General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004
And Pimp I got the Juice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marcus will become famous soon enoughMarcus will become famous soon enough
Shifter

Hey all, I have a question that you all could help me with. I own a Automatic, and I'm wondering if I could cut the shift rod, and make is shorter to the console.But if I could do that, I would try to find another Shifter to up grade other than the stock one. I think a Chrome one or a Silver one would be good, becuase i don't wanna screw up my car theme. If I could get some imput on this it would be greatly appricated.
Old 12-01-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
you wanna make the shifter shorter? like a short shifter? WTF?!?! in a AUTO?
Old 12-01-2004
small cities make me poop my pants

Draven2 is a jewel in the roughDraven2 is a jewel in the roughDraven2 is a jewel in the rough
What the hell are you thinking? There's no point.
Old 12-01-2004
Go Team Venture!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
no im with him on wanting it to be shorter (not "short shifter" but a shorter shifter arm).. i hate that its so friggin long.. you dont use it unless yer parking.. but its in the way if yer trying to use the cup holders.. and it just looks pretty stupid..

there has to be a way to do it.. you just need to be able to press that lil button somehow..
Old 12-01-2004

Draven2 is a jewel in the roughDraven2 is a jewel in the roughDraven2 is a jewel in the rough
I would have to say that anything plugged into the cigarette lighter gets in the way of the cup holders, not the shifter. If anything, the shifter is at perfect height if you like to "manual shift" while you've got your arm on the armrest.
Old 12-01-2004

Somebody drop me some points, PLEASE!!!!
Old 12-01-2004
Go Team Venture!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
anything other than a cell phone charger should not be pluged in.. wire that **** or else it looks retarded..
Old 12-01-2004

Originally Posted by againifall
anything other than a cell phone charger should not be pluged in.. wire that **** or else it looks retarded..
Well that's pretty much common sense. The cigarette charger is what I was referring to, but it pretty much goes for anything plugged in there.
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
simple answer no it cant be done. and yes i know your talking about the rod its self not the shifting part. should of goten a stick. :P
Old 12-01-2004

Originally Posted by dj02
simple answer no it cant be done. and yes i know your talking about the rod its self not the shifting part. should of goten a stick. :P
Agreed, Hell I wish I had gotten a stick.
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light

Sure it can be done, simply take apart the console and cut the BOTTOM of the shifter arm. I have a stick and haven't looked into an auto civic, but there all the same, Just be careful about the wire in the arm, and you will need to shorten that up to to get some tension back on.

It can be done
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
ha! IF IT IS even posible to do, your going to have to do a whole lot more fabbing than that.
a auto rod is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy diffrent than a stick rod.

and befor you trow up your bs flag again. here is both shifters so u can see how there nowere near the same.

auto

stick

Last edited by dj02; 12-01-2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2004
Banned

bgoetz is an unknown quantity at this point
there is no rod it is plastic. I have a spare from a buddys car that I could try it with and if it works I will sell it to you. Don't think it will though lol.
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

what is plastic? the cover >see auto layout fig#7< or what's under that is plastic? i know the cover is.
Old 12-01-2004
Banned

what is plastic? the cover >see auto layout fig#7< or what's under that is plastic? i know the cover is.
It is all plastic I think. I will go check really quick
Old 12-01-2004
Banned

by god there is a metal rod that goes through th middle!! The only thing not made out of plastic on the whole domn thing. lol I actually think that it could be done. The only thing that would be hard would be doing it in such a way that would reproduce the movement when you push in the button. I may try it and then sell the shifter
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

Mike4831 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Marcus
I own a Automatic

I am sorry.
Old 12-02-2004
Registered!!

4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light
ha! IF IT IS even posible to do, your going to have to do a whole lot more fabbing than that.
a auto rod is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy diffrent than a stick rod.

and befor you trow up your bs flag again. here is both shifters so u can see how there nowere near the same.

auto

stick

That’s not that much different than any other automatic.
1. Piece number seven has to be cut at the bottom, and still be fit nicely into piece 11
2. The rod that screw #8 is above has to be detached and cut at the bottom (the same distance that Piece #7 was cut, so that the two screws #17 will still go in, to hold your cut up piece #7)
3. The unknown portion is whether the Bottom of the Metal rod will firmly reattach to the base console (It looks like there may be a wingnut holding it in) Worse case, you can cut a portion of the rod out of the middle, below where the two screws go in, and then you would have to weld it, (epoxy may work)
4. And lastly, some how the tension on the shifter button has to be transferred down the metal rod. (A lot of cars have a metal wire for this) However it looks as there may be a smaller metal rod inside the metal rod. Maybe you push down on this, to change gears?? That’s my best guess. If that were the case, then cutting the top of this smaller rod should work better, Providing it does not have a special fitting at the top.

