General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Protect Your Car NOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Protect Your Car NOW!!

Okay members, this thread is in response to a growing number of break-ins to members cars here. This is seriously pissing me off and I hate car thieves so much!

So all of you have to protect yourself. I've compiled a list of long posts from myself and certain other members about how to protect your ride and audio systems. PLEASE read this and do something.

Civics DO NOT come with a factory alarm system! Go buy a real one. That's the first step. Here's some more, and I hope you guys read through and do some of the stuff.

POSTED BY GEARBOX (Me!)

I'll give you one scenario as to what a good security system consists of, step by step as someone tries to steal your audio. Most thieves will follow these steps, although some are smarter.

1) The first thing a thief wants to do is disable your alarm. So if you have one, you're already one step ahead. He is either going to open the door and pop the hood, or break the grill from outside.

2) Next thing he will do is cut the cables going to the siren to shut it up. But WAIT! You have a second siren hidden under the hood, and the thief doesn't know where.

3) Now he is forced to disconnect the battery, all the while time is passing and the siren keeps going. He disconnects the battery and it still doesn't work. That's because your sirens are hooked up to a backup battery inside the car.

4) Now the theif decides whether it's worth it to continue or get caught. If continuing, the theif must now cut all the cables around the positive ternimal in order to finally disable power to the second siren. This takes more time and assumes the theif has wire cutters.

5) Finally the siren is off and it's time to go for the goods in the trunk. He goes inside the car and pulls the trunk release. But the trunk doesn't pop open! That's because you've disabled it.

6) Now assuming the theif has a crowbar, he will have to try and pry the trunk open. He succeeds, but the trunk will only open an inch. The theif takes a peek inside and sees your sweet amps and sub. Unfortunately, there is a thick cable that ties the trunk to the floor. If he doesn't have wire cutters, too bad.

7) One last hope! Maybe he can try and break down the locked rear seats. So he gets the crowbar and starts hacking away at the lock.

8) Yay! finally he gets to the audio. Overjoyed, he pulls out the equipment and starts loading it in his car while the car is messed up from having the hood and trunk opened.

Now unless you're parked in an abandoned warehouse, someone will see this going on and call the cops or yell something. Most stupid theives will give up after trying the first couple things on the list. Alot of them won't even bring more than a screwdriver and a rock with them.

UInfortunately, the center console and deck can be removed and cleanly unplugged within 10 seconds.

Hope this helps some of you doing security to your cars.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

POSTED BY HWOODY77

Hey everyone, I'm going to be writing up like a whole bunch of tips for an alarm install.
This is going to be for those that install the alarms themselves and for those that have someone else do it, so they know what to ask for.

So let's start with the basics, what is the purpose of an alarm...

No matter what alarm you get the main purpose of the alarm is to attract attention to theives if they are trying to steal your car. You can have a cheap $100 or a top of the line $1000 alarm, the purpose is the same as I stated above. Remember that alarms are a siren with sensors...of course there is more to an alarm but basically that's what it is.

Always keep in mind that if someone wants your car bad enough they will take it, no matter what. There are ways around everything, the other purpose of an alarm is to get theives to not want to steal your car. If theives walk up to your car and notice this top of the line security system, hopefully they won't think your car is worth all the trouble.
You want the theif to go onto the next car, and leave your car alone.

Ok, so no we're getting somewhere. We know why we want to add an alarm.

So what kind of alarm should you get?
Well, if you're really trying to stop your car form getting stolen the most important thing isn't the alarm itself...but the actual install. A $800 alarm is pretty much worthless if installed like most electronic shops install them. On the other hand a $100 alarm with a few extra accessories will do A LOT more then a more expensive alarm if installed with some thinking behind it.
If there is one thing I want to stress in this whole post it's the following...YOUR ALARM IS ONLY WORTH AS MUCH AS YOUR INSTALL. So please keep that in mind whenever you goto buy an alarm...if you go out to buy this nice 2 way pager with all these features it's only worth as much as your alarm.

Now, you may be asking how come your $900 alarm is only worth as much as it's install?
Well say you goto a shop, and you get the new 2 way pager system that's it. You don't ask any questions about the install, you just let them do what they have to do.

So a few days later a theif walks down the street and really likes your car. He sees you have an alarm, but is going to attempt to steal your car anyways. He figures most alarms aren't installed in any special way so he decides to go for it.

