General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

miss shift

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
z00mX is an unknown quantity at this point
miss shift

i was going around 84 mph and pulled it to 4th but accidently slipped into second and it choke the crap out of my car. pass 8 1/2 redline. after that my car started sounding wierd like a mustang sound through the exhaust than engine light started blinking and came on. then i came to a stop and my car started shaking. revs it up than its fine. this happened last friday and til now my car still sounds a little like that and kinda shaky. anyone know what i could of messed up?
Old 10-27-2004
Registered!!

skarteez is an unknown quantity at this point
bent valves? bent rods? a number of things couldve happened, but whatever happened, SOME Dammage was done. that sux! hope everything gets sorted out!
Old 10-27-2004
Registered!!

would the warranty cover it? cause i just got the car like 5 months ago. still got 6 years or 100,000 miles warranty on it.
Old 10-27-2004
Registered!!

4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by z00mX
No Mr. Honda Dealer Man, I don't have any clue what could have Cuased so Much Damage.
Wear a tie and part you hair in the middle
Old 10-27-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Ummm yeah, the valves and the piston got a little too friendly with one another. Chances are, the valves left an impression in the piston and the piston bent the valves.
In otherwords your engine is ****ed.
The valve springs don't have enough force to close the valvetrain quick enough at that speed.
Honda is going to scan your computer, figure out pretty quickly it threw an over-rev code, then charge you to rebuild the motor.
Old 10-27-2004
Registered!!

aww shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht
Old 10-27-2004
Registered!!

anyone know whats the estimate on the pistons and valve value?
Old 10-27-2004
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
time for a k20 swap :P
Old 10-27-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Take it in anyways and see what happens. Play dumb, it's all you can do now, because obviously damage is done. Try and get the check engine code erased at an auto place if they have an odbII reader. Then just tow it to Honda and say the car died one night when I was driving.
Old 10-27-2004
Registered!!

ohiojosh78 can only hope to improve
even better get the code cleared then tell them that you let a freind borrow it. That way you can really say you have no idea when they start asking you.
Old 10-27-2004
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gearbox
Take it in anyways and see what happens. Play dumb, it's all you can do now, because obviously damage is done. Try and get the check engine code erased at an auto place if they have an odbII reader. Then just tow it to Honda and say the car died one night when I was driving.
good idea, play dumb and you will be surprised.
Old 10-27-2004
deploy,engage,destroy.. to fail is not an option

thrash_273 is an unknown quantity at this point
like my friends situation, they race on track. acc.shift from 3rd to 2nd running like 80. he got a gt-s celica. headlock, transmission... so far...
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

02CIVYEX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i did that racing some dumbass saturn i beat by 2-4 car lengths already and he wnted a rematch so we raced and like what you did i did and car turned off didn't want to turn it was choking i took it to the dealership and they looked at it and i had 13 valves bent they charged me 375 to tear it down to find the problem cause it wasn't a mechanical break down + another 1500 to fix it but i didn't let them fix i just bought the valves and fixed my self for about 700
Old 10-28-2004
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
don't tell them about the friend one that's dumb cuz then there gunna be like well ur friend has to pay for it

You have to learn how to spell ohio??
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light
Can they clear/erase those codes ???
That would be good
Old 10-28-2004

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
mine did that for a week after i missed a shift. im pretty sure the codes your going to get are for misfire in cyln. 1,2,3,4 and random misfire. Check your plugs to see if the fouled out and then see what happenes.
Old 10-28-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Yes they can. That way if you erase the high rev code, then the light would come back on for the other broken valves or pistons problem (assuming you can drive it). Then take it in and say something happened when I was driving...don't know what?
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

good idea gearbox
but i dont know any place around the houston area taht does the ecu erase.

and yeah hyaboost ill check the spark plugs right after work.

btw i reset the ecu already so the engine light is off.

Last edited by z00mX; 10-28-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2004
Premium Member

Advance auto parts does for sure. But all you need is that expensive odbII reader that you plug to the ecu. Then it lets you clear codes and stuff. Most places that have one will do it for free.
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

thanx for the help everybody hopefully i can pull this thru
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

mradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trusted
i did the same exact thing (missed shift) but my motor seems to run the same way it did before. but it scared the f!!k out of me when i saw the rpm's sink into the 9,000 range!
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mradam85
i did the same exact thing (missed shift) but my motor seems to run the same way it did before. but it scared the f!!k out of me when i saw the rpm's sink into the 9,000 range!

Don't try this at home, but if your revs just slip up to 7-8K and you notice it quickly and you put it back in nuetral, theres going to be a lot less likelyhood of damage, it kinda sounded like he drove for a min at 8K
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

Advance auto parts does for sure. But all you need is that expensive odbII reader that you plug to the ecu. Then it lets you clear codes and stuff. Most places that have one will do it for free.

Gear, do you have an OBDII reader, how much are they, They can read codes from all newer cars right? If I get one, where do I get all the codes for all the different cars out there?? Or are all the Codes Universal? ? Is there an Economical version ???
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

right when it happened to me i stepped on the clutch. happened for about a sec.
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by z00mX
right when it happened to me i stepped on the clutch. happened for about a sec.
Well, hopefully the damage isn't extentsive, maybe just one bent piston. If you can get that Code cleared, I think your in for being under Warranty. Just be nice and say you don't know what happen. Also, no offense, but if your young, bring your Dad with you, A lot of people will assume your some punk who's abusing your car.

Which you obviously are ..

j/k
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

i took my car to the dealer ship 2 times already for other warranty parts.
Old 10-29-2004
Registered!!

mradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trusted
i pushed the clutch in imeadiatly too. but the tach went so far it was passed the red "zone". my car still runs the same as it did before. i guess im just really lucky or something.
Old 10-29-2004
Registered!!

u guys didn't have you foot on the gas did ya ??
Old 10-29-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 4jacks
u guys didn't have you foot on the gas did ya ??
i was about to floor it till i saw the tach get buried! i will never forget that milla-second that my car hit 9,000+ rpms. god that scared me! you should hear our little 1.7's at that speed, it's pretty damn crazy!
Old 10-29-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
I dont mean to be an *** or anything, but how can someone mistakenly downshift to 4th in a Civic? I would understand if it's like Miata, S2000 style, but on a Civic without a short shifter.......... hmm.......

Quick Reply: miss shift