General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

coilovers dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KOPSEAL is an unknown quantity at this point
coilovers dangerous?

I was reading an article the other day about coilovers and the way it was worded it made coilover seem dangerous. It explained the 2 typed of coilovers and the ones most people go with-i.e.300$ coilovers are very unstable and can cause dangerous handling conditions if your car is not centered right. So I am wandering, because I wanna drop my civic in december and I am scared now becaus I don't wanna blow out my handling all over some cheap coilovers and also will coilovers void a warranty? I would think so but I may be wrong. Alright thanks for any information you can give
Old 11-25-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
0100010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I guess improperly adjusted coil overs could cause your ride to sit unevenly, therby causing different "weight" in each corner, but as long as you keep them adjusted to about the same height, then you shouldn't have any problems. I personally have a 2 samll wood "templates", when I adjust my coil overs, I make each rear coil heght match, with the template, and each front with the other template. All I do is keep teh distance from the bottom of the spring perch the same from the bottom of the stock spring perch.

If anything, coil overs I think would make you car more stable, as you are lowering the center of gravity of the vehicle. And "cheap" 300 dollar coil overs, the only type of coil overs that are more expensive are ones that are mated with a new strut already. So it's either spend 300 on the coil overs by themselves, and then buy new struts on your own later, if your stock ones blow, or if you want them, or buy a whole set up front, either way, you still spend about 600-1000 dollars.