So here is my big BS flag again

I'm not saying it'll be easy, cheap, or even worth it, I'm just saying it can be done!

But you get points for the Nice Pictures, where'd you get em ?
Old 12-02-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 4jacks

So here is my big BS flag again

I'm not saying it'll be easy, cheap, or even worth it, I'm just saying it can be done!

But you get points for the Nice Pictures, where'd you get em ?

anything can be done with the right amount of money.

my point is that it would take to much time, to much money. to make the rod shorter cuzz it get in the way of the cig lighter. i think u can get a aftermarket auto shifter *** that may shorten the outer part. to give you more room, i dont know and dont really care i have a stick. :P

got the pics from majstechonda.com >sp?<
Old 12-02-2004
Banned

anything can be done with the right amount of money.

my point is that it would take to much time, to much money. to make the rod shorter cuzz it get in the way of the cig lighter. i think u can get a aftermarket auto shifter *** that may shorten the outer part. to give you more room, i dont know and dont really care i have a stick. :P

got the pics from majstechonda.com >sp?<
Nope, it will be simple here is how you could do it and even make your auto shifter look like a manual.
1) take off the shifter handle with by losening the two screws
2) you will find a shaft similar to that of a manual with a smaller shaft going through the center. Remove the plastic tip off of the smaller shaft.
3)get a tap and dye kit and thread the shaft to a desired size.
get a shift boot and a shift *** that will fit the thread (razo works good due to the versitility)fix the shift boot to the point were you are satisfied with the look. Then screw on the shifter.

What you will have is a auto shifter that looks like a manual and it will be about 3" shorter due to the difference in the shifters. To engage and disengage from P R ect. You will push down on the shifter. You will no longer beable to look down and veiw what gear you are in, but it should be displayed on your dash.
Note: This is just an idea I have not actually done this. Infact I have a stick it should work though
Old 12-02-2004
Registered!!

i think u can get a aftermarket auto shifter *** that may shorten the outer part. to give you more room, i dont know and dont really care i have a stick. :P
Originally Posted by bgoetz
What you will have is a auto shifter that looks like a manual and it will be about 3" shorter due to the difference in the shifters. To engage and disengage from P R ect. You will push down on the shifter. You will no longer beable to look down and veiw what gear you are in, but it should be displayed on your dash.
Note: This is just an idea I have not actually done this. Infact I have a stick it should work though
this has been done. a couple of peope i know have this all you need is a 5sp center console and a aftermarket shifter *** for a auto.
Old 12-02-2004
Banned

this has been done. a couple of peope i know have this all you need is a 5sp center console and a aftermarket shifter *** for a auto.
I am shure that you could fab your auto center console with no problem
Old 12-02-2004
Registered!!

fuzzylogic426 is an unknown quantity at this point
yes you can. i did it, but now that i look back on it, i think that it was a waste of money. i think it cost me 50 bux. plus the 50 i spent on my Spoon shiftknob. wow, i could've used that for Grey's endlinks (btw..i need those right now. lol)
Old 12-02-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I am shure that you could fab your auto center console with no problem

no need to fab a new one

ok for thoes that want to shorten your shifter to give you more room here is what you need.

The prices for this is from majsteichonda.com, you can go to your local junkyard and pick one for cheaper im sure.

part# 555705 $ 85.81 or 555708 $69.61 depending on the color you have.
Illustration No. 015

you can go to ebay or your local auto shop and get a universal auto shift **** I found this one on ebay for 8.00
universal auto shift ****

>rember if you do this you wont be able to see what gear your in from your console. only from your gage cluster<

happy modding.

Last edited by dj02; 12-03-2004 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

ROFL...
Why do we have nine people with manual transmissions, brainstorming on the best way to modify the automatic shifter arm.
I have a stick shift also.
Just thought that was funny.
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

ROFL...
Why do we have nine people with manual transmissions, brainstorming on the best way to modify the automatic shifter arm.

yes that is quite funny
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

Bmkarr is an unknown quantity at this point
i tried to go to the website you threw up and it wasnt there
is that the full url or is there more to it, i couldnt even find a majestic honda in yahoo
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Bmkarr
i tried to go to the website you threw up and it wasnt there
is that the full url or is there more to it, i couldnt even find a majestic honda in yahoo
here you go.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

fix above as well.

Last edited by dj02; 12-03-2004 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

^Great Link, wish I had that b4 I bought my arm rest
Old 12-03-2004
Banned

ROFL...
Ahhh you fvcker you owe me a beer I just laughed so hard I spit half of mine out. What the hell am I doing

Quick Reply: Shifter