General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

How hot does header get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
How hot does header get?

I need to paint some of my header with hi temp paint (1200) and was wondering if that would be good enough?
Old 02-11-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
I'm not sure, but I was driving last week up some moderately steep hills, going about 50-55, in 2nd (manual), for about 40 seconds at about 5500-6000 rpm.
At the top of the hill was my destination (Blockbuster) and I got out and it smelled hardcore, so i popped the hood and my header was glowing red.
I would have guessed it was over 1200 degrees, because i could feel it radiating from about 4 feet away and it was like 20 degrees outside.
Old 02-11-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Ya I've heard about that red hot glowing before. Let me guess...you have an LX? I think that's more of a problem on those for some reason.
Old 02-11-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
Headers are extremely hot. Even if you touch it slightly and take your hand off, your hand will burn.
Old 02-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by silver04
I'm not sure, but I was driving last week up some moderately steep hills, going about 50-55, in 2nd (manual), for about 40 seconds at about 5500-6000 rpm.
At the top of the hill was my destination (Blockbuster) and I got out and it smelled hardcore, so i popped the hood and my header was glowing red.
I would have guessed it was over 1200 degrees, because i could feel it radiating from about 4 feet away and it was like 20 degrees outside.
if your header was glowing red, then you have a restriction in it. That isnt normal. A header shouldnt be running to the point of glowing red.
Old 02-11-2005
Registered!!

DJ_NILOCIVIC03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

Glowing red???? I have an LX and I had the same problem......it was clogged up...thats why I got me some headers and cat-back!!!! I was loosing power!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
That vid of the boosted k20 in the civic, holy crap those headers looked like lava they were so red lol.
Old 02-11-2005
Premium Member

soo can anyone answer the question? lol
Old 02-11-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
I would say no you can't paint them period. I remember some guy tried to paint them red and they faded and turned orange because of the heat
Old 02-11-2005
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
Gearbox, 1200 isnt gonna cut it! You have to get flame proof coating,

http://www.truckcustomizers.com/prod...4VHT951.1.html
Old 02-11-2005
Premium Member

Thanks for the link. Hmm well I painted already inside the ports I widened. Is there any harm in just leaving it like that, or will the metal rust from the inside?
Old 02-11-2005
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
gearbox i hope you didnt trim to much off, metal expands when its hot so i hope you didnt go overboard or your gonna get cracks at the welds eventually. Post some pics im very cuirous!
Old 02-11-2005
Premium Member

Well the tubes were originally bigger than that piece they're welded to. So I trimmed around it a little, prolly not more than a couple mm. I didn't trim into the welds at all, just the top partto make it even with the tubes. Also the dremel slipped and that's what those lines are on the surface. They feel smooth so I'm hoping it'll still seal properly. You can see where I painted around the inner ring so the bare metal gets covered. I don't want the paint to turn to liquid or something tho.

Old 02-11-2005
Registered!!

jgoodfella1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
I need to paint some of my header with hi temp paint (1200) and was wondering if that would be good enough?

I think thermotec makes a spray coating for headers. It can be used on their wrap or on bare metal. Rated at 2000 degrees.
Here's the link!

http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/12001/12001.html
Old 02-11-2005
A.K.A BlackCar --- Not From Califorina!

KalliGarri is on a distinguished road
off topic but, does anyone remember that post when some painted their brake calipers AND DISKS red with regular spray piant?
Old 02-11-2005
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
who painted to their disks? wouldn't that affect the braking, and its gonna fade anyways once you use the brake.
Old 02-11-2005
A.K.A BlackCar --- Not From Califorina!

KalliGarri is on a distinguished road
yup.. everyone was making fun of his for doing it
Old 02-11-2005
SMX
Registered!!

SMX is on a distinguished road
Spray paint on a header is slightly better than using hair spray. If you're serious, get them ceramic coated. Otherwise plan on replacing your painted header every 2 to 4 years or so depending on weather and use.
Old 02-11-2005
Premium Member

Okay first off, the header is already coated from the company. Second, I'm talking about hi temp paint (not regular), and third, I'm only painting inside the ports where I dremeled. Can someone answer that?
Old 02-11-2005
Registered!!

CdKoInU is an unknown quantity at this point
will painting the heat guard (for stock EX header) make a difference
Old 02-11-2005
Registered!!

jgoodfella1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by CdKoInU
will painting the heat guard (for stock EX header) make a difference

Not sure, I wrapped my header with the heat wrap, coated that with the thermo tec spray, AND modifed my oem heat shield to fit over my dc header. It DEFINATELY cooled down the engine bay significantly. The header never cracked either.

CdkoInU, What's up by the way! How's the front sway bar I sold you working out?
Old 02-11-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DIZZLE
Gearbox, 1200 isnt gonna cut it!
yup.
Old 02-11-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KalliGarri
off topic but, does anyone remember that post when some painted their brake calipers AND DISKS red with regular spray piant?
that was a VW owner.........wasn't somebody on here.

very funny though
Old 02-11-2005
Premium Member

Hmm so I should try and get the paint off with alcohol? Will the spots where I ported get rusty?
Old 02-11-2005
Premium Member

Hmm so I should try and get the paint off with alcohol? Will the spots where I ported get rusty?

dont' worry, it will burn off
Old 02-11-2005
Premium Member

lol okay thanks
Old 02-11-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Ya I've heard about that red hot glowing before. Let me guess...you have an LX? I think that's more of a problem on those for some reason.
i have a vp, but same thing
Old 02-11-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Originally Posted by DJ_NILOCIVIC03
Glowing red???? I have an LX and I had the same problem......it was clogged up...thats why I got me some headers and cat-back!!!! I was loosing power!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by streetglower
if your header was glowing red, then you have a restriction in it. That isnt normal. A header shouldnt be running to the point of glowing red.
Hmm, perhaps ill check it out.
Old 02-11-2005
Turbos, Engines, Chassis and Suspension Tech

4drcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know of many headers that glow red during operation. Formula cars, high power turbo, etc, but a stock manifold should not glow. Gearbox, if you ported the inside of the header I honestly wouldn't worry about it rusting, as it will have a good coating of carbon about 30 seconds after you start it for the first time.
Old 02-12-2005
Premium Member

Thank you!

Quick Reply: How hot does header get?