General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

this is the funniest thing ive ever done...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Holy heat soak
Why? It's plastic. My K&N FIPK II is plastic and it's cool to the touch after driving for hours. The metal ones get so hot that you can't touch them in just a few minutes.
Old 05-20-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by skarteez
bahahahahha i laugh at myself for even putting this in my car. i spent a total of $7 including the filter.
Where'd you get a filter for that cheap?
Old 05-20-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
Forget the piping. Just put the filter on top of the intake hole on your engine, and then create a custom hole in your hood to make room for it.
Old 05-20-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by armieo
Forget the piping. Just put the filter on top of the intake hole on your engine, and then create a custom hole in your hood to make room for it.

ROFLMAO...now THAT sounds like an idea!!! RAM AIR!!! lol
Old 05-20-2004
Registered!!

skarteez is an unknown quantity at this point
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA good by torque (not that we had any to bein with )

oh yeah, i got $10 gift certificate for circuit city at hot import nights. the filter was $13 so i paid a $3 difference.
Old 05-21-2004
Banned by Admin

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
Originally Posted by armieo

Someone did that a long time ago, they just took their hood off and drove like that for a couple miles to see how it did. I don't remember the results.
Old 05-21-2004
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
how heavy is this? last time i held an abs pipe it was pretty heavy...is this something different than what im thinking of? this isnt the plumbing type of pipe is it??? lol

im sure that its heat resistant, although id still worry about it melting near the engine. i looked on the ABS site and it said it operates at temperatures between -40 F and + 180 F...i think the motor gets a little hotter than that.

good job tho.

Last edited by PbFoot; 05-21-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2004
Registered!!

eh its fine. ive got some thermal wrap on it. it weighs real light. like lighter than the stock airbox w/ filter.
Old 05-22-2004
Registered!!

Azizst is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool job Skarteez, congrats. But i gotta question, how did you fit your system to the intake? By silicone? Or just squeezin it??
Old 05-22-2004
Registered!!

the connection between the pipe and the TB is via a rubber clamp. its just clamped on real tight

as for everything else, the rubber elbow from the TB goes to 2in abs tube, which is jammed into a 2in abs elbow which then has another 2in tube sticking out of it into a 2-3in adapter then 3 intubing then a 3 in plastic elbow then to a 3-2in rubber adapter then the filter.

ive got a quick question for everyone tho...

would relocating the stock box to like where the resonator is and connecting an opening with tubing do anything?

Last edited by skarteez; 05-22-2004 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2004
Registered!!

Ok
Relocating the stok resonator box would be a unnecessary movement i guess. The resonator will slow down the rate of the air taken in, because of its geometrical shape. Why do you have a idea like that? Is the sound too loud?
Old 05-22-2004
Registered!!

nononono i meant the stock airbox. you know the place where the resonator sits above the transmission? i was thinking of relocating the stock airbox (the box over the TB) to that location. the sound of JUST the airbox w/o the resonator was sweet, but it was sucking it real hot air and there was no piping so it like hinders the airflow/airvelocity or something like that.

SOOOOO

i had a thought of moving the AIRBOX to the location right above the transmissioon to where the resonator was. then connect the airinlet to the throttle body with the same kind of tubing (cept with 2in ends to fit theair inlet inthe box) to the TB. so now, we have a closed filter element with a smaller inlet hole (for vacumm pressure er somethin, ask boilermaker) which gives better low-midrange torque AND there is no big ol resonaotr in the way of the airflow. Also the tubing would help in the airvelocity (i think)....

eh?

or is the air inlets too small to begin with? if i did this i would replace the crap paper filter in the stock airbox with somethin from K&N as zendude recommended.
Old 05-22-2004
Registered!!

Hmm interesting idea. But why not? Well you know but i also advice you again, you definately should place a crap paper filter in the box.
And by the way, how do you manage to mount the airbox to the tube coming from TB ? Will the box stay on its side? I couldn't imagine..
Old 05-22-2004
Registered!!

yeah ill be running a filter in the box, just will replace it whenever i can. ill have to probably ghetto-rig some sort of bracket or something out of metal strips...

the pipe wont be the only thing holding the box up. hehe the thing is kinda heavy
Old 05-23-2004
Registered!!

