General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Protect Your Car NOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kevin78 is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm not sure if most of you guys know but the viper 790vx and newer models if installed correctly has an option where you can activate your system to automatically shut down your ignition system 30 seconds after the car is turned off .. i believe its in the install/programming guide ...also the proximity sensor mentioned previously can be shut off when needed to prevent false alarms such as squirrels n rain etc .. its a good feature to have .. also you can arm the system while the car is running/ driving its supposedly to be a hijacking deterent.. the gps system is better than the onstar system, there is no opperator to talk to also there is something called geofencing where if your car is moved a couple feet you will be notified via email, cell phone work phone home phone or all of the above ... its $500 i think but i think its deffinately worth it $100 a year for subscription roadside assistance included so all you people who pay like $50 + for AAA you come out better and like gearbox said you can remote start your car from the other side of the world as long as you have access to a phone or internet ... also last but not least once in a while check your hood pin people if you dont have one get one installed if they get to the engine bay without a fight its almost over if not already

EDIT: just so you guys know i've spoken to a couple of installers and certain alarms when the car is tilted to a certain angle it can short circuit the system and be aware theives are now into towing your car to a safer location because what normal person wouldn't think someones car being towed as suspicious

Last edited by kevin78; 04-09-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

Ershall is an unknown quantity at this point
nice tips, thanks Kevin
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

El_Mariachi is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys.

I’ve been a victim of attempted brake-ins two times and at $400 a window it gets a little expensive. Now these thieves were not of the smart variety, both times there were warning stickers (not identifying the type of alarm) and very visible LED’s. The first time they didn’t even take the CD case sitting on the center console, they smashed the window, freaked out and ran off. Needless to say I hide everything I can now. I guess there was a third attempt as well…but they missed the window and hit the door with the crowbar (or whatever they used). The dumb @#$.

Now keep in mind that an alarm is a DETERANT!!! You want thieves to pass up your ride and go to the next one. Someone else here said it best…”If a thief wants you car or stereo bad enough they are going to get it.”

A good tip is to have a hood lock. I use a locking door chain for the hood. If they can’t get the hood up there is less damage that can be done.

Here is a link of THE BEST CAR ALARM OUT THERE!!! Good Luck.

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umsmit89/TrunkMonkey1.wmv

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umsmit89/TrunkMonkey2.wmv

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umsmit89/TrunkMonkey3.wmv

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umsmit89/TrunkMonkey4.wmv
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

Crackhead79 is an unknown quantity at this point
I can't afford all that, I went to Handa though and got the factory + security system for the car, I'll take the other steps to make sure she goes no where but home- hopefully...
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

SilvLX is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont know if u guys heard about the new system called lifetrak. It's like a lojack, but steps ahead of it. If your car is stolen, within 5 minutes you get a phone call. If it really was stolen the company tracks it on their computer, slows it down to 5mph and shuts off the engine. Then they call the cops. You can also track your own car from home or any computer with internet. Sounds interesting. they have a website lifetrak.net. What do u think?
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

kevin78 is an unknown quantity at this point
the viper gps system u can shut your car down yourself as well as track it ...5mins for notification is a long time imo
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

I have allready taken steps to put a backup battery in my trunk and I'm looking into my options...
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

Just out of curiosity, how hard is it to bypass the immobilizer system?
Old 04-09-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Best things you can do are physical stuff like tie down the trunk, set hand brake (for towing), etc. Even just an alarm is better than those people who don't have anything, or the ones that think keyless entry is an alarm.
Old 04-09-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Pretend that you don't have immobilizer. People have had their cars stolen here with just a screwdrvier in the ignition. Immobilizer works about as well as locking the doors--useless.

I strongly suggest a second siren, because people will look when they hear a super loud sound like that.
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

yeah, thinking of a good place to put a second siren
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

024drlx is an unknown quantity at this point
i placed one between the back bumper and the spare tire, i build like a custom cage for it also to protect it. i wish i had a digi cam
Old 04-09-2004
Premium Member

Sweet. Try not to reveal ideas, but I guess there's a ton of places to put it. It's also a good idea to go stealth and make all the wires look the same. If you've seen my engine bay, you know that there's over 10 wires connecting to both terminals of the battery. Sometimes it even confuses me
Old 04-16-2004
Premium Member

BUMP
Old 07-14-2004
Registered!!

JAG609 is an unknown quantity at this point
i know this post is olllld. but here's an idea. let the bastard take 800-1000 in stereo equipment to avoid the 5 grand hell break tryin to get to it....
Old 07-14-2004
Premium Member

Thieves won't risk beating up a car to get in, because someone will notice. They like to be stealthy--cut the alarm asap, then have time to get in the trunk. Most crooks won't risk getting caught while trying to open the trunk with a huge crowbar.
Old 07-14-2004
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
takumi is on a distinguished road
My local CC doesn't have any sirens, can you get them online? Do you have a DIY on how to install them? And a local car shop installed my alarm for me, is it easy to relocate the brain/siren? Sorry, I have a lot of questions :\ Thanks!
Old 07-15-2004
Registered!!