So he begins, first thing he notices is the transmitter for your 2 way pager on your windsheild so he breaks your window with his fist and a rag and the fun begins. Now maybe your out of range and your not going to be recieveing signal, so his first step is to disconnect the antenna on your windsheild. There goes your 2 way pager...now the theif can go one of two ways...he can cut your siren or cut the power to the brain of the alarm.
Now if you have a regualr installation the siren is going to be in the engine bay probaly on the shock body so he opens your hood and cuts the wiring...no more unwanted attention.
Or he'll cut the wiring for the alarm itself just go under the dash find the power wire cut it and that's it...your alarm isn't going anything anymore.

In a matter of 1 minute your alarm is stopped from working.

So how can you stop this from happening to you?

Well when you go out to buy your alarm spend a little more on those little accessories or that extra labor.

What should you ask for?
Well, there are many things you should aks first. The first thing you should ask for them to install the brain in a harder to get to spot. I would say 95% of the alarms I install are all under the dash, make sure to put it some where else.
Like where? Places like under the carpeting of the car itself, behind the center console, just somewhere that is going to be hard for a theif to get to...and always be intuitive when deciding a spot...the longer it takes for you to think of that spot the harder the theif is going to have try to find your brain.

Remeber the scenario where the theif cut the power to your alarm? If the alarm is hidden somewhere and the theif decides to look for the wiring in the ignition harness then a back-up battery will do wonders, because the theif will cut that wire to cut power to your brain, but it's still going to be working because it's going to be getting power from the back-up battery. Also keep in mind that you want this hidden too.

Next, remember how that theif cut your siren? Have the installers, hide the siren somewhere...in your front bumper, somewhere that you can't get to then just opening up the hood. Also, throw in an extra one and have them hide that one too...JUST in case they find one of them then they still have to find the other.

Now you might want to ask them to have the wiring of the alarm all the same color, there is a positive and a negative to this. Say the installers make the wiring all red, then the theives are going to have a little more trouble trying to stop the alarm from working...especially if they are novices at stealing cars. Imagine the theif going under your dash and he finds that all the wiring is red(Or any other color), he goes to be in a lot of trouble if he dosen't know how to steal cars.
The drawback to this is if you ever have any problems, just like it's going to be harder for them to find the wire they are looking for the same will apply to you.

Another tip is to have the wiring for the alarm to be in another spot then under the ignition harness, like behind the fusebox. This step will throw theives off the most because if it's behind the fusebox it's a lot harder to get to and find out which wire they have to cut.

Here is a tip for a two pager system, have them hide the transmitter in the headliner or something of that sort.
If the theif can't reach the transmitter by reaching his hand throw the window it'll make it that much harder for him to steal...because if this theif could break your window without the alarm going off all he has to do is reach over and disconnect the transmitter...but if it's harder to get to he's going to have to open your door and that will make your alarm go off.

There are lots of other accessories and tricks for an alarm install, but these are the most important.

That's it fellas, if I remember anything else I'll post it...any other tips, discussions, or arguments would be welcome.

POSTED BY HUSTLELIKEMOFO

i will list everythign i did to my car and if u guys can help me out and tell me how u can get around all the **** i did and jack the car it will be appreciated because i can get some more ideas to protect it. thanx

i went to the extreme with protecting my car, jere is what i have. my subs sealed down to the body of the car with 16 bolts which are holding down the 8 brackets whcih are connected to the box. i also have 2 one inch metal crosses connected to my box which are wrapped around the trunk arms (those things on the sides when the trunk opens, its like a " U ". then i have 2 chains holding down my trunk which are connected to a couple spots behind my back seat, since u need a key to open a backseat it'll be that much harder just getting to the locks that are connected ot the chain that is holding down the trunk from it ever being opened. i also disconnected the trunk latch so thats useless. my system was stolen from my old car because i was an idiot and didnt even get an alarm, but i learned form my mistake, i sealed that **** with as much **** as i could think of to make it really hard and annoying for som1 to steal. thats just for the system in the back. i have a clifford alarm with a motion sensor and one of those remotes that goes off when the alarm on my car goes off. i have the padlock thing on my break pedal and i have 3 locks on each of the rims. i figure since i do not have the most exotic system and the most exotic **** in my car overall, i'm hoping that a thief wouldnt even want to start with unscrewing all that crap just to steal my system, it will be hard getting into the car plus all the otehr **** to deal with. the padlock thing is a good idea i think, i cant figure out a way to get around it but i'm sure there is a way. but with all the crap i have i'm hoping that the average theif wouldnt want to risk so much time getting in there, then more time taking everythign apart. i hope my biggest threat is a tow truck coming and taking the car away, but since i always use the hand break, the back wheels will be locked like the front wheel and it will be tougher. when my 1rst system got jacked i was really upset cuz i had to work a lot to get it couple years ago.
Old 02-23-2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
player will become famous soon enoughplayer will become famous soon enough
i love the extra siren idea, i need to do that.

just one question, if i tie my trunk down, then how will i open it myself ?
Old 02-23-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
You go in through the back seat, unlock the cable, and pull it off. I never use mine, so it just stays tied down like that. Remember that if it takes you a while to undo, it will take thieves even longer to figure out.

