General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Protect Your Car NOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
^^ I hea ya, i've got my stock deck but I do have a four way amp for the factory speakers and also an amp w/ sub. I swear though, with the factory deck in place, nobody thinks you've got a system
Old 03-17-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, good idea sticking with the stock deck. I just can't do that with my setup.

Sirens can be got from Circuit city or other car alarm install place. You can just splice it into the power wire going to your first siren, except closer to the battery so it's not as noticable. Then just ground it to the chassis.

It's really terrible what these thieves made me go through. I've wasted almost $1,000 on just protecting my car with alarms and stuff. I could have bought a DVD player for that much. But since there are theives, I can't do that. I can't use my trunk, and it takes me a minute almost to pop my hood. Rediculous.
Old 03-18-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
i didnt the whole thread becuz my eyes are closing on me.. but i gotta quesiton.

how bout that "lo-jack" thingy?
i herd it was suppose to locate ur car with a computer chip inside the car or sumthin?

example: pretend my car is equiped with lojack, car is stolen at 12midnite, i wake up at 12:30am cuz sum hoodrat calls so i decide to pick up the broad. but wait, my cars gone so i call up police n call the number for the lojack ppl.

fill me in... =|
Old 03-18-2004
JJJ
Registered!!

JJJ is an unknown quantity at this point
you could do what Joedc5 did to my car. We bought 3/4 inch mdf board and put the sub enclosure on top of that. we screwed it onto that and then put the subs in. the amp is screwed to the back of the box and the subs are facing the trunk. In order to take the subs he would have to unscrew them from the box and the amp he would have to get from the back seat. It's sorta a pain to take everything out but that is the idea I guess.
Old 03-19-2004
Registered!!

2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
These are great tips... I watched techtv some time ago and Yoshi had this great article on car alarms you can check it here

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/m...552730,00.html
Old 03-19-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The whole lojack thing is way overpriced and doesn't work very well. Alot of cops aren't equipped with the tracking equipment, and it takes time to activate the signal. Bad idea, imo.
Old 03-20-2004
Registered!!

Ershall is an unknown quantity at this point
awesome post.....I think we should reevaluate the order in which we mod our cars and make an alarm first on the list...immobilizer system or not, Im sure there are ways around that as well...I don't know about you guys but I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of putting my car in the shop if it is broken into or losing the good I buy with my hard-earned cash.

Any recommendation on physical protection just in case I have to protect my car and myself.....I'm under age...and as much as I would want to murder the @$$hole who tries to take my car, an illegal firearm wouldn't really be a good idea. I was thinking a small pony bat or something to that effect.

Any other recommendations on protecting exterior mods? IE body kits and Rims?
Old 03-20-2004
Premium Member

An alarm was my first mod to the car. But as far as protection, maybe keep a baseball bat, but usually thieves work in groups and it will be you against them. Usually fighting won't work unless you got a gun on them, but then they'll come back and set your car on fire.

Some people have gone as far as getting four different wheel locks for each rim. But those things are expensive.
Old 03-20-2004
Registered!!

hmmmm, so basicly what you're saying is avoid confrontation aside from yelling "hey! hey you! what are you doing!?" at them and hope they run, and only fight when threatened? Or get a gun, flash the chrome barrell at them, and hope they don't hold a grudge?

LOL, shoot first and ask questions later.
Old 03-20-2004
Registered!!

my2k1vic is an unknown quantity at this point
good post....was looking for something like this after i found a broken key stuck in my driver side key hole. thank god the key didn't open the locks. quick question, whats the loudest siren that can be bought? i currently have the siren that comes with the viper 600esp and want something louder.also, how do you adjust the sensibility of the alarm? i want it sensitive enough to chrip if someone touchs my car. at the current setting, it takes a good wack for it chrip.
Old 03-20-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by gearbox
An alarm was my first mod to the car. But as far as protection, maybe keep a baseball bat, but usually thieves work in groups and it will be you against them. Usually fighting won't work unless you got a gun on them, but then they'll come back and set your car on fire.