518 is on a distinguished road
Okay. Since the brand of the alarm doesnt make any alarm better and it lies solely of how the alarm is installed. I will install my own OEM Honda Security system. Is there any DIY how to install a back-up battery and another set of siren?

$120 Honda OEM Security System.

TIA

edit:

I should read the whole thread and not just three pages.

I found this from gearbox' statement:
Sirens can be got from Circuit city or other car alarm install place. You can just splice it into the power wire going to your first siren, except closer to the battery so it's not as noticable. Then just ground it to the chassis.
And I will use two red wires. They will be of a different brand so I can distinguished which is positive and which is negative.

Last edited by 518; 07-15-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
tia, u can simply look at the DIY on the handa's website.....it's quite detail...

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civelec01.html

$120, eh? im interested too............hehe

the suck part is that...it only honks when something happened...
there should be an option to use a louder siren! hehe =)
Old 07-15-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by zen_master
tia, u can simply look at the DIY on the handa's website.....it's quite detail...

$120, eh? im interested too............hehe

the suck part is that...it only honks when something happened...
there should be an option to use a louder siren! hehe =)
You just made my day

My name is not TIA. TIA is "thanks in advance" I know, too much interweb acronyms

I already printed out the one from handa's and thats where Im ordering mine. I just didnt know how or where to hook up an extra battery and siren.
Old 07-15-2004
unique conformist

dannn will become famous soon enough
i dont know if this works but i know a guy who put a bunch of navy seal stickers in his car to deter thieves.
but he is a navy seal though.
Old 07-17-2004
got banned

civic02ex is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Well, I had a clifford paging alarm system installed in my car and I must say it works wonders. One day I was inside my house and had my car parked outside on the street and all of a sudden the pager starts going off. Without even thinking I ran outside and found that there was a HUGE dump truck right behind my car. The truck was very close and the truck driver was loading some huge branches into the back - so I asked the driver to stop and wait for me to move my car. Well, as soon as I moved about a foot or so . . . the STUPID man who continued to move the branches despite my kind request dropped a huge branch that could have caused some major damage to my body kit had I not moved my car.

I know that this has nothing to do with thieves, but it goes to show that a paging system can serve other functions as well. Not only will it keep your car safe (in some cases), but it can help prevent any major damage to your car.

Oh yeah, I've also had a situation in which a person walked by my car at night - way to close for comfort. I remember thinking what the heck is this person doing walking around at 1 to 3 in the morning? (I was up because I couldn't sleep that day). Anyway, my alarm went crazy and may have deterred a possible break in.

So, I guess you can say I am pretty happy with my alarm system. Plus, I have some other gadgets in my car (hood lock, proximity sensor, tilt/motion sensor, back up siren, etc . . . ) that help out alot. I am currently thinking of what else I can do to protect my car . . . so keep those awesome suggestions coming guys.

Old 07-18-2004
Registered!!

youknow is an unknown quantity at this point
take your ecu out with battery cut off and lock your steering wheel b4 you get out.. my friends civic was lifted up with a fork lift and put on a flat bed, your never safe.. good luck guys, i have cameras infront of my house.. car is alwasy in the garage..
Old 07-18-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by youknow
take your ecu out with battery cut off and lock your steering wheel b4 you get out.. my friends civic was lifted up with a fork lift and put on a flat bed, your never safe.. good luck guys, i have cameras infront of my house.. car is alwasy in the garage..

But statistics shows that most car are stolen not from the owners house.

And like you said, we are never going to be safe.
Old 07-28-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
where's the best place to hide the backup siren?
Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
i will sticky this for a few days...

Injen
Old 07-28-2004
Premium Member

Put the siren somewhere that's not visible. Mine's inside the bumper someplace and is not easy to get to. Also I have more than 10 wires coming to the battery, so thieves are gonna have a hard time picking the right one or just cutting one by one.
Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

I found a Siren with built-in battery in it. It also charges from the car's battery (if need be). The site has a DIY but you have to buy the product from them. Its one of my future plans, maybe next month. It only costs $33.50 plus shipping. I have previously ordered from this site, a HU wiring harness. I might also get the CrimeStopper alarm, spend extra money on this Extra Siren/Battery Backup and spend extra time installing it myself. Looks like a good buy to me.

Siren with Battery Backup Link
Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

chrisleecool has a spectacular aura aboutchrisleecool has a spectacular aura about
So how much money should I spend for a decent alarm set-up with installation fee ??
Old 07-28-2004
Premium Member

Don't spend over $500 like me. There are $100 alarms on ebay that have more features than mine. A pager would be very useful...

Quick Reply: Protect Your Car NOW!!