Don't wait until your stuff gets taken and you're out of luck. Protect yourself early.

And you guys feel free to ask questions or add your own ideas
Old 02-23-2004
Registered!!

Kloverz has a little shameless behaviour in the past
now this thread include everthing im loving it thanks man.
Old 02-23-2004
Since 2002 Baby!

chicohonda02 has a spectacular aura aboutchicohonda02 has a spectacular aura about
THis is the best. Thank you. Good idea putting something like this up.
Old 02-23-2004
Premium Member

You're welcome everyone. I just feel bad everytime I read another thread about someone getting jacked.
Old 02-23-2004
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
"Civics DO NOT come with a factory alarm system! "
They do roll ur window dwon and then lock with remout it will go off just like when some brecks the window.
Old 02-23-2004
Registered!!

egot2da4th is an unknown quantity at this point
how effective is THE CLUB ?
Old 02-24-2004
Premium Member

The factory alarm is stupid, and it's just like it doesn't have one. How many people actually look if someone's horn is honking? Keyless entry isn't an alarm, either.

The club is garbage. I can just cut your steering wheel and slip it right off! Get the brake pedal lock. Far more effective.
Old 02-24-2004
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

chocobo15_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
after i install my alarm...i'm plannin some nifty tricks for them damned thieves...assuming they don't jack my car altogether, i'm gonna implement hidden cameras, with DVD'rs to catch the culprit...
this way, even after break in, i can give the dvdr to the police and hope they catch the guy!

i duno how that'll all work as of now, i'm still figuring out the alarm install
Old 02-24-2004
Premium Member

Yes, cameras are a great idea! Remember that discouraging a thief is the best way to go. Someone shopping will usually pass the ones with alarm, or other deterrent. If they actually try to break in, then you've got to step it up. You need physical protection on top of electronic.
Old 02-24-2004

player will become famous soon enoughplayer will become famous soon enough
Another good but pricy idea, for all of us who actually use their trunks

Get an electronic actuator, shave the trunk lock, and attach the actuator to open and close the trunk with the push of a controller that should be placed under the driver seat. the theive will have no idea whats going on.
Old 02-24-2004
Registered!!

ceddy is an unknown quantity at this point
my couzin has a proximity sensor in his car. a proximity sensor is a sensor that makes a loud short beeping sound when someone is right by ur car ( like somone who is an inch or two from it). It also makes a beeping sound when u try to tamper with the front hood. heres another trick with it, when u have ur windows down and someone sticks there arms into ur car, the alarm will go off. ( but why would u leave ur car unattended with its windows down =P )
i recommend everyone should get this alarm, im not sure bout the price - but i think it is really xpensive.
Old 02-24-2004
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
After my car was broken into I invested in a Viper alarm, which has a good reputation and is a dependable system. The alarm comes with a shock sensor, which any little tapping can set off if it's set sensitive enough. Mine is set just as sensative as it can be, a little rumble from an exhaust can set it off. It is loud as hell too, and it lets me know when someone touches my car. Needless to say my neighbors hate me but as long as I know whenever my car is messed with it's all good.
Old 02-24-2004
Premium Member

I had the proximity sensor I got for $150. It was cool at first, but there are tons of squirrels and birds that go under the car and constantly set it off. So I took it out.

Dual sirens are very loud indeed. Pierces your ears. I always say that's a step above the rest. If someone won't look when a regular alarm is going off, maybe they'll respond better to a louder one.
Old 02-24-2004
Registered!!

JSlick is an unknown quantity at this point
I just had a Viper 350HV Alarm with power door locks in my 2002 DX Coupe.

Word of advice:

If they're going to mount the alarm "brain" under the steeling column where the fuse box is, make sure they don't fudge-up the wiring. The Alarm was installed yesterday and the wires got tangled on the steering wheel shaft. It prevented me from turning my steering wheel all the way to the right.

How cheap is that?! Make sure they wire cleanly or else it'll really mess with your steering.
Old 02-24-2004
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
I definetly agree with you on the dual sirens. A buddy of mine has 2 on his car and it's earsplittingly loud.