Some people have gone as far as getting four different wheel locks for each rim. But those things are expensive.
Yeah, wheel locks aren't cheap.....investing 20$ more to not lost 1500 worth of rims and tires seems like it would be worth my while though....Either that or increase my theft coverage...new rims and tires are a phone call and a weeks time away I guess....eh I can see both sides...I guess Id rather get a full set of the same lock lugs and increase my theft insurance as I mod my car. That makes sense to me. I always keep my receipts because you know how insurance companies are about aftermarket modifications.
Old 03-20-2004
Registered!!

Kape is an unknown quantity at this point
The first thing I did to my car was to install a Viper allarm. I't all good, but I don't rely on it stopping any thieves. Now, about these tips... why would anyone install the siren in plain view in the engine bay and not hide it? Even if you have only one, it should be hidden. Also, I don't know what alarm systems you guys have seen, but mine came with it's own power backup. What if my battery dies, shouldn't the allarm still work? And all this screwing of equpment and what not is all a waste of time. People that break into cars don't care about wiring and condition of the equipment. If they have to break one of the subs to take the other one out, they don't care, they didn't pay for it. If you screw the subs to a box and the amp to the same box, they'll just cut all the wires that go to that box, take the entire box out and remove the amp and subs out later.
Finally, these tips assume thieves are morrons. It assumes that they brought absolutely no tools (although they can cut through the steering wheel like it was butter, even though the core is made of thicker steel than the club itself.) It assumes thievfes have never heard of suck clever tricks as "hiding the switch under the driver seat" - they'll neve look there. It's like going to the beech and putting your wallet in your shoe - EVERYONE DOES THAT!!! and at the amount of cars thieves break into, they know more tricks than all of us combined. So as soneone here said, just insure your car, and don't worry about it. If it's gonna get stolen, it's gonna get stollen regardless of how much effort you put into avoiding that same thing.
Old 03-20-2004
Premium Member

I also have the viper 600 and got a second siren (same as the one that came with the alarm). It's loud enough with both of them on.

Also you have to realize that most thieves ARE stupid! The guys who broke into my old car used a rock to smash the window, then took a crowbar to the dash.

The most important thing is to keep your system secure from thieves being able to even touch it. If they are able to open the trunk and can't get the amps bolted down, they'll just destroy all your stuff. It's unfortunate, but you just have to think smarter than the average thief.

Kape is right. If you only have one siren, it should be hidden! And there is no reason to have a kill-switch for your alarm.

I've also been told that hiding the brain somewhere doesn't really matter. Those wires still are gonna lead back to the ignition under the steering wheel. So they can cut them there.

This is why you need to do more than just go to a shop, get an alarm installed, and then try to pretend like you're safe. Some thieves don't even care that a siren is going. Have you seen all the stupid people at the store who can't even deactivate their OWN alarm system by pressing a button? Most people are desensitized to that sound by now. Most people don't care if someone else's car is being broken into. When I was working on my blue dash lights and had all kinds of things taken apart, not once did someone stop and yell hey or anything. Of all the weeks of pulling consoles and gauge clusters, I had ONE cop ask if it was my car. So don't count on anyone but yourself to look out for your car.

On another note, I wish I had a pager alarm, since then you could run outside and see what's going on.
Old 03-20-2004
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by ceddy
my couzin has a proximity sensor in his car. a proximity sensor is a sensor that makes a loud short beeping sound when someone is right by ur car ( like somone who is an inch or two from it). It also makes a beeping sound when u try to tamper with the front hood. heres another trick with it, when u have ur windows down and someone sticks there arms into ur car, the alarm will go off. ( but why would u leave ur car unattended with its windows down =P )
i recommend everyone should get this alarm, im not sure bout the price - but i think it is really xpensive.
convertable
Old 03-20-2004
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
sad but true gearbox.... and i live in the city

****, even with cameras watching your car, you cant count on the dumbasses who keep the tapes... bleh, but i am fortunate to keep my car in camera secure garage.
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

the disadvantage of pager alarms is that they have a range...not the option to set up a service where you can get pages anywhere in the continental US for like 10 bucks a month....ooooh, business idea....Anyone know what the range of one of those pagers is?