So good luck with your work, i'm waiting for the new pics of it
Old 05-23-2004
Registered!!

eh it wont work (relocating stock box) wihtout taking out the battery. that thing is just in the way. after i get a kit il lprobably just use a B18 airbox (like boilermaker) or try and find an RSX or Accord or Legend box or somethin....
Old 05-23-2004
Registered!!

Ah bad luck... Don't give up, i see the flash on your eyes
Old 05-24-2004
Hail to the king baby

kjgracing will become famous soon enoughkjgracing will become famous soon enough
oh thanks there modify!!!

home depot is your friend. the materials list from the throttle body to the filter is:

2in rubber elbow with pvc pipe clams
tiny section of 2in ABS plastic tube
20degree ABS plastic bend
small length 2in ABS plastic tube
45degree ABS plastic bend
small section 2in ABS plastic tube
2in to 3in rubber PVC plastic clamp adapter
cheap-*** filter

ill make a DIY probably tommarow!!!

What no duct tape?
Old 05-24-2004
Registered!!

BAHAHA nope no duct tape. it all holds together REAL tight. its hard to take them apart... liokeyou gotta stand on one part and pull up.
Old 05-24-2004
Registered!!

one more question, i know that an enclosed filter element (like our civics and especially the tegs with their cylindrical filter in a box with a medium sized air inlet hole) increases vacumm pressure (?) and tehrefore, increases flow velocity and gives better torque down low and in the mids. you think building a box, lets say out of sheet metal or a trashcan (IVE SEEN IT BEFORE ON A BMW 540i) and seal it around the cone filter and have an inlet hole, would it work? how ghetoo can i get....
Old 05-30-2004
Registered!!

If you support the above system you talk about, with clean and cold air, it can work. A cut of the hood may help.. Will you try that??
Old 05-30-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
BAHAHAHAHA

I LOVE it.... But i can beat that.

My roommate has an 87 Toyota Celica, with a cold air intake made out of WHITE PVC pipe, about 3 inch diameter. He freaking cut some of his bumper off. He doesn't have a filter, just put like one of those big ends you see about a 5 inch dimaeter ont he end and a chicken wire grille. As soon as he gets his celica down here pics are going up... lol he's gotta see this. Great minds think alike
Old 05-30-2004
Registered!!

BAHAHAHAHA wow that kicks my toob out the window.
Old 05-30-2004
Registered!!

jajell is an unknown quantity at this point
At least you guys aren't flaming this guy for trying something different. I have been thinking of different things to try for while and I had two different ideas.

First I thought to remove the resonator and run a tube from the airbox to the stock inlet location and have a second tube running up from the bottom of the car like a CAI and meeting at a Y junction before the airbox. Hey two air inlets are better than one.

Second with all this crap about removing the resonator being so bad perhaps I could do the same setup but leave the resonator and just add a cold air inlet at the base of the resonator box and again run a tube to the CAI location.

With a new K&N panel filter it should work out pretty well. Or even use an airbox out of another setup so a cone filter could be used.

I can't believe you guys think that much R&D is put into these intakes. I am sure AEM and INJEN just threw stuff together to get it out first so everyone would jump on it and if I remember correctly a lot of people here did.
Old 10-07-2010
Registered!!

Ggsbassist is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: this is the funniest thing ive ever done...

Awesome idea! I may do something similar and will post pictures if I can get it right.
Old 10-08-2010
Registered!!

chuckisduck is an unknown quantity at this point

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA good by torque (not that we had any to bein with )

oh yeah, i got $10 gift certificate for circuit city at hot import nights. the filter was $13 so i paid a $3 difference.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Do you still have this mod on the car?

Was hot import nights in Dallas? One of my friends was one of the car girls (she had a twin, making it a plus)
Old 10-09-2010
Registered!!

zellow is an unknown quantity at this point

hahaha thats sick bro ! good job!
Old 10-21-2010
Registered!!

HommeDeBois is an unknown quantity at this point

Bump!
This is awesome!
Has anyone cut into their hood right by their intake filter to get even more cold air down the pipe?
Old 10-21-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Stop bumping this thread it is 6 years old.
Old 11-02-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HommeDeBois
Bump!
This is awesome!
Has anyone cut into their hood right by their intake filter to get even more cold air down the pipe?
I think you mean something like this

Lol

Quick Reply: this is the funniest thing ive ever done...