General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

What is VTEC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
What is VTEC?

Everything you wanted to know, and maybe even some stuff you didnt.

VTEC and Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is VTECH?
-VTECH is a company that makes crappy phones. They have nothing to do with Honda.

Q: Oh, then what is VTEC?
-VTEC is Honda’s version of variable valve timing. It stands for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control. It is a way of varying the lift and duration of the intake/exhaust valves in the car’s engine to maximize air/fuel flow efficiency.

Q: Ok so when does my VTEC kick in?
-The “kicking in” you’re referring to is the hi-cam profile engaging, causing an increase in power starting at a specific RPM. Since VTEC incorporates both a low-cam and hi-cam profile, it is technically ALWAYS on. To say that your VTEC kicks in, is basically a universally accepted incorrect statement. The hi-cam profile engages at varying RPMs depending on the model of Honda you drive. The D17 civic engages its hi-cam around 4300rpm.

Q: Ok, so how does VTEC work then?
-VTEC works by varying valve lift timing and duration to compensate for the time daly and out of phase arrival of the air/fuel charge at the intake valves. Ideally, in lower rpm, the valves should remain open for a short period of time, and at higher rpm, should remain open longer. This is accomplished by using twice the number of cam lobes on each cam. One set is called the low-cam profile for lower engine rpm, and the other is the hi-cam profile for higher engine rpm. (this is also why cars with types of variable valve timing rev higher than cars without) At low engine speeds, the short lift and duration of the valves are ideal for maintaining the intake charge velocity required for good engine and throttle response. At higher engine speeds, the valves must open more and for longer in order to get air/fuel into the engine fast enough. Think of it like this. At high rpm if you were to still be using the low-cam (short duration) profile, the engine would literally be gasping to breathe because it’s not getting enough air/fuel, and this would cause it to make hardly any power. Likewise, at low rpm, having the valves open too much for too long (hi-cam profile) would cause the engine to idle very rough and be extremely inefficient since you are essentially over-breathing the engine.

Q: So what does VTEC do inside my engine?
-Well, as already stated, there are 2 cam profiles on each cam. The rocker arms (or cam followers as Honda calls them) move up and down with the cam lobe profile all the time. However, at the low-rpm profile, only half of the cam followers are actually engaging the valves on the engine. (obviously these are the low-cam profile cam followers) At higher engine speeds (hi-cam engagement point) a control unit opens a spool valve sending oil pressure to pins in the cam followers. The pins low the low-speed followers to the high-speed followers, allowing the high-speed followers to engage the valves. The low-speed followers do not need to be disengaged in any way since they are simply superceded by the hi-cam followers with their greater lift and longer duration.

Q: So why does everyone say VTEC is for getting good gas mileage?
-Fuel efficiency is only half of the benefit of VTEC. If you wanted to have a car without some type of variable valve timing system, but still wanted decent power, you’d have to have a combination of both low and hi cam profiles. This would mean less fuel efficiency at lower rpm, and nearing higher rpm, the engine begins gasping to breathe. However, the low-cam profile is not only used because it is most fuel efficient. It is also used because it delivers the most power in a smooth and efficient way. Believe it or not, if you take an engine with VTEC and compare it to one without, the car with VTEC will not only make more power, but will do so across the ENTIRE rpm range. So a 1.6 liter SOHC engine will not make as much power both in low and high rpm, as a 1.6 liter SOHC VTEC engine. Same goes for DOHC. A 1.6 liter DOHC will not make as much power in both low and high rpm as a 1.6 liter DOHC VTEC. So although people say “Hondas have no torque” they are in fact, sorely mistaken. Compared to engines of the same size and configuration (SOHC/DOHC), Hondas make MORE torque than engines without a variable valve system.

Q: So what is 3 stage VTEC?
-There are varying types of VTEC. DOHC VTEC has low/hi cam profiles for both the intake AND exhaust valves. SOHC VTEC (like the D17) has only one profile for exhaust valves, but has a low/hi cam profile for the intake valves. VTEC-E works the same as SOHC VTEC, but closes off an intake valve at low RPM to allow for much greater fuel efficiency. This VTEC truly is meant for efficiency and not power gain. 3 stage VTEC exists in only one engine, the D15B. This was a civic engine available in only Europe and Japan. Just like the VTEC-E at low rpm, one intake valve is closed and the engine runs off of a low-cam profile. At the second stage, a first pin is engaged by oil pressure, opening up the closed intake valve to allow for more power like a normal SOHC VTEC. At high rpm, a second pin engages, allowing all valves to be opened by a hi-cam profile again like the SOHC VTEC. So 3 stage VTEC is a combination of VTEC-E and SOHC VTEC.

Q: Why does my friend say his Integra GS-R has 3 stage VTEC then? And I swear I can hear his engine change twice as if it has two VTECs.
-You and your friend are confusing the dual stage intake manifold in the GS-R for another VTEC cam profile. The intake manifold on a GSR has 2 sets of intake runners. One set is for lower rpm breathing, the other set for higher rpm breathing. At a specific point (BEFORE hi-cam engagement) the intake manifold closes off the longer set of runners, allowing the short intake runners to breathe better and allow a more direct flow of air into the engine. If the car has an intake, this literally will sound like the hi-cam profile kicking in, and a slight increase in power results. But then the actual hi-cam profile kicks in, and the engine really screams, now using the shorter intake runners, as well as the hi-cam profile.