Yeah, there was an integra with one of those proximity alarms last night at the beach...That thing was crazy. This guy walked between the integra and his car to get into his car and it went off.....it stopped...he started his car and it went off....stopped. he drove off and it went off......seems like it would be way too sensitive to me too.
Old 03-21-2004
Premium Member

The thing you want to avoid most are false alarms. People will just ignore it after a while. That's why I took out my $150 proximity sensor because everytime a squirrel ran under the car, it woud trigger. Directed now has a satellite pager system where you can actually have it call your cellphone when the alarm is triggered, among other things.
Old 03-21-2004
Cocky guys kick ass!

Cocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura about
i'm going for the hidden, and not hidden cameras too. hidden, to catch them, not hidden to scare them away. i'm not sure on details of how i'm doing it though.
Old 03-21-2004
awd pwnz j00

import2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ post details when u get it done.

but yeah this is a way good thread. im going to be doing my alarm soon. im glad i have all of these good ideas to use. thx guys!
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

come to think of it, I think you can get some kind of a cheap dumbie camera somewhere that takes 2 AA batteries with a red light...Strictly to scare people away...that might be something you are interested in but I forget where you get them. It was only like $20 and it had a wire and everything.....looked realistic....but where would you mount it and have it not look like sh*t?
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by gearbox
The thing you want to avoid most are false alarms. People will just ignore it after a while. That's why I took out my $150 proximity sensor because everytime a squirrel ran under the car, it woud trigger. Directed now has a satellite pager system where you can actually have it call your cellphone when the alarm is triggered, among other things.
Hmmmmm.....good idea. How much is it to set up this service and how much to maintain it monthly? I get the idea that you work at a security system installation store or something. You seem to have first hand knowledge on the subject....either that or you just research alot.
Old 03-22-2004
Premium Member

Just research. I'll try and pick up another flyer on this. You can even do stuff like lock/unlock your car over the phone, and see how fast someone is driving your car!
Old 03-22-2004
Registered!!

that's pretty awesome, I must have this system.
Old 03-22-2004
Premium Member

This thing goes as far as being able to call your car on the phone from ANYWHERE and remote start it, arm/disarm, and much more.

Read about it here:

http://www.directed.com/security/viper/gps.asp
Old 03-23-2004
Registered!!

awesome..thanks gearbox, youdaman!
Old 03-23-2004
Registered!!

MYNAMESTAKEN is an unknown quantity at this point
my old car('90 civic) was broken into 3 times. whoever said thieves will steal anything is right. the car was totally stock and after the second time i started taking absolutely everything out of it, even random junk from the backseat like hats/jackets/etc. it still got broken into a third time. when the thieves realized there was nothin to steal they threw window glass all over everything, hood/roof/trunk/seats. everyone said that car was cursed. when i got my new car('97 civic) i got a clifford matrix put in it the week i got it. i added varad leds(bright as ****!), a piezo siren on the inside, and a glass sensor. no problems yet...
Old 03-23-2004
Premium Member

For some reason people always try to rob the older vics. That sucks, and it's best not to have anything visible that a thief might want. People are weird, and someone might just break the window to check the glove box for drug money or something.
Old 04-08-2004
Premium Member

BUMP--let's keep this going.
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

024drlx is an unknown quantity at this point
hey i did the same thing to only i got the viper 790xv(same thing) i add another siren that had a backup battery to it to the outside of the car and another one inside the car. i'll did it at a local circuit city, the guy who worked there is like one of the best in the country.

in the dallas area circuit city viper790xv, remote start, window module, trunk selenoid, extra backup siren, add steel covers to inside doors to prevent lock pops, ask tech to locate the brain in different location, hood and trunk locks with key... the car takes the whole day from 11:30 to 8ish when he called me that it was ready. it was an awesome installed.
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

024drlx is an unknown quantity at this point
the new viper made my directed has came out with the viper gps,
all control by sattelite. its has more option than the onstar...supposely better.

Quick Reply: Protect Your Car NOW!!