General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

RSX-S steering wheel swap completed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Question RSX-S steering wheel swap completed!

Hey guys, I have managed to acquire an RSX sturrin wheel from a friend...pickin it up on Friday. I've searched the forums on this topic but all the threads veer wildly off course to people saying "JDM!!!! Droool" or something equally inane. Anyhoo:

1) I want to keep airbag functionality, so I'm confirming what I read in one post - that the airbag harness is the same between RSX and Civic (in my case, EL)? Can someone verify this for me?

2) A little less importantly, I also want to keep cruise control function. My new wheel comes with the control unit already on it, but here again I'm wondering if it's plug and play. I can get my hands on the subharness that plugs into the RSX wheel so if need be I can tap and splice, but then will the basic wiring match up, ie blue wire/red wire (or something to that effect)? I have no problems relocating the cruise control buttons to the steering column, but I really would like to keep them on the wheel..for my own perfectionist silliness. I wonder if the control units can be swapped instead.....

3) How much you think I could get for a 2002 EL leather-wrapped sturrin wheel, WITH airbag? Of course everyone here drives Civics so the A logo would be kinda out of place...but....

Can anyone help me out with some input? Anyone? iamfob? God? Jeebus? Hello? Is this thing on?

The message above was originally what I posted. I installed the wheel today, easy as pie. Below is a pic of the installed wheel in my (dirty) car. I also have a link to the imagestation gallery with another pic plus pics of my old steering wheel at the bottom somewhere.

Last edited by TeLLy; 03-27-2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Could a mod please move this to the appropriate technical forum? My bad for not opening this up to the whole board.

Also if someone has a pic of the RSX cruise control harness/plug, posting it up will net you 200 points. Thanks!!!

Last edited by TeLLy; 03-23-2004 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2004

player will become famous soon enoughplayer will become famous soon enough
Ask pharoh, i think he has an SIR wheel, i dont know of the RSX is the same.

as for the Cruise, it is hard to actually keep it on the wheel if it doesnt have some already, what i have seen people do is move the buttons to the middle coin holder instead,
Old 03-24-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Thanks for the reply player. What do you mean by "as for the Cruise, it is hard to actually keep it on the wheel if it doesnt have some already"
The RSX wheel I'm getting has cruise control buttons on it, but what I'm most worried about is the fact that the harness that plugs into the EL (same as Civic) steering wheel will not fit into the RSX steering wheel. If that's the case, I would want to splice an RSX harness into my existing wiring, again under the assumption that at least the wiring schematics are the same.
Old 03-25-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

There must be SOMEONE out there who's done an RSX wheel swap...
Old 03-25-2004

Sorry Telly, i thought the RSX wheel doesnt come with a cruise control thing, so i was talking about keeping the one you have now and just relocating it.

I am guessing they would be the same, but dont take my word on it, try to ask clubrsx.com or something, or goto an acura dealership, and let them give you the wiring diagram for the RSX wheel harness, and the EL harness, and compare them.
Old 03-25-2004
Registered!!

luciferi is an unknown quantity at this point
Since your in Canada, your airbag is a 2 wire, single inflator type like the jdm ones. The US airbag is 4 wire, dual inflator. So if your RSX airbag has two wires you should be good.

As for the cruise wiring, the RSX switch has the generic Honda flat 3 pin plug.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rsxcablereel.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	24975  
Old 03-25-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Thanks luciferi...points are yours.
Old 03-27-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Well, installed it this morning, relatively easy after waiting the 30 minutes after unplugging the power supply. Few things:

- Wheel fits perfectly on the column of course
- airbag plugs right in
- cruise control harness (thankfully one came with the RSX wheel) had to be spliced into the EL cruise control harness. easy
- I looked for like 5 minutes for where the horn wire (brown) plugs into the RSX wheel...I couldn't find it ANYWHERE. So I clipped the harness off, stripped the wire, then just grounded it into a screw on the RSX wheel that would be hidden by the airbag assembly. Whoopsie. When I reconnected the battery, the horn started going off. So I'm like WTF, I don't wanna have to leave this thing hanging. But then as I removed the airbag assembly a SECOND time to check it out, I found that the harness plugs into a spot on the RSX AIRBAG assembly. Dammit! I took the stripped wire end and just connected it manually to the new point and then wrapped with e-tape. Reconnected batt, horn works.

Took it out for a drive, tested the cruise control and horn - faboo. I love the slightly thicker feel of this steering wheel. Yay!
Now who wants to buy an EL leather steering wheel?
Old 03-27-2004

pics dood,

what does the EL look like and how much
Old 03-27-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Here's a couple. I'll post up a FS for the steering wheel soon enough:

Imagestation
Old 03-28-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Wheeeeee!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	file00153.jpg
Views:	1534
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	25183  
Old 03-28-2004
Registered!!

18inchpride is an unknown quantity at this point
looks good, i have mine sitting in my garage, my bro's DC5 has all new interior, so the momo one replaced his stock, but im debating whether to put the wheel in or not! do you guys think i should change the ACURA sign on the wheel if i put it in?????

thanks!
Old 03-28-2004
Registered!!

Civryder02 is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm tryin to find an oem ep3 steering wheel ... and one of those vinyl red H emblems off ebay and i'll be set
Old 03-28-2004
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
Nice