General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

needle question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpeedRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
needle question

my question is how do you take them off without breaking anything? whats holds them on? do i just pull? is there a special tool i have to use? How do i get them back on?? just push?? and please don't respond with "don't do it, you'll mess it up" i have to do it. i have a DX and none of the layovers are for the DX. i figured out what makes the lights orange, so i'm wanting to do in and change them to red or maybe yellow. i'll probaly do both and go from there.
Old 11-13-2001
Registered!!

Slickwillie is an unknown quantity at this point
don't take them off, you should be able to put the guages on without taking them off. I have the AC Reverse indiglo's and at first I thought that I had to take the needles off to get them to fit, but after playing with it for about 30 mins I got them on without taking the needles off. I don't know what kind of guages you bought, but you shouldn't need to take off the needle. I'v heard that it causes way too much pain and that it really messes crap up.

aaron
Old 11-13-2001
Registered!!

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] once again let me say, i HAVE to take them off. I did NOT buy a set of gauges. i know what makes the lights orange, its a hard film material behind it. i am taking them off to replace it with a piece of red film. so let me re-phrase my question since i didn't say it right the first time. Can i just pull them off?? Do i need a special tool for this?? do i just push them back on?? or will pulling them off make it so i CAN'T put them back on. Maybe somone who has removed them and put them back on could help out here.
Old 11-13-2001
Registered!!

weber is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I'd really like to know why you'd have to take them off, but anyway... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Umm, what you need to do, is to start your car, and let it run for ~10 minutes. You basically want it to warm up.

Once warm, take a digital picture, or draw where the needle's position is.

Once you do this, turn off your car.

Take your kitchen fork, and pry off the needle at the base. Be careful, gentle, and nice and sweet to the gauges. GIve them some sweet-lovin' and they'll love you back.

Do what you need to do.

Start car & let run for ~10 minutes.

Re-apply needles per drawing (or better yet) the digital picture.

Pray that you didn't mess it up.

I've never done it, so I do't know how bad it will be, just be careful, and I can't imagine that it'd be too difficult
Old 11-13-2001
SuperMODrizd
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
I just want to know exactly where that film is that makes the stuff orange, i hate it and want it gone, so when u figure out how do it, tell how to get the film out too
Old 11-13-2001
Registered!!

gOtRiCe01Lx is an unknown quantity at this point
yo dude whats up alrighty my friend has a 95 4 dr civic and he pulled off his needles and it was hard to do he had to take a flat headscrew driver and pry it off and the when he marked it where it layed with a pencil he put it back on the same exact spot and they were still messed up so he had to take it in and pay like 85 dollars to get them re centered to work right so my advie is not to take them off just spend 55 dollars and but the ac reverse indiglos at your local performance shop no one wants you to mess up your ca!!!!!!!!!!!!

peace out
gOtRiCe01Lx[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-13-2001
Registered!!

Weber, thank you. the reason i need to take them off is because they(anyone) do not make gauges for the DX all of the gauges (that i found) were for the EX LX HX but not one carries anything for the DX (no tach). so i figured out how to make the lights in the middle part where the temp. fan. defroster stuff is red. i took out the orange film and replaced it with red. it looks tight, but i havn't been able to do it to the guage cluster. so i'm guessing its the same once i get the front of it off. i tryed to come in from the back and i couldn't get to it. so i'm just hopeign this works. but thats why i have to take them off. so thanks for your help. i'll let yu know how it turns out.