General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

battery dies....need help solve this problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about
battery dies....need help solve this problem

ok my car is 03 (bought in october)

then i got a new headunit and oem keyless/alarm....i did all the installation, everywhen smooth. i dont have a system in my car.

1 day i left my head light on then it totally drained my battery....ok, so i just recharged it at autozone np. then about 1-2 month later it died again w/o notice...my car would start strong and all, andjust sudden wouldn't start.

so ok i took it honda....and they replaced it with another battery (feb) and said the battery is bad. ok sweet the problem is fixed.

NOT!

with the new battery about 3 months (may) later it died AGAIN w/o notice. i drove to the store....then i came out and the car wouldn't start. so im like "DAMN, not again"....then i took it autozone again, and had them check out the battery...and its a good bettery...everything is good.
then i asked why would this happen....autozone ppl said....their might be a drain somewhere in the system. so ok....didnt bother w/ that

and now (august 17)...it died again w/o notice.....drove home from the beach and turned off the car to get changed really quick (late to work)....came out...the damn thing wouldn't start!!!

so damn its pissing me off!!!! so maybe there is a drain somewhere. so how would i go about this?
or take it to honda to have it look at?

HELP me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 08-18-2004
Registered!!

Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
on your alarm install was it just a plugin DIY kit or did you have to splice and tap into wires? Same with your deck. does your radio shut off when you take the key out? hopefully all that checks out we wont know till you reply.

Other than that its most likely its your alternator/charging system.
if your alternator is goes bad then your battery is bad also. You are suposed to change them both at the same time. Modern Alternators have internal regulators, which controls the output of electricty. Lets say the regulator breaks some how age/bad part/act of got and the alternator doenst know when to stop putting out current and over charges the battery which kills cells in the battery causing it not to be abe to hold the proper apmerage. Same would hapen the other way around if the battery has a bad cell age ect. it would thow the alternator out of wack in turn killin it.

If you just change out one part then its only a tempary fix until the new part give out rather sooner than later.
Old 08-18-2004
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about
yea keyless/alarm was all plug and play....and hu was plug and play too....no splicing of anykind.

on my alternator i do have an AEM pully....and i think that is the problem. aem pully is lighter so it wouldnt charge enough i guess.
Old 08-18-2004
SMX
Registered!!

SMX is on a distinguished road
Your pulley is probably smaller than stock and doesn't spin the alternator as fast. I'd put the stock back on and see if your problem goes away.

Before you do that though, get a volt meter and rev the motor to 1500 rpm and check battery voltage. Should be 14 or so. If not, your alternator isn't charging.
Old 08-18-2004
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
yeah that and the connection, maybe there is a loose wire in the charging system.

You can always have honda hook it up and see if you get any trouble codes.