One problem I had with mine that JSlick reminded me of, check the wiring. Mine was grounded to a screw in the firewall that they put in there and over time it loosened. If your ground isn't tight, your alarm can malfunction.
Old 02-27-2004
Premium Member

Yeah, and make sure one of the sirens is hidden somewhere. They will cut wires to the visible one and get shocked when they still hear it. Most smart thieves will just give up.
Old 03-16-2004
Premium Member

Bump. Anyone else getting an alarm or doing something to protect your car yet?
Old 03-16-2004
Jam out with your clam out.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
i want this one alarm that goes beep beep when you lock it, but not he horn some chirping kinda noise, lol. it sounds so pimpin.
Old 03-16-2004
Registered!!

formulad97 is an unknown quantity at this point
good post

I wish I had read this last month. My civic was broken into last month, I had a Viper installed, but did not have a back up Batt or hood mirco swith. get these added to your car now!
Old 03-16-2004
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by gearbox
Bump. Anyone else getting an alarm or doing something to protect your car yet?
Yep. Me!

I'm getting one of the new Viper 791XV's. It's a nice 2-way system with some nice features. Security-wise I'll hide the brain, the transmitter, the valet switch, and the siren. I think I'll also buy one of the DEI (Directed Electronics) horns for the interior. It's supposed to emit an ear-piercing scream that irritates thieves when they're in the car.

I'll hide the wires within the factory harnesses whenever possible and I'll use wire loom that looks like factory in other places. I read the installation guide on directed.com and it gives you some good tips. I don't have a system with subs and amps, but I think I'll pay attention to security when I do get some after reading this thread.

I have some tint on my windows that is hard to tear through, so it should be hard to get through the window. I guess that's another tip. Get some thick full metal tint. Expensive, but worth it. Also looks nice 'cause it's kinda reflective. What else? Hmm... I guess setting the sensitivity of the shock sensor to go off only when your car is really tampered with.

The backup battery for the alarm and for the siren is a very good thing; just make sure to wire it up to both. If it's only wired up to the siren, then when the brain loses power, the siren will stop. hehe... Depends on the alarm though I guess. Maybe some activate the siren and the siren had a little switch that just stays on until the brain tells it that everything is OK?

That's all the ideas I've got.
Old 03-16-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
My recommendation: Don't bolt down your system. Keep your receipts of everything you buy, take pictures of it, keep all the boxes, and make sure you've got good car insurance. This way they steal your stuff, you get all new stuff, and your car doesn't have to go to a body shop for a few weeks to fix everything they broke trying to get in.

I arrived at this conclusion after a friend's car got broken into - alarm blaring the whole time, or so we believe. Actually Sawzall'd a hole in the door around the lock and broke a ton of stuff in the dash to get the radio out, not to mention cutting all the wiring. I'd rather they just hopped in there, jacked my deck, and went on their way.

Last edited by VTEC01EX; 03-16-2004 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2004
Nugget Garage Since 2004

Big Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant futureBig Baller L has a brilliant future
great post gearbox! Im definately gonna take a look at the install of my alarm system and see whats going on. My friend has a backup siren that only goes off when the batter is disconnected. So they disconnect the battery to stop the first siren and then the second one comes on. Relocating the siren is a great idea too, and getting a second one is even better. Once again great post!
Old 03-16-2004
Premium Member

Thanks. I'm just looking out for you guys. I think two sirens is a must, because one just isn't loud enough anymore to draw attention. I set mine off once and it was VERY loud with two. I may even get a third (only $20 per siren).
Old 03-16-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by egot2da4th
how effective is THE CLUB ?

Cut the steering wheel
Old 03-17-2004
Registered!!

01SOHCcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
This thread
If this page isn't a sticky yet! make it one
Old 03-17-2004
Premium Member

The worst thing you can do is rule yourself out as a target because you don't have nicer things. Thieves will steal ANYTHING that they can sell for money.

In my old 87 Jetta, I saved up alot to get a $250 kenwood deck. It was a lower end model, and I thought noone would want to even steal it. Big mistake. It got broken into parked 10 feet away from where I worked. No alarm, so noone heard anything.

The biggest mistake people make is thinking their car won't be broken into. It will! Do all this stuff before you lose everything you worked hard for. Don't be like me and wait until after the fact.
Old 03-17-2004
Registered!!

lid6662 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think two sirens is a must, because one just isn't loud enough anymore to draw attention. I set mine off once and it was VERY loud with two. I may even get a third (only $20 per siren).
Where to get one at and how hard of a install....
Sounds like a good idea!
Old 03-17-2004
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
sucks, but the only reason why I dont get a system or DVD etc.

is cuz of theft.. just not worth the extra money, and extra money for alarm.. but still not 100% theft proof..

:\

so the entertainment stays home, and stock CD player stays in.

Quick Reply: Protect Your Car NOW!!