 and 05 lx, ex and hx clusters will not work unless you rewire the whole harness. However... if you are wanting a cluster with a tachometer, you are wanting to get an 01/02 LX/EX cluster (preferrably an lx since no abs). Those clusters are the same style and wiring as the one that is in the 04 and 05 VP civics. From what I have gathered, they will install without a need to rewire or cut wires.

Hope that helps and hope I'm right. What I have spilled was collected knowledge form reading every article about the VP gauge swap.

Originally Posted by k3rnel
I have a 2005 Civic "VP" coupe. From what I have researched, I was under the impression that I could put an instrument cluster from an HX/LX/EX into my car as long as it was '03 or higher. Well, I went to a local junkyard today and got one out of a 2004 EX coupe.

The car they pulled it out of had no windshield and the dash had been rained on extensively. The lens of the cluster had some signs of water being on it, and also the dash was buckled from the impact of the wreck this car was involved in. Well I took a chance and bought it anyhow, I tore it down and there appeared to be no water or physical damage on the inside from what I could tell.

I installed it and it would not power up whatsover. I talked to the junkyard and of course they claim it should work yada yada. They are willing to exchange it for me, but does anyone know if this cluster will work for sure or not in my car?
Old 03-03-2005
mre
Registered!!

mre is an unknown quantity at this point
I have one for sale...
I'm willing to ship too... i dunno pricing on that but if ur interested... we can set something up.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nm0492...9237/my_photos
take a look lmk. its outta an 2002
Old 03-03-2005
Registered!!

Thanks, but I think I am going to attempt re-wiring this one first. If that doesn't work out, then Ill just sell this one on Ebay and buy an '01 or '02.
Old 03-04-2005
Registered!!

ARRRGHH, this has been an experience, for anyone who has a '04/05 Civic VP and wants to do a cluster swap, you have to use a cluster from an '01/02 You can use an '04/05 cluster, you will have to rewire the plugs though. The gas gauge didn't work in the first one I bought, so I went back to get a new one and I had to settle for an automatic Also, if anyone does a cluster swap, there is a company in California that will flash your odometer for $125. That is pretty reasonable in comparison to other companies, my local dealer referred me to them, the website is http://www.paspeedo.com Mods, we should probably make a sticky or take the relevant cluster swap threads and put it in the DIY section, or I'd be happy to write one up.
Old 03-05-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
ARRRGHH, this has been an experience, for anyone who has a '04/05 Civic VP and wants to do a cluster swap, you have to use a cluster from an '01/02 You can use an '04/05 cluster, you will have to rewire the plugs though. The gas gauge didn't work in the first one I bought, so I went back to get a new one and I had to settle for an automatic Also, if anyone does a cluster swap, there is a company in California that will flash your odometer for $125. That is pretty reasonable in comparison to other companies, my local dealer referred me to them, the website is http://www.paspeedo.com Mods, we should probably make a sticky or take the relevant cluster swap threads and put it in the DIY section, or I'd be happy to write one up.

That's known information. All you have to do is search.
Old 03-05-2005
Registered!!

cargeek68 is an unknown quantity at this point

follow this link courtesy of infinite012:

http://temp.dirtysamurai.com/gauge/convert.html

i was successful doing mine using this DIY. good luck
Old 03-05-2005
The Rice Machine

02civicricer is on a distinguished road
infinite012 got it to work...go to his site and check it out...u might have to do a few wire re-arranging on the 2 plugs. or pm him assuming if he's willing to help.

*oops...sorry didn't see the post right above me