General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Ported/Polished/Decked head is on. Now whats up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Ported/Polished/Decked head is on. Now whats up?

OK so the new head is on. When I started it the RPM's went right up to 2K after running for about 2 minutes the RPM's started going up and down over and over again. There's a mechanical noise that I can hear too which spooks me out. I didn't drain fluids before I pulled it, but I drained all the oil and flushed it with a quart before I ever even started it. One belt squeals but thats and easy fix. I Zip tied the cam gear to the belt before I ever even pulled the head off so timing should be right on. I know about the Idle learn procedure but the car was off the battery for 12 hours so I'd imagine I don't need to pull the ECU fuse. Any suggestions as to the noise and and the idle? I set all the valves before I put the head on (I'll do it again after it warms up) and I'll flush the anti freeze when it heats up enough to open the thermostat.
Old 12-18-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
Did you follow the helms manual when changing the head? There seems to be a lot of folks on here who change stuff around without reading the proper way to do things....And end up with bad results....
Old 12-18-2004
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Actually a buddy works at Tempe Honda here in AZ and I "borrowed" the service manual long enough to copy every page in the "cylinder head" chapter. So yes, everything (including torque sequence and ft lbs) is correct
Old 12-18-2004
Registered!!

2k2civic should not be trusted2k2civic should not be trusted
What exactly does this mechanical noise sound like?
Old 12-18-2004
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
If the idle is fluctuating than it sounds like a vacuum leak. Double check all of your hoses first....That's usually what causes it. Check gaskets next - use something called "snoop" to see if you can find any leaks.
Old 12-18-2004
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Didnt I read that your supposed to use a new head gasket after removing the head? Im not sure though?
Old 12-18-2004
Premium Member

I did order a new head gasket and Intake gasket. The new head had the vtec solonoid on it already so I didn't need a new gasket or o-ring

The noise sounds like a knock. Not very loud. I'm sure it can't be bottom end. Even if some antifreeze got in the oil galleries I flushed everything before I started the car.

Your can zip tie the cam gear to belt and pull it back up onto the cam when you reinstall it.

Good call on the vaccum I'll check it out.

I tightened the valves but I forgot to torque them. The car has only run collectively for 3 minutes so I'll do it before I start it again.
Old 12-18-2004
Wicked Pissah Admin

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
Is it valve tap?
Old 12-18-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Mine had a bunch of problems just little things at first. Over time most noises and problems will go away. Just make sure all the little vacuum hoses are securely attached. Now the only thing on mine is rough idle, but that's cause the ports are too big.
Old 12-19-2004
Premium Member

It sounded too slow to be a valve tap. It runs great otherwise. Only bad part was that I finished at 1 AM and keep in mind I have a header to a test pipe to an APC muffler that doesn't muffle ****. All 2.5" piping so it was LOUD!
Old 12-19-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Put the stock exhaust back on. Even that will make some noise after the head work
Old 12-19-2004
Premium Member

Originally Posted by gearbox
Put the stock exhaust back on. Even that will make some noise after the head work

Stock is too restrictive. Kinda defeats the purpose of letting it breathe better. I'll deal with a rough idle without backpressure.
Old 12-19-2004
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
so did i read we didnt use a new gasket in the firstplace on the head?
Old 12-19-2004
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Rufus
I did order a new head gasket and Intake gasket.
Trust me I wouldn't swap out a head without a new gasket.

Found 2 vacuum lines that were unplugged. Had to get a new power str. belt. Re checked valves and everything runs great. Just raced a early 90's prelude and hung side by side. I think he had more top end cuz he started to pull at about 80. Not much though.
Old 12-19-2004
Registered!!

BTW - who did your work and how much did you pay? Its dyno time!!
Old 12-19-2004
Premium Member

I bet your home ported head will dyno higher than dh.
Old 12-19-2004
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
lol gearbox
Old 12-20-2004
Premium Member

Yeah but I think I'm burning oil and my Vtec system malfunction CEL code keeps coming on.
Old 12-20-2004
Premium Member

Well I know it's too late, but you did clean the head after porting right? Also replace all 3 gaskets IM, exhaust, head? Don't know why that would be happening otherwise.
Old 12-20-2004
Premium Member

Yeah, did it all. I reused the exhaust though. No need to replace it.
Old 12-21-2004
Premium Member

Okay well this prolly doesn't matter, but did you port match the header? If not, reversion of exhaust gases can occur. Don't think it triggers a cel tho.
Old 12-21-2004
Premium Member

Header actually came with the exact port sizes of the holes in the gasket. Didn't need to open it up at all.