Q: So if VTEC is so great, why doesn’t everyone have some sort of VTEC-like system?
-There are a fair amount of manufacturers that DO have a variable valve timing system. BMW uses VANOS, Honda uses VTEC, Toyota uses VVTI, and even FORD (yes ford) uses variable cam timing. FORD’s first engine to do this is the 5.4 liter modular V8 triton engine that powers the Ford F150. Why is Ford using it? “The new 24-valve engine will be our first modular V-8 to use variable-cam timing. This design allows Ford engineers to optimize intake-and exhaust-valve actuation across the rev range.” So in other words, they’re using it for the same reason Honda and everyone else does. Keep that in mind next time some Ford guy is telling you how Honda’s VTEC is stupid. Ford is using the exact same technology in one of their own engines now. About time American car manufacturers caught on.

Q: When was VTEC first introduced?
-That depends on where you mean. Japan got VTEC in 1988 (model year 1989) by way of an Integra. The US first saw VTEC in 1990 by way of the NSX.
Old 02-02-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
what is i-Vtec? what is i-Dsi?

hint: VTC + VTEC makes i-Vtec
Old 02-02-2005
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by zen_master

doesnt the I stand for intelligent? as in intelligent variable timaing electronic lift control... intelligent similar to VVTI in toyota to stand for a continous variable value system?
Old 02-02-2005
xam
snooty patooty partier

xam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura about
sticky please
Old 02-02-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
I have to buy another set of font tires this week. When my Vtec kicks in my car starts to uncontrolably spin, its so bad that I have to wear a neck brace from the punch it gives...

Great Info S2001
Old 02-02-2005
Registered!!

MY01HX is an unknown quantity at this point
Good Job, this needs to be a sticky for noobees!
Old 02-02-2005
Registered!!

89civicracer is an unknown quantity at this point
ya great post im a new member but not a newbee to vtec's
nice work man
Old 02-02-2005
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
this should prolly be stickied
Old 02-02-2005
Registered!!

HorrorSkopes is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

sorta of like MIVEC, but I get baaaaadd gas (similar to the evo)
Old 02-02-2005
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
yeah i can sticky it
Old 02-02-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
its important to note that for best performance, especially on road courses or autocross, its best to have as smooth of a torque curve between the low and high cam profile as possible. Having a power spike right in the middle of your torque curve isnt a great thing (much to the dismay of those who want Vtec to "Kick in harder"). For proof, just ask an S2000 driver what happens when the High cam kicks in mid turn.... especially when you are allready at the cars traction limit in that turn. its quite an experiance, and I've seen many S2000's spin because of it.
Old 02-02-2005
O RLY

^^ definitely. that's why many S2000 owners go with the supercharger if they are serious about road racing their S2000. it allows them to smooth out their power delivery almost flawlessly.
Old 02-02-2005
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
Q. Is VTEC fast?

A. Ask this guy:

Old 02-02-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ojay
Q. Is VTEC fast?

A. Ask this guy:

Looks like a Mazda commercial

Last edited by QBoi; 02-02-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-02-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Red X
Old 02-02-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
old news
Old 02-02-2005
Registered!!

flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Not to hate on your thread, but what reference material do you have that shows VTEC kicks in for our cars at 4300 rpms?
Old 02-02-2005
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by flotsamm
Not to hate on your thread, but what reference material do you have that shows VTEC kicks in for our cars at 4300 rpms?

werd! Ours kicks in at different points depending on the vehicle load (Based off the MAP sensor) and the throttle postion sensor. If you hook up a VAFC2 it will tell you that vtec kicks in at 3250 i think it is, but at WOT it comes on at 4100-4400.
Old 02-02-2005
O RLY

WOT is what I'm referring to. and as stated in that other thread there is plenty to support that theory, and I'll have the greater minds that be with a definite answer to the riddle shortly.
Old 02-02-2005
Addicted To Boost

02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about
s2000 great info man thnx but i think some info is misleading, not every d17 has vtec, d17a2 and some other one so dont let anyone think their lx has vtec anyways vtec kicks in as soon as 2500 rpms and can engage as high as 3250 rpms in ex's i dont know about the lx hx and all the other ones, oh and for clarification it depends how much throttle you are using, if you have the pedal to the medal vtec will engage at 2500 and if you drive normally it will almost always engage by 3300 so thats it from me

EDIT ADDED BY S2000MAN01. This post is the correct reference for VTEC engagement on the Civic HX only, using VTEC-E lean burn technology.

Last edited by S2000man01; 02-02-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
If VTECH makes crappy phones then what about VTAHK?
Old 02-02-2005
O RLY

Originally Posted by 02boostlessCIV
s2000 great info man thnx but i think some info is misleading, not every d17 has vtec, d17a2 and some other one so dont let anyone think their lx has vtec anyways vtec kicks in as soon as 2500 rpms and can engage as high as 3250 rpms in ex's i dont know about the lx hx and all the other ones, oh and for clarification it depends how much throttle you are using, if you have the pedal to the medal vtec will engage at 2500 and if you drive normally it will almost always engage by 3300 so thats it from me
once this gets cleared up I will be deleting posts that have incorrect information. and obviously my reference was to the EX d17. I can edit that.
Old 02-02-2005
Unsalvageable

rEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trusted
Originally Posted by zen_master

Injection V-tec?
Old 02-02-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
I think you should ellaborate on what i-VTEC is also, because some people won't get that hint... and mention which vehicles have VTEC.
Old 02-03-2005
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
We needed one of these threads.

There were so many VTEC posts, with inconsistent information.
Old 02-03-2005
Registered!!

03AzNsIlvaSeDaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nindoo
We needed one of these threads.

There were so many VTEC posts, with inconsistent information.
Ya exactly....Nice post s2000man
Old 03-24-2005

profuse007 is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry to get off topic here but does BMW infinite variable valve timing more efficient than the original v-tec?